The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drknoble
It is very relevant. If know one knows what you've done or how lovely you country is why would they move there? Fact of the matter is Norway is not the greatest. No one knows much about Norway just like Canada.

People not knowing about it doesn't stop it being a great place to live. They wouldn't want the entire world emigrating because that would ruin it all... So I think you have it completely backwards to be honest.
Anyway, I only got 2 hours sleep last night and am really crashing. I'll have to come back another time.
Reply 1581
Original post by Lewis :D
Ok, to please you let's say Sweden then. Norway is in the European Economic Area, which is essentially EU membership without sending representatives if you want to be pedantic.

What makes Sweden great? I don't think many would agree with you. Being in the European Economic Area is not the EU.
Original post by DYKWIA
The US and UK have far more in common than people realize; far more so than someone from texas and someone from the east coast anyway and defiantly more in common than uk and France for example. A lot of Americans wanna move to britain (me included) and I get the feeling a lot of Brits wanna move too. It would be a really great thing for both countries to have the stability of being part of the largest and best country in the world.

Ermmmm.... No.
Reply 1583
Original post by Andythepiano
British Colonialism was in the past - the things the USA are doing is NOW, and NO, you can't write the same for any country!!!

Compared to what the European countries have done the US has done nothing in comparison. Most poverty, economic devastation, civil war around the world can be traced back to European imperialism. Just look at what Europe has done to Africa.
Reply 1584
Original post by Emaemmaemily
People not knowing about it doesn't stop it being a great place to live. They wouldn't want the entire world emigrating because that would ruin it all... So I think you have it completely backwards to be honest.
Anyway, I only got 2 hours sleep last night and am really crashing. I'll have to come back another time.

When people know you're great, they immigrate and move their business there. You can be the greatest musician on the planet, but if no one know about you who cares. No one knows about Norway, and Norway is not the greatest country.
Original post by Lewis :D
I said Scandinavia as all three countries are very similar in the way they work, whereas grouping Canada and the USA would be more difficult as one as universal healthcare, whereas the other doesn't, one is a constitutional monarchy, the other isn't. All the Scandinavian counties are politically, culturally and socially similar so take your pick.

All the Scandinavian counties are politically, culturally and socially similar so take your pick? Why don't you tell a Danish person they are the same as a Swede and see how that works out.

Also, a lot of the information in this thread is incorrect. The US has FOUR state run healthcare programs: Hawaii, Oregon, Massachusetts, Tennessee, and Maine

They are all awful, driving up costs, lowering quality, and increasing waiting times.
Original post by Made in the USA

Also, a lot of the information in this thread is incorrect. The US has FOUR state run healthcare programs: Hawaii, Oregon, Massachusetts, Tennessee, and Maine

They are all awful, driving up costs, lowering quality, and increasing waiting times.

I count five.

I've noticed that some of you are trying to convince others that America is hated yet none of you have provided a link to support the claim. So I suggest either you provide a link or just drop it entirely

Well the anti-American sentiment in this thread suggests there's much envy and hatred towards the US because the theme "America is hated" has cropped up frequently without any supporting data. And I say envy because why is there so much anti-Americanism from countries allied with the US such as the UK? It's well known that whoever is #1 or the most popular draws the most envy.

Myself and lots of others had already given lots of supporting data with links as to why America is hated this thread is full of it. But you wanted more, so I gave it facts not opinion. You dismissed it as simply Afghanistan and Iraq, but the list is much longer and much more damning than that, all factual and verifiable. Now, I know that the UK has in its history done some terrible things, but that was in the past, and yes, there are still repercussions, but you wanted to know why America is hated, not what has it done to be caused to be hated. This article, if you actually read it, does just that - and, yes it is balanced, because the link to the UK talks about what the UK has done. It also gives reasons why the UK despite having done bad things in the past is not hated as much as the Americans. The world could choose to hate the UK for what has happened in the past, but is doesn’t largely because it has put its house in order. The is hated USA because it has done hateful things in the past and, even more importantly its continuing to do hatable things

This silly idea that everybody is jealous of you could not be further from the truth
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by welshyelmo

I count five.

Wow! A real gem! Wonderful :excited:
Edit: - Sorry I'm out of reps!
Reply 1589
Myself and lots of others had already given lots of supporting data with links as to why America is hated this thread is full of it. But you wanted more, so I gave it facts not opinion. You dismissed it as simply Afghanistan and Iraq, but the list is much longer and much more damning than that, all factual and verifiable. Now, I know that the UK has in its history done some terrible things, but that was in the past, and yes, there are still repercussions, but you wanted to know why America is hated, not what has it done to be caused to be hated. This article, if you actually read it, does just that - and, yes it is balanced, because the link to the UK talks about what the UK has done. It also gives reasons why the UK despite having done bad things in the past is not hated as much as the Americans. The world could choose to hate the UK for what has happened in the past, but is doesn’t largely because it has put its house in order. The is hated USA because it has done hateful things in the past and, even more importantly its continuing to do hatable things

This silly idea that everybody is jealous of you could not be further from the truth

Like I said, those weren't supporting data but just opinions. It looks like some of you are going out of your way to push the idea that "America is hated" when that's not the case, and this indicts there is anti-American sentiment amongst some of you. I would argue that Britain is far more hated by countries in Africa, Asia, and the Americas through imperialism. Britain lead and spread slavery around the world before the US became a country and only abolished slavery 50 years earlier than the US.
Like I said, those weren't supporting data but just opinions. It looks like some of you are going out of your way to push the idea that "America is hated" when that's not the case, and this indicts there is anti-American sentiment amongst some of you. I would argue that Britain is far more hated by countries in Africa, Asia, and the Americas through imperialism. Britain lead and spread slavery around the world before the US became a country and only abolished slavery 50 years earlier than the US.

The first sentence was a very well-crafted argument and I had my finger poised to click the thumbs up button.

That second sentence though...way to turn your own argument against yourself mate. Where's the "supporting data" that promotes your thesis that Britain is the most hated country in Africa, Asia and the Americas? Or are you argument based purely on your own subjective interpretation of Britain's history? This indicts (sic?) that you have some anti-British sentiment.

The US alone accounted for 36.1% of worldwide greenhouse emissions in 1990
America is experiencing an obesity epidemic. In 1999, sixty-one percent of Americans were overweight and twenty-six percent were obese. The definition of overweight is having a body-mass index (BMI) greater than 25, and the definition of obesity is having a BMI greater than 30. BMI is calculated by multiplying body weight by 705 then dividing by height in inches squared

The United States has the world's highest rape rate of the countries that publish such statistics - 13 times higher than England and more than 20 times higher than Japan. [Senate Judiciary Committee, 1990. Facts about Violence Against Women.]

As former President Jimmy Carter commented: 'We are the stingiest nation of all'. Denmark is top of the table, giving 1.01% of GDP, while the US manages just 0.1%. The United Nations has long established the target of 0.7% GDP for development assistance, although only four countries actually achieve this: Denmark, 1.01%; Norway, 0.91%; the Netherlands, 0.79%; Sweden, 0.7%

There have been no wars between major powers since 1945, but there has been an estimated 138 wars resulting in 23 million deaths.
The Korean War, which caused 3 million deaths and the Vietnam War, which killed 2 million people, were the most deadly conflicts. All 138 wars were fought in the Third World, and many were fuelled by weapons provided by the two major powers or their allies

These don’t sound like opinions to me, but verifiable facts.

Where are your facts you have only provided opinion and remember, we are not looking for hateful things the europeans / british have done, but if, as you claim, europe / UK are more hated than the US If you merely provide evidence that the UK / europe has done this that and the other, fine, we did, but that is behind us, and you know that you are not answering the point in hand

NB Before you start, I do know the difference between UK and EU, it’s just I don’t mind which one you choose
(edited 12 years ago)
The first sentence was a very well-crafted argument and I had my finger poised to click the thumbs up button.

Love your sense of irony - again, another pos rep if I could have :smile:
The UK and the US are a lot more different than you realise.
Reply 1594

That second sentence though...way to turn your own argument against yourself mate. Where's the "supporting data" that promotes your thesis that Britain is the most hated country in Africa, Asia and the Americas? Or are you argument based purely on your own subjective interpretation of Britain's history? This indicts (sic?) that you have some anti-British sentiment.

Thank you, I agree the first sentence was superb. :cool:

The second sentence is just like your argument that "America is hated" based on opinions, however my argument makes more sense because Africa, Asia and the Americas have a valid reason to hate the UK. You British invaded, massacred millions, enslaved, and stole resources from Africa, China, India, and the Americas. The United States has a racial problem because of the slavery that was introduced to the British colonies. Not to mention the fact that the British were the ones who had the "savage" policy on the Native Americans. Once we became independent we had to deal with the problems that we inherited from a warmongering British Empire. And I think we've done a good job slowly but surely righting the British wrongs we inherited in North America.
Yes, but you are also forgetting that US has the largest GDP in the world. The GDP of the states of California and Texas combined is already more than that of Britain. Emissions is high because it is also because that is still the largest manufacturer in the world producing much of the goods the world needs not just cheap junks spat out by China?
America is experiencing an obesity epidemic.
And so is Britain.... your point being?
As former President Jimmy Carter commented: 'We are the stingiest nation of all'. Denmark is top of the table, giving 1.01% of GDP, while the US manages just 0.1%. The United Nations has long established the target of 0.7% GDP for development assistance, although only four countries actually achieve this: Denmark, 1.01%; Norway, 0.91%; the Netherlands, 0.79%; Sweden, 0.7%
Finally a country with some common sense.
Reply 1596
America is experiencing an obesity epidemic. In 1999, sixty-one percent of Americans were overweight and twenty-six percent were obese. The definition of overweight is having a body-mass index (BMI) greater than 25, and the definition of obesity is having a BMI greater than 30. BMI is calculated by multiplying body weight by 705 then dividing by height in inches squared

The United States has the world's highest rape rate of the countries that publish such statistics - 13 times higher than England and more than 20 times higher than Japan. [Senate Judiciary Committee, 1990. Facts about Violence Against Women.]

There have been no wars between major powers since 1945, but there has been an estimated 138 wars resulting in 23 million deaths.
The Korean War, which caused 3 million deaths and the Vietnam War, which killed 2 million people, were the most deadly conflicts. All 138 wars were fought in the Third World, and many were fuelled by weapons provided by the two major powers or their allies

These don’t sound like opinions to me, but verifiable facts.

Where are your facts you have only provided opinion and remember, we are not looking for hateful things the europeans / british have done, but if, as you claim, europe / UK are more hated than the US If you merely provide evidence that the UK / europe has done this that and the other, fine, we did, but that is behind us, and you know that you are not answering the point in hand

NB Before you start, I do know the difference between UK and EU, it’s just I don’t mind which one you choose

How do these "stats" equate to "America is hated"? I could pull the same kind of stats that shine a bad light for any country.

The UK has killed millions in the Americas, millions in Asia, and millions in Africa with many more millions suffering from the aftermath of British imperialism. This is a fact. And the vietnamese war was tied to French imperialism and British imperialism any ways.

It's strange that British and European imperialism which devastated the world and was undone only about 50 years ago is behind us, but minor wars that the US is involved with (all of which the UK is also involved) and are nothing in comparison should receive the top scrutiny. It seems like you're cherry picking.

The second sentence is just like your argument that "America is hated" based on opinions, however my argument makes more sense because Africa, Asia and the Americas have a valid reason to hate the UK. You British invaded, massacred millions, enslaved, and stole resources from Africa, China, India, and the Americas. The United States has a racial problem because of the slavery that was introduced to the British colonies. Not to mention the fact that the British were the ones who had the "savage" policy on the Native Americans. Once we became independent we had to deal with the problems that we inherited from a warmongering British Empire. And I think we've done a good job slowly but surely righting the British wrongs we inherited in North America.

OK - more evidence that USA is hated globally - including Africa and India -

Please Note, this is the result of a study by international polling firm GlobeScan together with the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) at the University of Maryland

http://zzpat.tripod.com/cvb/march_2007/poll_us_third_most_hated_country_on_earth.html

How do these "stats" equate to "America is hated"? I could pull the same kind of stats that shine a bad light for any country.

The UK has killed millions in the Americas, millions in Asia, and millions in Africa with many more millions suffering from the aftermath of British imperialism. This is a fact. And the vietnamese war was tied to French imperialism and British imperialism any ways.

It's strange that British and European imperialism which devastated the world and was undone only about 50 years ago is behind us, but minor wars that the US is involved with (all of which the UK is also involved) and are nothing in comparison should receive the top scrutiny. It seems like you're cherry picking.

This

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/mar07/BBC_ViewsCountries_Mar07_pr.pdf

It's the full report from the link I gave out in the previous post

Repeating what I've already said here but subjective opinions of history are no basis for factual statements.

To truly analyse relations between countries, you should look at present dimplomatic relations, not at history books detailing the admittedly awful actions of the long deceased British empire. By your logic, the French and British should have awful diplomatic relations, the people of Peru should be planning their Spanish invasion, and the Japanese and American diplomatic relationship would be non-existent. But none of this is true, because most people don't base their opinions of countries based on the actions of their long dead ancestors.

Great job righting the wrongs of the imperalistic British empire by the way. What better way to correct our warmongering mistakes then to, oh I don't know, invade a whole bunch of countries over the course of half a century in an attempt to establish yourself on the world stage.

No ironic echo there, no siree.

Latest

Trending

Trending