The Student Room Group

I'm a girl, what hobbies can I take up ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by viffer
I assume you mean computer gaming which, imo, is for people who need to get out more. Unless you meant rugby, football, hockey etc etc of course then crack on. Meet new (real) people, exercise, train to improve skill and fitness :smile:

Why would being a computer gamer mean a person needs to get out any more than somebody who sits glued to the TV watching things like the X Factor?

I use gaming as a way of chilling out for no more than about 4 hours a week... doesn't make me a loser or mean I need to get out more (and yes, I'm a girl).

Sorry if this post sounds confrontational, the internet likes doing that, I'm just trying to point out, rather than be aggressive :smile:
Reply 121
Original post by Nut.
Why would being a computer gamer mean a person needs to get out any more than somebody who sits glued to the TV watching things like the X Factor?

I use gaming as a way of chilling out for no more than about 4 hours a week... doesn't make me a loser or mean I need to get out more (and yes, I'm a girl).

Sorry if this post sounds confrontational, the internet likes doing that, I'm just trying to point out, rather than be aggressive :smile:

Wasn't being confrontational. And if it came down to a choice between gaming and getting a sofa spud televisual fix of non-entities or Z-lister celebrities having a ****e then gaming it would have to be. Reality TV is MUCH worse imo. :smile:
Music, art, writing? Make YouTube videos? Do a blog? Mountain climbing? :ahee:
Reply 123
Netball if you want to pick up a sport.
Okay I'll tell you some of the things I've done in the past then you can see if anything "grabs" you.. this may just show what a sad life I lead, ha ha.

- Learn a musical instrument. You can get them relatively cheap off eBay and then buy a beginner's tuition book. If you choose to play the keyboard then there are hundreds of tutorials on YouTube to learn whichever songs you like.. my friends are always impressed when they come round and we can do karaoke because I can play songs.

- Volunteer. I have volunteered in the past at a charity shop and at Girl Guides; both of which were rewarding in their own way. If you fancy it, you could join St John's Ambulance or help out with youth community projects. Obviously it depends on what your tastes are.

- Gaming! I don't know if you have any consoles, but I assure you it's not just men who get excited from video games. If you've never tried them before then why not give it a go? You'll be amazed just how addictive the games are.

- Sports. Have you ever been to any sports matches? Doesn't have to be football; your local area might have rugby, hockey, polo, tennis matches.. or anything that you can go and watch. You could also join a team if you like, but obviously I don't know how sporty you are.

- Find a new skill. In my village there's a pottery workshop where you can make your own pots and glaze and paint them, it's such good fun if you take a couple of friends with you. Also they make excellent Christmas presents. Towns normally have lots of classes like flower arranging, cake decorating.. don't knock it until you've tried it!

- Travelling. I don't know how far you've been, but even if you stay in the UK there are lots of places that you can go to see some pretty amazing things. Some of the countryside is stunning, and there are lots of visitor attractions all over the country that are relatively cheap.
Reply 125
Scuba diving is awesome. Well depends a bit on where you live, with water temperatures and visibility. Apparently Scotland has okay visibility and some good wrecks, the rest of Britain can be a bit murky. But if you start to dive now then later in life you'll be qualified to do whatever you want and if you find yourself on a tropical island you can go for it without having to waste time in training =) Diving also teaches you self-control (if you panic at 30m you're screwed), patience and manual dexterity. Oh and non-verbal communication since you can't talk underwater with a regulator in your mouth. Also if you go deep enough you get nitrogen narcosis, which is like being drunk except it doesnt leave a hangover.

Knitting goes well with diving coz then youll have lots of cozy warm clothes to put on after a dive when your ass is freezing off =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending