The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by ckingalt
I would consider joining with England (or the UK if that's what you meant) as long as we ally with it's people and not it's weather. Seriously though,

We are already allied with the UK. This may be to the chagrin of the many America haters on this thread, but I consider the UK and Australia to be the only true allies the U.S. has anymore. Their liberals may hate us, but our liberals hate us as well (wait, uh I mean..... whatever). What matters to me is that the UK and Australia have stood by us, in-spite of the difficulties we currently face. Commitments have been made and lives have been sacrificed. That is no small matter. You may look at such a relationship with contempt, because the circumstances were controversial. I look at such a relationship and cherish it, because the circumstances were controversial. The UK has shown character in it's loyalty, especially since that loyalty came at great cost. I cant' speak for U.S. policy, but I as a citizen will not forget. So until our governments officially decide otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, we are already joined. At least in the struggles that really matter.

So thank you for standing by us, rather you like it or not.

our biggest allies =Israel
Reply 381
Original post by Burbridge92

Presidential powers would no longer be in Britain, and that's the difference. You can't substitute presidential powers for local powers and say that they're the same. Can my local council here in the UK voice itself to the government? Not really.

No they can't, but states in the USA have far greater power than local councils do in the UK do. I still don't see how it's undemocratic, assuming the union happened by democratic means in the first place. The nature of democracy is that not everyone gets what they want. Really your argument comes down to "Our opinions are too different from theirs". The opinions of British people wouldn't be drowned out at all if we shared many of them with lots of people in America. But I agree with you that in reality we don't. British politics is very different from American politics. Our political views probably are too different from America's for there to be anything to gain by joining the USA.
Reply 382
Original post by Lewis :D
The only reason why you started this thread was because you want full access to the UK, right? :lol:

Yep. What are my options - get a job in the uk, get married, or get Britain to join the USA... Definitely the latter.
Original post by sucess
our biggest allies =Israel

I disagree. Allegiance is a complicated matter these days. So it really depends on what factors you use to determine a close ally. While I would definitely say the U.S. is Israel's most important ally, I would not say Israel is America's most important or closest.
Reply 384
No. No space for british scum in the USA.
Reply 385
I disagree. Allegiance is a complicated matter these days. So it really depends on what factors you use to determine a close ally. While I would definitely say the U.S. is Israel's most important ally, I would not say Israel is America's most important or closest.

Israel is our biggest ally in the middle-east, which makes them pretty damn important.
Reply 386

We are even more aligned to Saudi Arabia and Turkey than we are to UK:colone:
Reply 387
Original post by sucess

maybe under Obama, but otherwise not.
Reply 388
Original post by sucess

Not really. We buy their oil, but we don't really trust turkey, and certainly not Saudi.
Reply 389
Original post by T-ros
maybe under Obama, but otherwise not.

The UK is our past alignment, now its Israel, Saudi Arabia and even Turkey
Reply 390
Original post by sucess
The UK is our past alignment, now its Israel, Saudi Arabia and even Turkey

Again, we can't trust any of those countries at all. Even Israel has worked against us on occasion. Saudi Arabia and Turkey most certainly cannot be trusted.
Original post by DYKWIA
Again, we can't trust any of those countries at all. Even Israel has worked against us on occasion. Saudi Arabia and Turkey most certainly cannot be trusted.

And why should anyone trust the US?
Reply 392
Original post by TheSurgeon345
And why should anyone trust the US?

We are democratic, free and we generally have shared interests with the rest of the west.
Original post by DYKWIA
We are democratic, free and we generally have shared interests with the rest of the west.

by democratic you mean the politicians who are in the back pockets of lobbyists?
I disagree completely, I think people feel we have more in common with the US than we actually do, the only big thing we share is the language.
Politically we have far more in common with France and lot's of other European countries.
Reply 395
Original post by Lady Friday
I disagree completely, I think people feel we have more in common with the US than we actually do, the only big thing we share is the language.
Politically we have far more in common with France and lot's of other European countries.

No. UK is far more capitalist than France, for example.
Reply 396
Original post by TheSurgeon345
by democratic you mean the politicians who are in the back pockets of lobbyists?

he probably means more referendums, chosen mayors etc etc.
Original post by T-ros
No. UK is far more capitalist than France, for example.

I didn't say we were identical, just that we had more in common with them than the US
Reply 398
Original post by Lady Friday
I didn't say we were identical, just that we had more in common with them than the US

which i doubt
Reply 399
Original post by kopite493
no it wouldn't as you have a terrible election process which has one persons vote being more important than someone else's just cause they live in a different state...

we have this problem here too though

Latest

Trending

Trending