The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Space Needle
Erm, the USA has gay marriage in a number of states. Unlike in the UK where gay marriage is prohibited.

Gay marriage will be introduced before the end of this Parliament, and full civil unions have been in place for the best part of a decade.

There's also no real opposition to the idea of gay marriage (support of 70-80%+) - it will easily pass in the Commons. Proponents of the idea in most US states face a massive uphill battle. It is difficult to see states like Texas and Alabama ever permitting gay marriage.
Reply 81
Original post by Drewski
If the UK became the 51st state we'd be the most populous, have the most number of senators and congressmen and generally just be a huge voting bloc that could derail the rest of the country.

So.... pros and cons.

Every state has the same number of senators
Reply 82
Original post by DYKWIA
Aren't you a 'united' kingdom? It's not that you don't exist, it's just that it's so confusing all the parts of britain...

Supposedly yes, but the name of that "union" is the United Kingdom, not England. England is just part of it. It's certainly not as confusing as 50 states, we only have 5!

I say "union" because personally I am in favour of the dissolution of said union...
Original post by Curzon
Supposedly yes, but the name of that "union" is the United Kingdom, not England. England is just part of it. It's certainly not as confusing as 50 states, we only have 5!

I say "union" because personally I am in favour of the dissolution of said union...

Goodluck on your own :tongue:
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Gay marriage will be introduced before the end of this Parliament, and full civil unions have been in place for the best part of a decade.

There's also no real opposition to the idea of gay marriage (support of 70-80%+) - it will easily pass in the Commons. Proponents of the idea in most US states face a massive uphill battle. It is difficult to see states like Texas and Alabama ever permitting gay marriage.

Well, I suspect there will be a federal mandate soon on civil unions.

Almost 40 million Americans can get a gay marriage and about 92 million more can get partnerships similar to those available to British citizens.
Definitely YES, the UK is on a shocking downward slope. Americans would help bring real values to the table here.

I am sick of hearing leftist British people say: "Oh, but they are so capitalist." And what? You guys aren't?

This country is where parking officers suck money off every disadvantaged individual, the BBC mobs everybody with their TV licensing ****, telly adverts everyday for insurance or compensation. This country makes me sick, with cameras everywhere, binge drinkers and a government that looks like a bag of ****.

The problem isn't with the British people at all, but the government and the useless neo-social reform that is attempting to take place on every stage run by the leftists. I have heard of COUNTLESS tales of Brits moving to America or Australia who realize that the best decision they made in their lives was to move out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Curzon

Five? I count four.
Reply 87
Original post by Michael Locke
Five? I count four.

C
He's a celtic nationalist, therefore counts Cornwall as a country
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Definitely YES, the UK is on a shocking downward slope. Americans would help bring real values to the table here.

Such as? Without generalising too much the US seems morally bankrupt.
Reply 89
Original post by DYKWIA
I use england/uk etc. interchangeably.

Before you start making moronic threads like this it might be a good idea for you to actually learn what the UK is.
Way to exclude the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish. Good job.

Here's a quick idiot's guide:

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain is an island that contains three countries: Wales, Scotland and England. (Obviously there are a few other islands like the Shetland Isles that are part of Scotland etc etc but overall it's generally the island of Great Britain. )
Northern Ireland is the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland and it is part of the UK.

England IS NOT the whole of the UK. To use England and the UK interchangeably not only proves just how much of an idiot you are, it's pretty damn offensive.

It's very simple. If you want to talk about people from the UK as a whole, you call them British. If you want to talk about a specific country that is in the UK then you say English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish etc.

It's like me calling you Canadian. Actually I am just going to call you Canadian all the time now. I mean the USA and Canada are both parts of North America so why can't I use them interchangeably?! :rolleyes:

As for the question posed. If England wants to join the USA fine, I'll just stay in Wales and won't have anything to do with it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RyanT
No, we really don't.

A lot of people in the UK are horrified by the US. Particularly its deeply anti-Christian attitude of no universal health service, war-mongering and out of control capitalism.

I think you have to understand that one of the UKs largest parties wanted to nationalise all major industries until the 1990s (Labour). There is a completely different mentality here. I went to hospital after a cycling incident yesterday (head injury) did I worry about insurance? NO Did I have to worry about a bill I couldn't afford? NO!

American laws in the UK would cause a revolution.

If the USA and UK spoke different languages this idea would appear as absurd as unifying with Russia. There is no basis for any unification.

Agreeeed,
Original post by Hravan
Before you start making moronic threads like this it might be a good idea for you to actually learn what the UK is.

Great Britain is an island that contains three countries: Wales, Scotland and England. (Obviously there are a few other islands like the Shetland Isles that are part of Scotland etc etc but overall it's generally the island of Great Britain. )
Northern Ireland is the north-western part of the island of Ireland and it is part of the UK.

England IS NOT the whole of the UK. To use England and the UK interchangeably not only proves just how much of an idiot you are, it's pretty damn offensive.

It's very simple. If you want to talk about people from the UK as a whole, you call them British. If you want to talk about a specific country that is in the UK then you say English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish etc.

It's like me calling you Canadian. Actually I am just going to call you Canadian all the time now. I mean the USA and Canada are both parts of North America so why can't I use them interchangeably?! :rolleyes:

As for the question posed. If England wants to join the USA fine, I'll just stay in Wales and won't have anything to do with it.

Hell yeah.
:yep:
Reply 92
I would consider joining with England (or the UK if that's what you meant) as long as we ally with it's people and not it's weather. Seriously though,

We are already allied with the UK. This may be to the chagrin of the many America haters on this thread, but I consider the UK and Australia to be the only true allies the U.S. has anymore. Their liberals may hate us, but our liberals hate us as well (wait, uh I mean..... whatever). What matters to me is that the UK and Australia have stood by us, in-spite of the difficulties we currently face. Commitments have been made and lives have been sacrificed. That is no small matter. You may look at such a relationship with contempt, because the circumstances were controversial. I look at such a relationship and cherish it, because the circumstances were controversial. The UK has shown character in it's loyalty, especially since that loyalty came at great cost. I cant' speak for U.S. policy, but I as a citizen will not forget. So until our governments officially decide otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, we are already joined. At least in the struggles that really matter.

So thank you for standing by us, rather you like it or not.

I am sick of hearing leftist British people say: "Oh, but they are so capitalist." And what? You guys aren't?

This country is where parking officers suck money off every disadvantaged individual, the BBC mobs everybody with their TV licensing ****, telly adverts everyday for insurance or compensation. This country makes me sick, with cameras everywhere, binge drinkers and a government that looks like a bag of ****.

The problem isn't with the British people at all, but the government and the useless neo-social reform that is attempting to take place on every stage run by the leftists. I have heard of COUNTLESS tales of Brits moving to America or Australia who realize that the best decision they made in their lives was to move out.

I like the BBC. No commercials is soooo much better :biggrin:
Telly adverts everyday for insurance or compensation. This country makes me sick, with a government that looks like a bag of ****.

Have you watched US TV? it is mostly propaganda for each wing as well as adverts for insurance or compensation.

Have you seen the Obama administration?
Reply 95
Original post by Hravan

Northern Ireland is the north-western part of the island of Ireland and it is part of the UK.

Just so you know, Americans don't really get offended when called canadian. It's the canadians that get all sorts of butt hurt when they are referred to as American.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aramiss18
Such as? Without generalising too much the US seems morally bankrupt.

Uh - uh. Hold there buddy,

*I havent seen or heard of a single Anti-abortion rally in this country
*Prostitution is ignored and allowed to flourish
*LGBT behavior is ENCOURAGED
*Countless corrupt politicians running around...

and more.

I think it would be safe to say that at the VERY LEAST the US isn't any more morally bankrupt than the UK.
Original post by DYKWIA
The US and UK have far more in common than people realize; far more so than someone from texas and someone from the east coast anyway and defiantly more in common than uk and France for example. A lot of Americans wanna move to britain (me included) and I get the feeling a lot of Brits wanna move too. It would be a really great thing for both countries to have the stability of being part of the largest and best country in the world.

The USA = Fine.

The Americanisation of this country = Something that drives me insane.
Reply 98
Original post by Michael Locke
Five? I count four.

As has been said, Cornwall is indeed another country of the UK in my opinion but that's an argument for another thread!

Viva la Kernow
Original post by tehFrance
Have you watched US TV? it is mostly propaganda for each wing as well as adverts for insurance or compensation.

Have you seen the Obama administration?

Yes I have watched U.S TV. Lots of propaganda for each wing, but isn't that essentially democracy? :confused: Better than having both parties here running around like headless chooks, not knowing what on earth they support and what they don't support.

The Obama administration is a joke, I do not support it.

Latest

Trending

Trending