The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fat-Love
out of you serial lecture skippers how many of you do science subjects :holmes:

This is awkward..
I'm in my first year and this semester I've probably missed 50% of everything. Semester A I went to 90% of all lectures but seminars were the worst at 30%. I never missed a workshop though. I really really really dislike seminars and find them a total waste of time. Of all the ones I've been to I've fallen asleep 3 times, in one module they put questions on the board and tell us to 'discuss amongst ourselves' while the lecturer sits on his computer. I mean, what's the point?! 3 lectures in one module have been the exact same and in another module we had an hour learning about how to use google...

:facepalm:

This semester I was good for about 3 weeks, then had a real bad throat infection and had to be sent home for 2 weeks missing everything. Then slowly got back on track, then my grandad was rushed into hospital, so went home again, missing a few lectures. Then my nanna had really bad fall and broke her collarbone and I was needed to help so missed more... This week I've had shingles so been literally dead all week. Just seems to be one thing after another... Only have one week left, doubt the tutors even know who I am.

The thing is, I've got around 60% in all assignments this semester and I'm not behind at all because they put lecture notes on blackboard and I've done my own reading -which seems to be more useful than the lectures sometimes.

I have high hopes for 2nd year because I get to learn about things I'm interested in so will hopefully be more motivated.
Original post by Unununium
This is awkward..

It's kay. I have 9ams monday to saturday and I've only been to half of them :biggrin:

Who says scientists need to go to lectures?
Original post by Fat-Love
It's kay. I have 9ams monday to saturday and I've only been to half of them :biggrin:

Who says scientists need to go to lectures?

I have 9ams monday to friday and its so dire :L sometimes i just have 9am and thats it for the day - its like a waste of getting out of bed! id say i go to 90% of stuff though =)
I've been pretty good this term and am not missing more than one lecture a week. It's always tempting though, especially when lecturers record their presentations/put up their own summary notes :smile:
It's not terrible, but this term it's higher then it was last term. I'd say..20% of them or something?

I have Uni 3 days a week..(Year 2)

My fullest day is Monday, I don't skip that, though I've left before the last lecture a couple of times, but that was more out of exhaustion. (It's gotten a bit better now but the last few months I've felt like I haven't slept no matter how much sleep I've had, had headaches, felt dizzy etc..so sometimes it's just not worth it when you know you won't take it in, luckily notes are all powerpoints online.)

Thursday, I've skipped a lecture this term because of how dumb the timetable is. We have a 9-10am lecture, 12-1, then 4:30 till 5:30. I commute to Uni and that last hour lecture is from a module everyone dislikes, which has two assignments and one test. The things we learnt for the test where done on Mondays in the computer lab. The Thursday afternoon stuff is like "how to write reports, how to fill out funding forms etc". Since they post the lecture powerpoint..it hardly seems worth it.

Friday I go to all lectures, though I've accidentally missed the morning lecture a couple of times :tongue:. I often don't go to the 4-5pm tutorials though, because I get a lift home if I leave at 4 which dramatically cuts down on travel time. :tongue:

I haven't had anyone bring it up though tbh and at the moment with the last four assignments, I'm on a 1st overall. Compared to a girl who's been to about two-three of each lecture all term, and one guy who hasn't been to anything and just hands assessed work in on the due date, I'm doing great haha.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 146
had 100% attendance last semester. Don't really think it's the be all and end all though, textbooks are very good for law....
Last semester I went to all my seminars but I missed most of my lectures in the last week as I had two coursework deadlines. This semester I'm missing one seminar at the end of next week as I have an orthodontist appointment and I've missed two lectures- one because it was in the reading week for my other 2 modules and one because I went to Parliament with a society.
Reply 148
If I averaged it out it would probably be missing three a term in first year (woke up after it had started and didn't want to disturb it by walking in late, I know it annoys me,) then I skipped another as I was revising with a friend in the library. Then I skipped two tutorials because they were pretty pointless and I couldn't stand the tutor, then a further two because my dad was in the area so it was easier to collect me for the holidays then.

This year I've missed more as I had about 6 weeks where I was seriously thinking of dropping out. I think I missed about 12 lectures and 1 tutorial but none of them were this term.
Reply 149
Not enough. I always seem to miss Mondays though. It isn't my fault either, the trains are awful on a Monday. *sigh*
Reply 150
Went to every lecture/seminar the first semester.

Missed about 6 the second. It's not looking good I tell ya.
My attendance has dropped a lot this semester. Oops.
Original post by fredscarecrow
I missed 1 or 2 lectures a term in my under grad - we had to register each lecture and had to explain any absences (over 3 in a module without explanation = expulsion).

In all years missed 4 one in genetics as I got in late and 2nd year missed one being late stuck on the main road and missed one just before the easter break due to problems with my IS, missed one IS lecture which got changed and forgot about it.

We got the same registation as fredscarecrow at Derby
after the last c/w was handed in for one of my modules (which was 100% c/w) i obviously stopped going in coz there was no point :dontknow:

but id say my attendance is fairly good...as long as i dont oversleep :colondollar:
I attend the majority of lectures and tutorials. Don't generally have a problem getting up in the mornings, so I may as well :tongue: Also have shockingly few contact hours this semester and find myself actually looking forward to going in for a lecture!
Original post by Meeee :)
Question in the title.

I'm in my second year and I keep missing uni. I know I really shouldn't, but I'm finding it so hard to motivate myself because I really dislike my course. I'm completely on top of all my work and when discussing uni with my friends who do go to class, I feel I know as much, if not more than them because the guilt from not going in to uni makes me do further reading to make myself feel better!
I know which classes are really important so make the effort to go to them, I just struggle with the others. It's not like I sleep all day instead of going to uni, I do still work I just much prefer it and get on much better doing it alone or going to the library for a few hours. I'm in contact with my tutors regularly so I'm not missing out on important information that is given out.

Kinda curious, since this was 7 years ago how did you get on? Were you're grades impacted?

Latest

Trending

Trending