The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys so basically I just got an offer to study Politics and Russian Studies (BBB) which I'm over the moon about but I was wondering if there would be at all an opportunity to take up Arabic or Persian even if that would mean dropping a subject later on? Also, if I was to contact admissions and ask to change a subject would this have any negative consequences?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Rakinsayed
Hi guys so basically I just got an offer to study Politics and Russian Studies (BBB) which I'm over the moon about but I was wondering if there would be at all an opportunity to take up Arabic or Persian even if that would mean dropping a subject later on? Also, if I was to contact admissions and ask to change a subject would this have any negative consequences?

I'm not (yet) studying at the uni of edinburgh, but as far as I'm concerned you take three subjects in your first and second year. Third and fourth years are your honours degree where you focus on your main studies (so only politics and Russian studies)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hildegardium
I'm not (yet) studying at the uni of edinburgh, but as far as I'm concerned you take three subjects in your first and second year. Third and fourth years are your honours degree where you focus on your main studies (so only politics and Russian studies)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks thats great!
Original post by paperperson
Hey, any Biomed/Pharmacology students?

Just wondering if most of you're time is spent at George Square or Kings?

i've firmed my offer for Biomed, i emailed and they said that the courses were pretty spilt between George Square and Kings, but it depends on which courses you opt to take. if you log into myEd theres a section were you can look at the courses available for this year and they tell you what campus each one is taught at :smile:
Hey, any Biomed/Pharmacology students?

Just wondering if most of you're time is spent at George Square or Kings?

The School of Biological Sciences is based in KB, whereas the School of Biomedical Sciences is based in the central area. You'd probably be taking courses from both schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michele394
i've firmed my offer for Biomed, i emailed and they said that the courses were pretty spilt between George Square and Kings, but it depends on which courses you opt to take. if you log into myEd theres a section were you can look at the courses available for this year and they tell you what campus each one is taught at :smile:

Thanks! I have an unconditional offer for Pharmacology, but it's my backup. Are you going to the post offer days?

Original post by Asklepios
The School of Biological Sciences is based in KB, whereas the School of Biomedical Sciences is based in the central area. You'd probably be taking courses from both schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Do you find being at kings (if you are) is an inconvenience?

Thank you! Do you find being at kings (if you are) is an inconvenience?

I'm not at Kings, but my flatmate is. He doesn't mind it too much as it is only a 25 min walk from our place (5-10 min cycle). I, however, sometimes am at Little France or the Western General, in which case bus or cycling is the only option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! I have an unconditional offer for Pharmacology, but it's my backup. Are you going to the post offer days?

Nah, i'm in the US, i visited back in April but i won't be able to go to any of the post offer days. Congrats on your offer though!
Hey guys,

I received a conditional offer a few days ago but apparently they made a mistake.

I'm from Germany and we have to choose major and minor courses. I chose Biology and maths as major courses but in the conditional offer they ask" 12 points in biology and chemistry (major courses)". It is not even possible in my region to take chemistry and biology as they require you to take one from english, german or maths...

I made it very clear in my application which courses are my major ones. I am a bit concerned now as I want to firm Edinburgh.

Any advice? Should I contact the university?

I really don't want my offer to be withdrawn even though I got 5/5 offers (Durham, Bristol, York, Sheffield) Edinburgh is my first choice. But could they actually do so?
So is it easy to switch subjects, add subjects and change majors etc at Edinburgh? To what extent are the degrees flexible?
So is it easy to switch subjects, add subjects and change majors etc at Edinburgh? To what extent are the degrees flexible?

So, as I think someone said above, you take three subjects in your first two years. Your degree subject(s), and two other subjects. These can be changed semester-by-semester. If, in the first two weeks of term you want to change your degree, you can. This can also be done at the end of the first year.
There is quite a bit of freedom to choose and change your degree (within reason, of course). You generally discuss these changes with your Personal Tutor. Might be a bit harder for oversubscribed courses, but overall it's not too difficult.

To add to the points of the previous poster, if you go into 1st year entry of most degree programs then your degree will be really flexible.
For example, I'm a maths undergrad, but took Economics 1 in 1st year, because I took this course I could have switched to an Economics degree!

The rule of thumb is, once you're in Edinburgh generally wants to keep you! So if you want to switch programs then most of the time it's possible!
Original post by shaken-pine
So, as I think someone said above, you take three subjects in your first two years. Your degree subject(s), and two other subjects. These can be changed semester-by-semester. If, in the first two weeks of term you want to change your degree, you can. This can also be done at the end of the first year.
There is quite a bit of freedom to choose and change your degree (within reason, of course). You generally discuss these changes with your Personal Tutor. Might be a bit harder for oversubscribed courses, but overall it's not too difficult.

Thanks for this! Really helpful, do you know if languages such as Russian and Arabic are oversubscribed? Thanks again!
Original post by UPSDGoat
To add to the points of the previous poster, if you go into 1st year entry of most degree programs then your degree will be really flexible.
For example, I'm a maths undergrad, but took Economics 1 in 1st year, because I took this course I could have switched to an Economics degree!

The rule of thumb is, once you're in Edinburgh generally wants to keep you! So if you want to switch programs then most of the time it's possible!

Thanks!
Thanks for this! Really helpful, do you know if languages such as Russian and Arabic are oversubscribed? Thanks again!

The only courses I have heard being over-subscribed are English Lit and Business Studies; but if you're ever unsure look on DRPS and email the course organisers about their courses

The course entries for languages can be found here
http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/14-15/dpt/cx_s_su795.htm

No, I don't think they are.
Original post by UPSDGoat
The only courses I have heard being over-subscribed are English Lit and Business Studies; but if you're ever unsure look on DRPS and email the course organisers about their courses

The course entries for languages can be found here
http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/14-15/dpt/cx_s_su795.htm

Thanks this is really helpful!
Original post by pinguin123
Hey guys,

I received a conditional offer a few days ago but apparently they made a mistake.

I'm from Germany and we have to choose major and minor courses. I chose Biology and maths as major courses but in the conditional offer they ask" 12 points in biology and chemistry (major courses)". It is not even possible in my region to take chemistry and biology as they require you to take one from english, german or maths...

I made it very clear in my application which courses are my major ones. I am a bit concerned now as I want to firm Edinburgh.

Any advice? Should I contact the university?

I really don't want my offer to be withdrawn even though I got 5/5 offers (Durham, Bristol, York, Sheffield) Edinburgh is my first choice. But could they actually do so?

Do contact the University - if your application was clear then may be about the way they have to input offers in to UCAS. Far better to clarify now than find out after exam results.
hi,
I've just got an unconditional offer for Physiology with second year entry to Edinburgh.
Just got a few questions how the differences between first and second year entry, mainly regarding the social life.
Does anybody know how many people on each course roughly join in the second year, and in general how is your social life affected by joining in the second year?
No news from Chemistry?(EU applicants).:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending