The Student Room Group

How to treat homeless/beggars?

Scroll to see replies

The big issue is a good idea! :smile: Buy that maybe ?
Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername
I'd always been told by my parents not to give to them as they'll just use it for drink/drugs. This video changed my mind a bit, especially the part about hoping for 20p to use a public bathroom and about giving 2ps and 1ps to charity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBeuk5Dt4Dw I suppose everyone has a story and a reason for being where they are.

Yes, they might use the money to help fuel an addiction or it might be a scam but they might have some 'better' use for the money in mind and you're probably not going to find that out just by looking at them. It's a risk a lot of people might not be comfortable with but I don't think what they need it for really matters. I mean, it's their choice really. They're not going to stop being an addict because you didn't give them 10p, they'll look for another way of getting money. Besides, if they're on the streets and it's freezing or raining and they have whatever problem forced them onto the streets in the first place running through their head, I don't blame them for wanting something to help them forget the pain and the cold. Giving them some spare change isn't going to make a huge difference anyway. If I give a homeless person a few spare coins or a cup of tea, I don't expect it to have any real impact on their problem, it's more about letting them know that someone actually cares. Maybe if lots of people briefly show them that they care, that little bit of hope might be enough to help them along.

That said, if they're being rude or demand money without at least being polite, I tend to just say 'no, sorry' and walk on. If they seem genuine then I'll give them something. I know it's not enough though so I'm trying to get involved with a couple of homelessness charities. I can't imagine what it's like to just sit there night after night in the cold with people ignoring you all the time. It must be horrible :frown: When you get that vulnerable, it's bound to be hard to get back on your feet if people aren't willing to help you out.

I watched that video and I didn't really understand a lot of what that woman was saying.
Reply 102
Original post by Blind Ferret

Another example - I was with my dad and some woman came upto us, all scraggy. She was a prostitute, she begged for money because she was 'starving' and my dad said "Look, you can come with us to the shop over there and i'll get you a sandwich but I'm not giving you money". To which she started swearing and calling him a dick.

What a bitch! :mad:

I feel so sorry for your dad :frown:

:hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 103
My brother lives in London and is always running into them. He said one of them told him that if someone just says 'sorry I don't have any change' when they ask then they are usually fine with that. It is the people who just walk past and ignore them when they ask them for change or whatever. I don't see the point in being inpolite and people general respond better to polite people.
Original post by Stratos
I am self-centered dear I said so in my posts already :biggrin:. I only care for others if they provide benefits for me. hence my caring is merely the act of preserving the relationship beneficial for me, even if it's mutually beneficial my reasons aren't.

You said; "What need is there for guilt, it is a useless emotion that only restrains me from experiencing the greatest happiness"

I responded to your rhetorical question; 'what need is there for guilt' with;

"perhaps guilt is indicative of prima facia duties, fraternal bonds and empathy? To care for others? Even from a quite abstract self-interest a certain amount of mutual care and aid is quite benefitial."

Thus there is a use for guilt.

I don't really know why you ignored the quite logical flow of events and posted this bizarrely unrelated post - nor why you fell to attempting to what i can only presume is an attempt at patronisation by calling me 'dear'.
Reply 105
Original post by Randell Turbruss
You said; "What need is there for guilt, it is a useless emotion that only restrains me from experiencing the greatest happiness"

I responded to your rhetorical question; 'what need is there for guilt' with;

"perhaps guilt is indicative of prima facia duties, fraternal bonds and empathy? To care for others? Even from a quite abstract self-interest a certain amount of mutual care and aid is quite benefitial."

Thus there is a use for guilt.

I don't really know why you ignored the quite logical flow of events and posted this bizarrely unrelated post - nor why you fell to attempting to what i can only presume is an attempt at patronisation by calling me 'dear'.

I was talking about my two other posts, I love the use of the word dear.
Original post by Stratos
I was talking about my two other posts, I love the use of the word dear.

Then why did you quote me..? And that's fair enough, sorry for the presumption.
Reply 107
Original post by Randell Turbruss
Then why did you quote me..? And that's fair enough, sorry for the presumption.

No idea I'm confused myself, after I read your post I understood what you meant, which means my quoting of you was obsolete. :biggrin:
I've never understood why people are so concerned their money is going towards alcohol or drugs. Living on the streets is more **** than most people can possibly imagine (I've worked with homeless people quite a bit). It's cold, it's miserable, it's lonely, it's dangerous, it's terrifying. I know I'd want a drink or a hit of something and if that's what they want to spend their money on then let them. Obviously it's not ideal, and there are great organisations working with people to try and help them with their addictions, but if someone does have a problem then they're going to fuel that any way they can. I always try and give a bit of cash if someone asks me, even if it's a chancer asking for 50p for a phonecall/train fare and there's a 99% chance they're ripping me off. you never know what's going on.
Reply 109
I give them a couple of quid if they ask. I don't judge them to harshly, if they want to go and spend it on alcohol and cigarettes then so be it, that's were most of my money seems to go anyway. :ahee:
Reply 110
Original post by don_lad_
I've never understood why people are so concerned their money is going towards alcohol or drugs. Living on the streets is more **** than most people can possibly imagine (I've worked with homeless people quite a bit). It's cold, it's miserable, it's lonely, it's dangerous, it's terrifying. I know I'd want a drink or a hit of something and if that's what they want to spend their money on then let them. Obviously it's not ideal, and there are great organisations working with people to try and help them with their addictions, but if someone does have a problem then they're going to fuel that any way they can. I always try and give a bit of cash if someone asks me, even if it's a chancer asking for 50p for a phonecall/train fare and there's a 99% chance they're ripping me off. you never know what's going on.

Saw a homeless guy ask a woman for some spare change once at night, she replied with ''no, you'll only spend it on drink''... before entering a club across the road with her friends. :facepalm:
Original post by jesusofsuburbia
how many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesn't see?

Ask Arsene Wenger...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending