The Student Room Group

How to treat homeless/beggars?

In my local area beg gars on the street aren't a very common sight, however whenever I travel to the nearest city I often get asked for change. I feel terrible saying no or ignoring them, its really not something I feel comfortable with.

I'm cautious of giving them change in how they might use it (drugs/alcohol/things that may make there situation worse). Should I:

-Offer to buy them some food?
-Help them find info about local homeless charities/soup kitchens/shelters?
-Just give them change.

I obviously want to stay safe but want to at least help them a little bit. What should I be doing (apart from volunteering for shelters)?

Scroll to see replies

I buy the Big Issue. Then I know it's going towards helping people and not just a drug hit or someone who's scamming you.
A homeless man approached me on Monday selling the big issue, he seemed genuine so for some strange reason I gave him £20 - it was quite unusual of me as I'm not normally charitable, but I felt he needed it more than I, given the circumstances, and didn't seem like the person to misuse it.

I wouldn't ever just give money to someone sat there, though. I think it was the fact that he had the balls to actually approach me and was very polite about it.

There was something admirable about his courage in doing that.
With disdain and contempt.

Spoiler

Reply 4
As horrible as it may sound I just ignore them.

But that's because I'm a apathetic bastard.
Reply 5
It's up to you... most just ignore them.

Big Issue or just donate to something like the Salvation Army. They do food for homeless all over the country.

I give them the full sticker card off McDonalds brews... after 6 you get a free coffee
Reply 6
"Just...Say...No"
Reply 7
I walk past and say no, it's not that hard.
Reply 8
I usually only give to people on the streets if they are clearly trying to better themselves anyway they can, for example I saw a man sitting on the pavement a few weeks ago selling origami objects, although I knew I would never need them they did seem pretty impressive and the man was clearly working hard, so I gave him a fiver for a few. I don't like giving to people just sitting on the pavement with a bottle of Jack Daniels and a cigarette in their mouth, I kinda know where my money will go there and then.
Reply 9
I always think donating to charities is the best option and just ignore those on the street, that way it's not going on drink and drugs.
Reply 10
Original post by jamesjamesk
I usually only give to people on the streets if they are clearly trying to better themselves anyway they can, for example I saw a man sitting on the pavement a few weeks ago selling origami objects, although I knew I would never need them they did seem pretty impressive and the man was clearly working hard, so I gave him a fiver for a few.

aww :hugs:
I ignore them because I'm not some do-gooder liberal.
Reply 12
Original post by ihatecricket
me too!

i rekon they spend all the money they beg for on tennants and cheap fags :confused:

Even if they spent it on something good I still wouldn't give it to them because I only care about myself(I'm a apathetic bastard after all)
Reply 13
"One is punished most for one's virtues." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Give to a homeless person, and they will remember your face. They'll expect it again and turn up the guilt trips if you don't oblige, particularly if you gave a big donation.

Given a strong Christian background, I was once tortured with guilt when placed in that situation, even when unwaged and thus, with very little to give. Learning to say "no" without guilt was very difficult indeed. In my experience, sometimes one needs to make the gut-wrenching decision to (metaphorically) sell one's soul to avoid being taken advantage of. Harsh, but that's life.

Many students have the opposite problem though - too much "me me me" and not enough guilt...
Reply 14
Original post by Mequa
"One is punished most for one's virtues." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Give to a homeless person, and they will remember your face. They'll expect it again and turn up the guilt trips if you don't oblige, particularly if you gave a big donation.

Given a strong Christian background, I was once tortured with guilt when placed in that situation, even when unwaged and thus, with very little to give. Learning to say "no" without guilt was very difficult indeed. In my experience, sometimes one needs to make the gut-wrenching decision to (metaphorically) sell one's soul to avoid being taken advantage of. Harsh, but that's life.

Many students have the opposite problem though - too much "me me me" and not enough guilt...

What need is there for guilt, it is a useless emotion that only restrains me from experiencing the greatest happiness.
I do always feel guilty whenever I pass them. I offer them food if I have any on me. I gave a homeless persons a day travelcard the other day, just because I'd rather give it to someone instead of throwing it away.

But I do buy the big issue, and if I've got time I do chat to them, because it is a lonely world they live in, sometimes it makes their day when someone actually takes an interest in them rather than constantly being ignored. I almost cried when I saw a homeless person today, he wasn't begging, just sitting in the corner scratching his hands - this guy was black, but his hands were dry, white and flakey, they looked really painful :'(
Reply 16
I don't do anything for homeless people, since nothing I do will change their life in the long run.

Beggers/big issue people should be transported to somewhere like Spitsbergen and be forgotten about, since they're usually frauds.

I might occasionally give change to a performer if they're good, but that's it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by No Man
I don't do anything for homeless people, since nothing I do will change their life in the long run.

Beggers/big issue people should be transported to somewhere like Spitsbergen and be forgotten about, since they're usually frauds.

I might occasionally give change to a performer if they're good, but that's it.

how many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesn't see?
Original post by Stratos
What need is there for guilt, it is a useless emotion that only restrains me from experiencing the greatest happiness.

It's not called guilt, it's called empathy. Try it some time.
If you want to help them give them food and a warm drink. Some may use money for drugs, that's correct, but most will be hungry and cold and will welcome it. I find it incredibly hard to simply walk past many homeless people as I have been briefly homeless myself. Since I was 10 or 11 I have given homeless people food and drink when I could. There is so much more we should be doing for our homeless and while I recognise many are there for reasons they could have controlled many are not and the attitude many people have that if something is somebody's own fault they don't deserve help is abhorrent to me personally. I'm often very critical of organised religions but in this case I've seen them do a lot of good, to throw that out there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending