The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oreilly96
hi,
I've just got an unconditional offer for Physiology with second year entry to Edinburgh.
Just got a few questions how the differences between first and second year entry, mainly regarding the social life.
Does anybody know how many people on each course roughly join in the second year, and in general how is your social life affected by joining in the second year?

I don't know the differences in Physiology between 1st and 2nd year entry, but in general it's a lot more work, and you may have to take catch up courses in the 1st semester.

2nd year entry is different for everyone, I know people who would have easily gotten into 2nd year entry opting for 1st year entry because they want to know more people in the course!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1201
lots of people heard back for History yesterday but I didn't get anything at all - no rejections yet. Does this mean I can expect a rejection? Some UK students have heard but I've had nothing...
Original post by Bc99
lots of people heard back for History yesterday but I didn't get anything at all - no rejections yet. Does this mean I can expect a rejection? Some UK students have heard but I've had nothing...

No news is good news. You can't expect anything, most people will get there offers towards the 31st of March. Don't be pessimistic, it's not a good quality
Hey,

You see for swithing degrees, what are the courses that are over subscribed and you cant swith into? (Im assuming law etc.) Not that I'm planning to switch, I'm just curious!
Original post by paperperson
Hey,

You see for swithing degrees, what are the courses that are over subscribed and you cant swith into? (Im assuming law etc.) Not that I'm planning to switch, I'm just curious!

The rule of thumb is; once they have you, they want to keep you.
I've heard English Lit and Business Studies in 1st year could be oversubscribed, a friend of mine had to plead to the business school to let him take the course.
If you do want to switch degree though, email any course organiser or teaching organisation early so you know you would have a place in the course.
Original post by UPSDGoat
The rule of thumb is; once they have you, they want to keep you.
I've heard English Lit and Business Studies in 1st year could be oversubscribed, a friend of mine had to plead to the business school to let him take the course.
If you do want to switch degree though, email any course organiser or teaching organisation early so you know you would have a place in the course.

Thanks for the response!

A lot of people I know have applied or English lit so I assume the same for this year.

Do you know anyone that switched into law?
Thanks for the response!

A lot of people I know have applied or English lit so I assume the same for this year.

Do you know anyone that switched into law?

I don't actually know anyone who's switched into law, but if you want more information try emailing the law school
The contact details can be found here
http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/other_areas_of_interest/about/contact_us
Would anyone here be so kind as to tell me a little about their experiences studying at UoE? I've got an offer for postgrad International Relations but am deciding between Edinburgh and a few other schools. Main things I'm interested in:

What is the student life like? As in, how easily do you get to know your fellow students, what are the student societies and sports activities, as well as the nightlife like?

What are the career prospects after graduating? Do you get lots of help finding internships or jobs from the university or the people you meet (like professors)?

Cheers! Edinburgh is my first choice but I'm mainly deciding between that and Dublin.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello all,
I applied for History and Politics in October and am yet to hear anything back! Iv looked at the applicants/firmers/offer holders threads and cant seem to find anyone who has received an offer for History and Politics or the individual courses, I'm basically just getting a little impatient! Do any current students know when I could expect to receive an offer, that's if they are going to give me one? Also if anyone has received an offer could you let me know the conditions?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
Original post by Emmaeliza96
Hello all,
I applied for History and Politics in October and am yet to hear anything back! Iv looked at the applicants/firmers/offer holders threads and cant seem to find anyone who has received an offer for History and Politics or the individual courses, I'm basically just getting a little impatient! Do any current students know when I could expect to receive an offer, that's if they are going to give me one? Also if anyone has received an offer could you let me know the conditions?

I received an offer from politics. Conditional of AA and I got AABB last year. Politics at edinburgh are being really harsh this year, whereas it seems most of the other courses are being very lenient :frown:
When do international business and French/languages generally get offers? I applied in November and still nothing!
Reply 1211
Hello all,

Applied in October for History and still absolutely nothing, think a rejection could be coming my way...
Hello all,

Just received an unconditional offer for history, but still no clue where i want to go. Is it definitely Edinburgh you want to go to? Im so conflicted!
Original post by Gingerh97
Just received an unconditional offer for history, but still no clue where i want to go. Is it definitely Edinburgh you want to go to? Im so conflicted!

I haven't even received an offer, never mind an unconditional haha, well done on that! Yeah, I definitely want to go to Edinburgh. Where else did you apply?
Daughter is currently volunteering abroad with little internet access so relaying her questions and hope someone can help.

She's got unconditional offers for neuroscience second year entry at Edinburgh and first year at St Andrews and trying to choose between the two.

Anyone can advise how hard the course/workload might be starting directly into second year? She had AAA at A2 biology chem maths so wondering if that would equip her enough to cope. She was also wondering how much it restricts your possibilities of taking outside options (she was hoping to take psychology + a language). And on the social side, is it not difficult when you join a group where everyone already knows everyone?

Read all about the rock bottom student satisfaction levels last year, which is a bit of a concern but seems to vary depending on the department, so if anyone doing neuroscience can share their experience of the course organisation and tutors/lecturers, it would be great.

Generally, do people find the teaching impersonal and teaching staff not very implicated? St Andrews is much smaller so assume the the teaching and feedback would be more personal, but it's never good to assume and not ask :smile:

Finally, is Edinburgh accommodation outside the uni as expensive as it seems? How much are people paying for a room in a shared flat or house?

Sorry about all the questions and thank you for your help!
Original post by cora06140
Daughter is currently volunteering abroad with little internet access so relaying her questions and hope someone can help.

She's got unconditional offers for neuroscience second year entry at Edinburgh and first year at St Andrews and trying to choose between the two.

Anyone can advise how hard the course/workload might be starting directly into second year? She had AAA at A2 biology chem maths so wondering if that would equip her enough to cope. She was also wondering how much it restricts your possibilities of taking outside options (she was hoping to take psychology + a language). And on the social side, is it not difficult when you join a group where everyone already knows everyone?

Read all about the rock bottom student satisfaction levels last year, which is a bit of a concern but seems to vary depending on the department, so if anyone doing neuroscience can share their experience of the course organisation and tutors/lecturers, it would be great.

Generally, do people find the teaching impersonal and teaching staff not very implicated? St Andrews is much smaller so assume the the teaching and feedback would be more personal, but it's never good to assume and not ask :smile:

Finally, is Edinburgh accommodation outside the uni as expensive as it seems? How much are people paying for a room in a shared flat or house?

Sorry about all the questions and thank you for your help!

Hi, it a current student but I was offered second year entry aswell. If you contact the uni you can choose to reject second year entry and just enter first year. Which is what I did.

As far as I know you can't take outside courses as you need to make up the 1st year courses aswell.

It would probably be harder but not impossible to join fried groups.

Don't know anything about the student satisfaction but my boyfriend is at Sy Andrews and in ding accomodation in second year is probably by far the hardest and possiblyosy expensive out of any Scottish uni. Because if the town size it's almost impassible, some people from his year are getting flats from Dundee and getting the bus in.

As far as I know you can't take outside courses as you need to make up the 1st year courses aswell.

Don't know anything about the student satisfaction but my boyfriend is at Sy Andrews and in ding accomodation in second year is probably by far the hardest and possiblyosy expensive out of any Scottish uni. Because if the town size it's almost impassible, some people from his year are getting flats from Dundee and getting the bus in.

I rang the uni this morning and was told that if you go into 2nd year you are exempt from having to take 1st year modules, so at least that's one good thing...

And yes, saw that St Andrews is not ideal for accommodation when you get out of halls, but that it's actually possible to get a place in halls even after first year. So we keep ticking the boxes as we go along!...

Still difficult decision though!

Thanks for your help
Hiya, I'm in the same boat - applied for HiPol in October, and still nothing! I'm past the point of worrying now, I just want an answer! Haven't found anyone else who's heard for this course either. There do seem to be an awful lot of applicants for this course though!
I haven't even received an offer, never mind an unconditional haha, well done on that! Yeah, I definitely want to go to Edinburgh. Where else did you apply?

I applied to Dundee, Edin, Aberdeen, Stirling and St Andrews but im between Dundee and Edinburgh :smile:
Original post by EllieRose10
Hiya, I'm in the same boat - applied for HiPol in October, and still nothing! I'm past the point of worrying now, I just want an answer! Haven't found anyone else who's heard for this course either. There do seem to be an awful lot of applicants for this course though!

Yeah the courses are so oversubscribed its unreal haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending