The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
I would like to ask for an advice. My math background is really weak (GCSE equivalent).I always enjoyed maths I just did not have the chance to do them on a more advanced level. I really want to improve them because I am thinking to switch to economics next year (did Economics 1A this year). I was thinking to take as an outside course Introduction to Linear Algebra and Calculus next year. Are these courses doable for students with weaker math background? Will the workload be doable?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 781
Hi, I have aquestion for a student at Edinburgh:

How do you find the working load and standards at Edinburgh (for e.g. psychology)? Are theymanageable or do you sometimes feel that they are just too high and you shouldhave better gone elsewhere?

I've just been accepted for MApsychology and now have to choose between another university, which is lovely(Aberdeen), and Edinburgh.
Edinburgh is my dream university, but I somehow think that even thoughEdinburgh is brilliant, I'm afraid that I would simply not cope and thus bettergo to a uni which is probably less demanding. But careerwise, Edinburgh would be my first choice if I get in.

Thanks a lot!

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nicck
I would like to ask for an advice. My math background is really weak (GCSE equivalent).I always enjoyed maths I just did not have the chance to do them on a more advanced level. I really want to improve them because I am thinking to switch to economics next year (did Economics 1A this year). I was thinking to take as an outside course Introduction to Linear Algebra and Calculus next year. Are these courses doable for students with weaker math background? Will the workload be doable?

I didn't take those particular courses myself, but, from what I understand, they are the courses taken by students studying maths as their main degree. For this reason, you can be sure they will be quite intense. However, if you enjoy maths as much as you say, you may be well able for it.

Original post by Elizandra

How do you find the working load and standards at Edinburgh (for e.g. psychology)? Are theymanageable or do you sometimes feel that they are just too high and you shouldhave better gone elsewhere?

I've just been accepted for MApsychology and now have to choose between another university, which is lovely(Aberdeen), and Edinburgh.
Edinburgh is my dream university, but I somehow think that even thoughEdinburgh is brilliant, I'm afraid that I would simply not cope and thus bettergo to a uni which is probably less demanding. But careerwise, Edinburgh would be my first choice if I get in.

Thanks a lot!

If Edinburgh is your "dream university", go for it. If you love the subject and are passionate for it, the workload will be manageable. I've rarely heard of anyone failing to keep up with their workload here, so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. :-)
Hey :smile: I'm in my 2nd year at Edinburgh (studying Psychology)

I wouldn't say that the workload was too much, but when I discuss it with friends at other universities (ones that are a little easier to get into) they seem to think that we get too much work. I guess I didn't notice because I had nothing to compare it to and expected uni to be challenging anyway.

1st year was great, I took philosophy and sociology as well as psychology. The coursework and exam structure were clearly explained. It was generally one main essay per semester for each course, and one exam per course each semester. We had our tutorial/seminar stuff as well which was mainly just to complete 1 or 2 readings each week and have a group discussion.

2nd year has been a lot more challenging, I'm not going to lie. But that is to be expected, I guess. Plus I travel from Glasgow to Edinburgh to attend lectures and tutorials (and didn't in 1st year) so maybe that's the main reason i'm finding it a lot harder.

If Edinburgh is your dream uni then definitely go for it!! Its a beautiful city and a great university. My cousin went to Aberdeen and loved it there, the social life and fun aspect of it seemed more appealing than edinburgh (although edinburgh do have great societies etc), I just feel that the nightlife isn't as great when I compare it to Glasgow, it can be pretty expensive! But obviously that's not the most important aspect when choosing your uni :P

P.s. We have a harry potter society. I'd like to think that this is a massive pull factor :P

I hope ive helped :smile:
Reply 784
If Edinburgh is your "dream university", go for it. If you love the subject and are passionate for it, the workload will be manageable. I've rarely heard of anyone failing to keep up with their workload here, so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. :-)

Thanks, you're right I guess! Which subject are you doing? :smile:
Reply 785
Original post by StarlightBliss
Hey :smile: I'm in my 2nd year at Edinburgh (studying Psychology)

I wouldn't say that the workload was too much, but when I discuss it with friends at other universities (ones that are a little easier to get into) they seem to think that we get too much work. I guess I didn't notice because I had nothing to compare it to and expected uni to be challenging anyway.

1st year was great, I took philosophy and sociology as well as psychology. The coursework and exam structure were clearly explained. It was generally one main essay per semester for each course, and one exam per course each semester. We had our tutorial/seminar stuff as well which was mainly just to complete 1 or 2 readings each week and have a group discussion.

2nd year has been a lot more challenging, I'm not going to lie. But that is to be expected, I guess. Plus I travel from Glasgow to Edinburgh to attend lectures and tutorials (and didn't in 1st year) so maybe that's the main reason i'm finding it a lot harder.

If Edinburgh is your dream uni then definitely go for it!! Its a beautiful city and a great university. My cousin went to Aberdeen and loved it there, the social life and fun aspect of it seemed more appealing than edinburgh (although edinburgh do have great societies etc), I just feel that the nightlife isn't as great when I compare it to Glasgow, it can be pretty expensive! But obviously that's not the most important aspect when choosing your uni :P

P.s. We have a harry potter society. I'd like to think that this is a massive pull factor :P

I hope ive helped :smile:

Thank you this really helped me! :smile: Would you mind if I write you a personal message if I have any further questions? :smile:
Reply 786
I have another question, seems like I have taken over this threat :smile:

How lenient would you consider Edinburgh concerning the exact meeting of conditions? Do you think there is a chance for admission if your grades deviate slightly from the offer (but are still well above the minimum entry requirements)?

I'm asking this because even though I'm quite confident to meet the conditions, I get very nervous before exams. It would just be reassuring (or not) to possibly get a feedback on the chance to still get in even if I should "mess up" a little.
I don't think this has happened so far (this was before the offer, when I thought I'd go for my other unconditional one) but I have my last exam on Thursday and now I'm starting to worry. This impacts my concentration way too much!

What I think of "deviancy" would be something like this: the offer is 1.2 on a scale of 1.0 to 4.0, exams must be 13 points out of 15. Minimum requirement is 2.0 with 12 points in all exams.
Do you think I would stand a chance to get in with 1.3 and e.g. one exam with (11 or)12 points?

This would be great to know just for calming down = focusing better. Thanks for any comments. :smile:
Reply 787
x

I'm guessing from your offer type that you're from the US? (Or, somewhere other than the UK, anyway.)
I'm not sure if it would be any different for international students, because the university are generally quite keen to have them (as they can make more money from international student fees), but if you were coming from the UK, I would say no, there is no leniency. If they give an offer, you need to meet the offer.
Reply 788
Original post by daeonica
I'm guessing from your offer type that you're from the US? (Or, somewhere other than the UK, anyway.)
I'm not sure if it would be any different for international students, because the university are generally quite keen to have them (as they can make more money from international student fees), but if you were coming from the UK, I would say no, there is no leniency. If they give an offer, you need to meet the offer.

I think she is referring to European qualifications, maybe German or Eastern European in which case EU students are considered in the same funding bucket as Scottish students and places are extremely limited. With non EU internationals, as you've said, the uni is desperate for them but EU non UK and Scottish students are the most 'undesirable' group as there's strict quotas.
Reply 789
Original post by oxymoronic
I think she is referring to European qualifications, maybe German or Eastern European in which case EU students are considered in the same funding bucket as Scottish students and places are extremely limited. With non EU internationals, as you've said, the uni is desperate for them but EU non UK and Scottish students are the most 'undesirable' group as there's strict quotas.

Thanks to both of you :smile: Yes, I'm German. I still can't believe that I actually got an offer, it is just incredibly amazing!
Thank you this really helped me! :smile: Would you mind if I write you a personal message if I have any further questions? :smile:

Not at all :smile: Sorry for the slow reply, im new to this and not too used to it yet haha. Message anytime! :smile:

Thanks a lot!

I wouldn't worry abou the work load too much. Tbh if you're going to any of the medieval universities I reckon the work load is probably gonna be similar. I go to Aberdeen and my twin brother goes to Glasgow (which I reckon is held in equal academic status to Edinburgh?) and we find the work load about the same.

So my advice to you would be to follow your dream and go to Edinburgh (as much as I love Aberdeen haha). Although if you are really considering going to Aberdeen my work mate is in 4th year studying MA Psychology (well she's pretty much done) and really enjoyed it! Also my best friend from school is studying Biology at Aberdeen but picked a first year Psychology module and really enjoyed it. Good luck with choosing! :smile: I was stuck between Aberdeen and Glasgow for months and my brother Glasgow/Edinburgh. I remember the stress haha
I got decent AS levels and am predicted decent grades of AAA (History, politics and Geography)

However for GCSE I did badly getting 8 C's and 2 B's. They were a longtime ago however. Do you think I have a chance of getting into Edinburgh for an MA in History?
Reply 793
Original post by mctruffle
I got decent AS levels and am predicted decent grades of AAA (History, politics and Geography)

However for GCSE I did badly getting 8 C's and 2 B's. They were a longtime ago however. Do you think I have a chance of getting into Edinburgh for an MA in History?

I assume you mean to apply for 2014 entry? If you applied for 2013 entry, the deadline for responses passed a couple of weeks ago, so you should have an answer in UCAS track.

In any case, your predicted grades meet the minimum requirements for History, so your application will be considered. Every course in Edinburgh is oversubscribed, so it's very competitive and plenty of excellent candidates get rejected every year. Your GCSE grades don't work in your favour, but a strong personal statement and other factors can help offset that. Grades aren't everything to an application. I was offered my place with grades lower than average for my course.
Reply 794
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
I wouldn't worry abou the work load too much. Tbh if you're going to any of the medieval universities I reckon the work load is probably gonna be similar. I go to Aberdeen and my twin brother goes to Glasgow (which I reckon is held in equal academic status to Edinburgh?) and we find the work load about the same.

So my advice to you would be to follow your dream and go to Edinburgh (as much as I love Aberdeen haha). Although if you are really considering going to Aberdeen my work mate is in 4th year studying MA Psychology (well she's pretty much done) and really enjoyed it! Also my best friend from school is studying Biology at Aberdeen but picked a first year Psychology module and really enjoyed it. Good luck with choosing! :smile: I was stuck between Aberdeen and Glasgow for months and my brother Glasgow/Edinburgh. I remember the stress haha

Thank you for the advice! Edinburgh is my firm choice now, but Aberdeen's just as fine. :smile:
Reply 795
I am an American, i will be 19 when i attend Edinburgh most likely.

What would be the best kind of room to stay in the halls?

What is the social active life like?

Are the girls snobby and stuck up?

Athletics and sporting events?

What would be an estimated amount of money for an American attending the University of Edinburgh?
I have estimated about 22,771 British Sterling Pound should be more than enough.

How expensive are clothes?

How expensive is it to take girls on dates?

Please, help me out as much as possible.
Reply 796
I have questions about the University of Edinburgh and a few others as well. I have been told that if i attend a full program at Edinburgh, or within the U.K., i am allowed to work only 20 hours a week. Im American and I am not offered ANY financial aid. Will 20 hours a week be enough to save up money for tuition and everything else needed yearly, including dates, and hanging out with friends?

Also, am I able to graduate from undergraduate school and attain a citizenship in the U.K. to live and start a future in Scotland?

Please help, i know people in the U.K. understand this more than I could.
Original post by WATKINS94
I have questions about the University of Edinburgh and a few others as well. I have been told that if i attend a full program at Edinburgh, or within the U.K., i am allowed to work only 20 hours a week. Im American and I am not offered ANY financial aid. Will 20 hours a week be enough to save up money for tuition and everything else needed yearly, including dates, and hanging out with friends?

Also, am I able to graduate from undergraduate school and attain a citizenship in the U.K. to live and start a future in Scotland?

Please help, i know people in the U.K. understand this more than I could.

Will 20 hours of work a week pay your tuition and living costs? No.

Can you stay in the UK after graduating and take up citizenship? Almost definitely no.
20 hours a week will pay for accommodation and food. Didn't almost all Americans get some financial aid at the USA. There are tons of scholarships in your country.
Original post by Valentas
20 hours a week will pay for accommodation and food.

Barely. Assuming minimum wage work, every week, for the maximum of 20 hours each week, that leaves you with ~£20-£30 for all expenses except rent. That's not impossible, but you need to be running a pretty tight budget to get by - certainly won't be much money for "fun" things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending