The Student Room Group

IB students at an unfair disadvantage to A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

Universities don't understand the IB system well enough. Several of my teachers at college told us this when we were doing the application process. Apparently, their understanding is getting better, but I don't think in terms of grades it will ever be equal. It's the extra stuff that comes with doing the IB that makes it more appealing? I don't know.
Reply 21
Original post by Xarren
You chose to do IBs.

Whether your school convinced you to do so is not of matter. It is your education, you can't blame your school or anyone else for the qualifications you took, and for what you may not have known at the time you made that choice. If you are unhappy with IBs.. Don't take them. Problem solved.

I was deluded into thinking it was a good idea, until the college realised it wasn't.
Besides, I was pushed into it by parents, teachers etc etc - I wouldn't quite say it was my choice.

I can't fully blame the college for my choice to take IB.

Nonetheless, that's hardly an answer or solution to the issue of universities not understanding/appreciating it.

"Universities don't appreciate your qualification which makes you a better all rounded student, more prepared for university. You shouldn't have done it. Problem solved. "
Reply 22
I think it's the case that schools are right in saying the IB looks more 'prestigious', however it is hard to meet offers.

A-Level: Harder to get offer, easier to meet once you have the offer.
IB: Easier to get offer, harder to meet.

May be completely wrong but that's how I see it :p:
Reply 23
Well if you consider how much more work IB is in general, then I'd say yes, you are at a disadvantage.
IB pupils have CAS, TOK, extended essay PLUS two extra classes... then you need higher grades at the end of it all as well. My school offers IB and Alevel. I took Alevel and am so happy... The IB class never stop studying.
Reply 24
even school have admitted that each IB level is harder than GCSE but a bit easier than A level standard +they are short courses so that way they even out
Reply 25
Original post by Aman.G
even school have admitted that each IB level is harder than GCSE but a bit easier than A level standard +they are short courses so that way they even out

Short courses? It's a 2 year linear qualification...
Original post by LauriC
Interestingly, as of next year, UCAS plans to lower the IB tariff, meaning that they will consider a 5 to be the equivalent to a C at A Level. Which personally I think is ridiculous! Luckily for me I will be done with UCAS by then, bit it really makes things tricky for 2013 applicants :/

Do you mind explaining that please because i don't understand why that's bad... or good.

what would a 7 be equivalent to then?

Plus this may sound stupid but i've just started the IB (September) would i be a 2012 or 2013 applicant?
Reply 27
To be honest, I don't think IB students are at a disadvantage.

IB => more common in America, meant more for general apps
A-lvls => specific to UK, more than others.

I feel your pain, but you can't blame schools from preferring the local curriculum more than IB, especially since the vast majority of people take a-lvls. They are easier to compare with others. Unfortunately, this leads to a lot of people being treated unfairly when it comes to points. And I would also assume that the admissions people would usually be setting point requirements based on the competition for those spots.

Also, don't neg me for this, but IB seems much more easier, at least in my college. The IB guys have bloody 3 hour breaks, not to mention the normal lunch breaks!

But best of luck in your applications. :smile:

Sigh... neg rep for what? If I did my country's exams, rather than A-lvls or IB, I would have a hell of a mountain to climb to get into a UK school, as they would say they "understand" my exam levels, but would much rather prefer one who has a more direct, and easily comparable qualification. IB is by no standards an easier course, and I never said it IS. I said it SEEMS easier, just judging from how many breaks my friends seem to have.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Do you mind explaining that please because i don't understand why that's bad... or good.

Plus this may sound stupid but i've just started the IB (September) would i be a 2012 or 2013 applicant?

Original post by hslakaal

what's the deal with them lowering the tariff then?
Original post by hslakaal
To be honest, I don't think IB students are at a disadvantage.

IB => more common in America, meant more for general apps
A-lvls => specific to UK, more than others.

I feel your pain, but you can't blame schools from preferring the local curriculum more than IB, especially since the vast majority of people take a-lvls.

Also, don't neg me for this, but IB seems much more easier, at least in my college. The IB guys have bloody 3 hour breaks, not to mention the normal lunch breaks!

But best of luck in your applications. :smile:

I'd think AP is more common in America, and i believe it's quite popular in Australia too.

My school only does IB and they always put forward the fact that IB is better for universities blah blah blah lol

Ps i'm not sure what IB is like at your college lol, that never happens in my school or any school i've heard of lol but lucky them anyway
Reply 31
I'd think AP is more common in America, and i believe it's quite popular in Australia too.

My school only does IB and they always put forward the fact that IB is better for universities blah blah blah lol

Ps i'm not sure what IB is like at your college lol, that never happens in my school or any school i've heard of lol but lucky them anyway

Yeap. AP is more common.

What I had initailly meant was the IB is more common in the west side of the pond than it is in the UK.
Reply 32
On top of being harder to meet offers, exams are much more difficult because they're not as systematic as a levels. The fact that an A-level student can retake his module 3 times before getting his A2 qualification, whereas IB have to do all their exams in one take already shows the disparity. However, as the IB is not a national qualification, it would be unfair for it to be of advantage, as more often than not, it is the independent schools which do IB and they would then be accused of 'elitism'.
Reply 33
Original post by robawalsh

"Universities don't appreciate your qualification which makes you a better all rounded student, more prepared for university. You shouldn't have done it. Problem solved. "

More rounded and prepared to university? That's your own personal opinion, so no need for the misleading quote marks.
Reply 34
I've found this as well;
Durham - 38 for A*AA
St Andrews - 40 for AAA
Oxford - 38-40 for AAA
so I think it varies, its also worth noting that if you miss your offer, its much easier to persuade them to take you - a girl last year got an offer from Cambridge for 39 but got 38 and still got accepted..

Whaaaaat?! I have TWO frees a week!
Original post by robawalsh
Haha! You do that!
I never got a reply from Bristol. I didn't really expect them to tbh...
Besides, I can't apply there anyway because of my predicted grades :frown:
Good luck with Imperial.

My head of year reported Imperial to the IB office so its like a fudge you to them without having to actually boycott them or something :L

And tbh, predicted grades are a load of baloney, my school got really bad IB grades last year (it was the 1st year) and lowered all our predicteds so I've now applied to Cambridge with 557 predicted in my highers which obviously doesn't meet their entry requirements. But I only found out just before I applied so I just went ahead anyway. So I'm basically trying to say as long as your grades aren't massively far off Bristols apply anyway, you know seizing the day and all that jazz. Everyone needs one aspirational choice and then just make sure your others are more realistic.

Good luck with your application :smile:
Yes, I think IB students are at a disadvantage. But you will be at an advantage once you are actually at university. I think the biggest difference is A levels are modular whereas IB is everything at the end of 2 years. It makes a huge difference.
Reply 37

Too be honest, it's quite difficult to say as the grades aren't exactly comparable.

7's are notoriously hard to acheive, and are proababily worth the same a solid A* grade at A Level, as less 7's are given out than A*'s.

It's generally accepted that a 6 is an A. When UCAS tariff goes down, the 6 is staying as A equivalent. So effectively they're getting rid of a B grade, which is strange and I actually have no idea how they're going to do their offers.

The grades are somewhat staggered, ie. where A Level grades are realively easily dispersed IB grades are a bit weird. It's ok to go from a 4 to a 5, hard to make the break from a 5 to a 6 and stupidly difficult to go from a 6 to a 7... If that makes any sense?
Reply 38
Original post by digestives
On top of being harder to meet offers, exams are much more difficult because they're not as systematic as a levels. The fact that an A-level student can retake his module 3 times before getting his A2 qualification, whereas IB have to do all their exams in one take already shows the disparity. However, as the IB is not a national qualification, it would be unfair for it to be of advantage, as more often than not, it is the independent schools which do IB and they would then be accused of 'elitism'.

I do IB at a state grammar school, but you're right it is mostly public schools that do it.
Don't forget there is some advantage to the IB (not least the level of challenge will prepare you for the hard work of university and postgraduate study), it's a qualification recgonised far beyond this country, so if you did want to consider study on the other side of the pond for example your chosen university won't find the grade conversion as annoying as the A-Levels.

I happen to think the IB is a better qualification than A-Levels, but that we have become so stuck in the mindset of 'must take a levels to succeed' in this country that IB will always be a minority qualification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending