The Student Room Group

Likelihood of withdrawing from college to go external candidate?

Basically, I'm in A2 year and have become irritated at the amount of hours spent in college compared to how quickly I learn at home. It is getting to the point where I would rather self-direct study and have time for employment, then be forced to attend a college which will do anything to discourage students from working or taking education into their own hands. I'm scheduled for retakes for some AS subjects in January, for which I have already paid the fees.

What are my chances of withdrawing at this point and still being able to sit the exams? How much will this cost? Because I understand that you need to go through a college or school to even take exams externally, is it worth asking them to just let me do it? I took a gap year before college and am pretty much only still in education because it would be a waste of time to give up now.
I would avoid leaving school if im honest. It's fully your choice of course but why exaclty did you choose to attend an academic institution if you are not commited to attending? If you are only doing this because "it would be a waste of time to give up now" then you need to re-think your plans for the future. I think it's a very very long shot that your college will grant you permission to do this. I mean not to come across as rude but you have no real reason apart from lazyness. I would stay in school and attend your lessons but work hard every hour you are free.

Many people say they could quite college, work from home, and get top grades but whilst it seems feasable and is, you are underestimating it. I have seen people do what you are planning on doing and It is not an easy ride. You should be fine if you are very inclined toward academic acheivment. If not, then stay in college, work hard, and you will do well.

I just read you OP again and you mention that not attending college would give you more time for external employment? If you are planning on working half way decent hours in a job on the lead up to retakes whilst self teaching then prepare to fail.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by glammy_samoyed
Basically, I'm in A2 year and have become irritated at the amount of hours spent in college compared to how quickly I learn at home. It is getting to the point where I would rather self-direct study and have time for employment, then be forced to attend a college which will do anything to discourage students from working or taking education into their own hands. I'm scheduled for retakes for some AS subjects in January, for which I have already paid the fees.

What are my chances of withdrawing at this point and still being able to sit the exams? How much will this cost? Because I understand that you need to go through a college or school to even take exams externally, is it worth asking them to just let me do it? I took a gap year before college and am pretty much only still in education because it would be a waste of time to give up now.

It depends a lot where you live and what you're studying. If your current college lets you enter as an external it's simple, if not you have until 21 March to find somewhere else, but it is incredibly hard for science practicals and coursework. If you look on exam boards websites for their advice to private candidates there is quite a lot including lists of centres that might accept you. Prices range from £12 a unit to £250 depending on where you go and what you want to do - the top end are the science practicals.

Quick Reply

Latest