The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
E&Y will pay a bit more. KMPG gove you lunch money (£4@clients, £2.80 in staff canteen). Works out the same when you take that into account.

KPMG have a residential tax school/hotel for training their tax grads. Unless E&Y do something similar, i'd choose KMPG for that reason alone. It'll be more of a laugh.
Reply 2
brabzzz
E&Y will pay a bit more. KMPG gove you lunch money (£4@clients, £2.80 in staff canteen). Works out the same when you take that into account.

KPMG have a residential tax school/hotel for training their tax grads. Unless E&Y do something similar, i'd choose KMPG for that reason alone. It'll be more of a laugh.

I'd say E&Y. Just cos i can't stand KPMG...

Deloitte & PWC are the one's you want to be working for... :wink:
Reply 3
lukyeh

Why is that so?Is Deloitte and PWC bigger?
Reply 4
clouds
Why is that so?Is Deloitte and PWC bigger?

They pay more, they have bigger clients, faster career progression.

Deloitte especially, which is the fastest growing - but PWC is hot sh*t too.
Reply 5
lukyeh

Deloitte especially, which is the fastest growing - but PWC is hot sh*t too.

KPMG reported greatest growth in UK fee revenue last year, with a 20% increase (21% increase in profit). They were followed by E&Y (15%), PwC (12%) and Deloitte (8.8%).
Reply 6
astralcars
KPMG reported greatest growth in UK fee revenue last year, with a 20% increase (21% increase in profit). They were followed by E&Y (15%), PwC (12%) and Deloitte (8.8%).

Fastest growing as in the most profitable.

Plus Deloitte have been the fastest growing over the last few years.
I'd venture that revenue growth matters more than profit growth.

Being cost efficient doesn't mean you're good.
Reply 8
lukyeh

Lol, whatever the truth is/may be (and is certainly debatable), that statement is useless. Totally useless. Not one useful bit of information contained in there for the original poster...or anyone else for that matter.

lukyeh

- Maybe...but thats, for the most part offset by various other benefits. Bear in mind slight culture differences too - go visit them.
- WTF?
- Any advice regarding best and fastest career progression is also surplus to any answer, as it makes dick all difference in the Big4 world. For at least the first 4 years your progression will be in lockstep with all the other joiners.

----
Dude, pick wherever you think you like it most. It's a very temporary decision if need be.
Reply 9
lukyeh
Fastest growing as in the most profitable.

Plus Deloitte have been the fastest growing over the last few years.
Not really. Again, a look at the 2005 accounts would show that operating profit at Deloitte grew by 12%.

The original poster should listen to brabzzz. All these numbers will have no impact on your day to day work as a graduate. Ideally, your choice should be based on personal experience of the two firms. There's not enough difference between them to warrant agonising over the decision :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks guys! I do have a gut feeling that I should go for KPMG, although the new E&Y building is impressive and they say that KPMG is no competition to them in the field of tax. :smile:

However, I somehow felt more comfortable at KPMG, loved the fact that there is a tax business school, and that I get both the ICAS and CTA qualifications. Moreover, since I will be moving to the UK, it was important to me that I can get a portion of the graduate loan before even starting, something which E&Y didn't offer.

I am still undecided for several reasons, the first being that E&Y do seem to have a better tax department and KPMG has been involved in the well publicised tax shelters scandal in the US. I am also unsere whether it is better to get a chance to work in different tax areas (KPMG), or concentrate on corporate tax (EY).

I did get invited to an assessment centre at Deloitte but since I applied for Private Clients, which I later realised was not what I wanted, and already had two offers, I couldn't be bothered to travel to the UK again.

Anyways, they say u should follow ur insticts, right? :smile:
Reply 11
A lot of us here had offers from several of the big-4 and industry. The first reason people give regarding why they chose KPMG was the 'people/felt comfortable/etc' factor you mentioned. Apart from the 'we value people' PR crap they feed you - there does actually appear to be a bit of truth to it!

Seriously don't worry about how they all compare against each other for Tax. SO many people are employed in the tax departments acoss all areas of tax that it makes no difference to begin with (ie 3 years). You can jump like this <clicks fingers> upon qualification. For a more specific/niche role (ie not tax) this 'all equal' view miht not hold. It does for tax.

Lol: All the Big4 were involved in the US ''scandals'' (were they really scandals?). It's just that some didn't kiss the governments arse at the very very first opportunity...which turned out to be a bit of an error!
Reply 12
I am still undecided for several reasons, the first being that E&Y do seem to have a better tax department and KPMG has been involved in the well publicised tax shelters scandal in the US.

That was my primary concern when deciding what offer to take, though I'm in TS, not tax. KPMG's problems in the US eclipse those of other firms but given the never ending litigation faced by the Big 4 and the fact that UK operations aren't affected, I didn't feel it was overly significant. Back when choosing an internship, I turned down E&Y because of their UK lawsuit with Equitable Life. That eventually worked out well for them, and any concern was unjustified. Things can change very quickly. A firm seemingly immune from trouble today may well be on the front of the headlines tomorrow.

In the highly unlikely case that there's any trouble, you could simply go elsewhere. After all, the amount of work to be done is unchanged. I've met quite a few ex Arthur Anderson employees who did just that.
They are all the same at the end of the day. The fact you actually have a choice is an achievement in itself so just go with one that would be offering the best office environment and hope for the best!
ok, this is off the topic, but any of you guyz working for the Big4, did u go after A-levels, or afta doing your degree? cuz i'm really confused don't know whats the betta choice!
Reply 15
There are a bunch of threads on this already - I went as a grad and i'd wouldn't change my decision for the world. It IS a better choice, imho - not just career wise but personally.
Reply 16
If your working in a regional office, the petrol money at KPMG is like an extra £100 in your wage per week.
Reply 17
cor
If your working in a regional office, the petrol money at KPMG is like an extra £100 in your wage per week.

All expenses are totally covered. In the case of car miles, you make quiet a tidy profit bu taking the car instead of rail/whatever else. The allowance per mile if pretty damn generous.

Not that that's dick all use to me. I'm bang in the center of London, CF is deskbound (usually), I have no car...and can't drive! :biggrin:
Reply 18
brabzzz
All expenses are totally covered. In the case of car miles, you make quiet a tidy profit bu taking the car instead of rail/whatever else. The allowance per mile if pretty damn generous.

I know, I work for them :p:

and trust me CF is sooo much better than audit!!
hey guys, you seem have got the offers from either one of the 2 companies. Can you give me some ideas on how to prepare and what to prepare for the assessment centre for both of them. ? thanks so much. here is my email address, if you can drop me an email, i will be really appreciated.
[email protected]:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending