The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ali2204
Hi, there were about 50 on the course so you get to know everyone well. We shared a lot of lectures with biology students initially and also biomedical science students. There are elective modules every year, but otherwise everyone does the same core modules. Yes, most lectures from what I remember in 1st and 2nd year are at Kings Buildings. After this you are predominantly based at central campus in the Old Medical School or Appleton tower for example. I have friends who stayed in many different accommodations and didn't struggle. There are regular buses in Edinburgh which is good to quickly get around, otherwise it is easy enought to walk or cycle. Hopefully this helps!

Thank you Ali for your really quick reply - much appreciated. Helps a lot Thank you - overall would you recommend? - any regrets, top tips re the course - I have looked at the course contents fo medical, biomedical and neuroscience (quite interested in the brain) and think I have the option of doing psycology modules in all three? Have I got this right and overall what would you sya the benefit/difference between medical scienc and biomedical science is? Muh appeciated ( can I also cheekily ask you alevel subjects and your offer if you can remember it?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Taylor8181
Thank you Ali for your really quick reply - much appreciated. Helps a lot Thank you - overall would you recommend? - any regrets, top tips re the course - I have looked at the course contents fo medical, biomedical and neuroscience (quite interested in the brain) and think I have the option of doing psycology modules in all three? Have I got this right and overall what would you sya the benefit/difference between medical scienc and biomedical science is? Muh appeciated ( can I also cheekily ask you alevel subjects and your offer if you can remember it?

I would recommend doing the course. I did have the opportunity to select courses which I found more useful as the years progressed. I have now started medicine, which i do feel in a better position for. Theres more about neuroscience, as opposed to psychology. We look more at what the brain is, how the signals work, what happens in disease etc. Medical sciences does allow you to explore some more social factors than what biomed does (if I remember right). And there are electives that we had which differed to biomed across the years. I didnt do A levels, I am scottish so I did highers and advanced highers. Received an unconditional offer.
Original post by Ali2204
I would recommend doing the course. I did have the opportunity to select courses which I found more useful as the years progressed. I have now started medicine, which i do feel in a better position for. Theres more about neuroscience, as opposed to psychology. We look more at what the brain is, how the signals work, what happens in disease etc. Medical sciences does allow you to explore some more social factors than what biomed does (if I remember right). And there are electives that we had which differed to biomed across the years. I didnt do A levels, I am scottish so I did highers and advanced highers. Received an unconditional offer.

Thank you so much- really appreciated- best of luck with your medicine studies :smile:
Reply 1583
Hello! I applied for History and Politics on Thursday but saw the student satisfaction and am now reconsidering. Are students that dissatisfied with the university and if so, why? I'm slowly panicking that I've made the wrong decision, although I love the course.
Original post by euphrosyne
Hi guys - I'm a 3rd year law student, who madly loves Edinburgh and knows a fair amount. If you have any questions, don't be shy to ask me personally! :smile:

Hi, I am an international student who just received a conditional offer for History and was curious about the student experience at Edinburgh. What's your take on why the satisfaction rankings are so low and the extent to which they are justified or not. Thanks!
In my personal statement, I mentioned that I would like to spend my future three years on the major since I’m applying for some England universities. But the University of Edinburgh is a 4-year UG program. I wonder if this will harm my application?
Hello, I have received an offer to study at the university of Edinburgh but I'm thinking for putting it down as an insurance choice. The accommodation site says that only shared rooms are guaranteed, often with bunk beds.

Are there any current students who had to share a room with bunk beds? What were your experiences?
Hi, I am applying to study astrophysics. It says on the website that most of the first year study will be based in central campus, I wonder what is the proportion? Should I apply for the accommodations near the central campus instead of the one near King's Building?
Original post by Sophiazzz6789
Hi, I am applying to study astrophysics. It says on the website that most of the first year study will be based in central campus, I wonder what is the proportion? Should I apply for the accommodations near the central campus instead of the one near King's Building?

Pretty much anywhere you choose won't be too far from central campus, if you do need to get to King's there is free bus travel in Edinburgh if you are under 22 and have a Young Scot card
Does anyone know what the chances are for getting in with AAB(B in physics) for physics, whilst my offer was AAA
Original post by jammon
Hi, I am an international student who just received a conditional offer for History and was curious about the student experience at Edinburgh. What's your take on why the satisfaction rankings are so low and the extent to which they are justified or not. Thanks!

The low ratings typically refer to large class sizes, more self-learning, and less 'hand-holding' in general I have found. The 'student experience' of living in Edinburgh and studying at UOE overall however is certainly incredible
This year there is a shift to in person teaching and more time given to each student. My daughter has a tutor who does 1 to 1 sessions and books 30 minte slots. Out experience has been excellent so far. They are further improving in 23/24.
Original post by gennetos
The low ratings typically refer to large class sizes, more self-learning, and less 'hand-holding' in general I have found. The 'student experience' of living in Edinburgh and studying at UOE overall however is certainly incredible
Original post by oxymoronic
Hi!

This is a follow on from last years FAQ thread. Some of the information has been copied and some of it is new - please read it. I have helped people with their UCAS applications for the last 6 years both on TSR and in my day job. This thread contains answers to the questions I see year in year out and it is incredibly frustrating if I have spent time making a thread such as this and people continue to ask the same question elsewhere. If your question has been covered in this thread do not expect a helpful reply if you ask it again. I have spent time making this thread for YOUR benefit, not just for a bit of fun on my part. I already know the answers and have my degree, I don't need it.

However, if you have any additional questions then please do post them in the thread and we'll do our best to answer them for you :smile:

If you've already applied to Edinburgh, then good luck with your application. Hopefully you'll love the city and University as much as I did :love:

Applying and UCAS

Do I need to have any special Standard Grade/Higher/AH or GCSE/A level subjects?

Spoiler

I am English/go to a private school/from the SE of England/applied to Oxbridge, does this mean I will be automatically rejected?

Spoiler

I want to apply but I’m not predicted 10 million As in my final exams, should I bother?

Spoiler

I’m an international (non EU) student, will this affect my application?

Spoiler

I'm from the UK or the EU, are there quotas and restraints on how many students Edinburgh can admit?

Spoiler

I really want to go to Edinburgh should I apply for more than one course?

Spoiler

After making your application to Edinburgh

My application status on EUCILD/MyEd has gone blank. What does this mean?

Spoiler

I applied 10 million years ago, when will I hear back?

Spoiler

Edinburgh has not sent me a welcome letter/accommodation information/open day details/anything in the post should I contact them?

Spoiler

I’ve just realised that the degree I’ve applied for is an MA surely that’s a postgraduate course!! I want to do an undergraduate degree!

Spoiler

I was rejected despite meeting the minimum entry requirements what is going on?

Spoiler

I’m a medicine applicant, when will I find out if I have an interview?

Spoiler

Post offer issues

Who else on TSR has applied/been given an offer for my course?

Spoiler

Edinburgh is my firm or insurance choice, now what?

Spoiler

I want a current student’s opinion of course X, please!

Spoiler

I've realised I want to study course X instead of the one I have an offer for, can I change it?

Spoiler

Which accommodation is the best? Shall I pick catered or self catered? Do I apply for a small or large size room? When do I need to apply?

Spoiler

Disclaimer:

I do not work for the University of Edinburgh - I was a student here and completed my undergraduate studies in July 2010. Any advice given in this thread by me (or any of the other Edinburgh students) is not given as a representative of the University of Edinburgh. Therefore, what we say is not given in an official capacity and you are advised to check with the University if in doubt at any point during your application.

Remember: I am a graduate, not a staff member. This means I can not check the progress of your application or comment on when you will be given an offer. Please do not PM me as I am unable to help you. I receive several PMs a week during the UCAS cycle relating to Edinburgh applications. If you need to contact the University, I am not the person to need to be speaking to at all!

anyone at edinburgh doing biomed ? whats it like in terms of lab work, workload and enjoyment? thank you :smile:
Reply 1593
Hi, has anyone had an offer for Politics with a modern language yet from Edinburgh?
Original post by jarofstarrz
anyone at edinburgh doing biomed ? whats it like in terms of lab work, workload and enjoyment? thank you :smile:

Hey i firmed edinburgh as my choice to do biomed for 2024 entry too!
Original post by olivagrace06
Hey i firmed edinburgh as my choice to do biomed for 2024 entry too!

good luck !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending