The Student Room Group

2012 Consulting Interviews / Rejections / Offers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I hope people realise the big name strat houses only take on a handful of grads each. Compare how many people know the name McKinsey to how many London office analysts they're taking on and then you'll realise how most 'perfect' candidates get rejected
Reply 101
Original post by Smtn
I hope people realise the big name strat houses only take on a handful of grads each. Compare how many people know the name McKinsey to how many London office analysts they're taking on and then you'll realise how most 'perfect' candidates get rejected

This is why i wondered if it was worth applying without a first from oxbridge. They can clearly be choosy enough to take only them, yet they state a 2.1 from anywhere, or 'target schools' which is probably just a lie lol
Reply 102
just got rejected from bain, not surprised about that one
Original post by miiiiil
just got rejected from bain, not surprised about that one

Sorry about that. When did you apply?
Reply 104
Ages ago, probably beginning of october
Original post by miiiiil
This is why i wondered if it was worth applying without a first from oxbridge. They can clearly be choosy enough to take only them, yet they state a 2.1 from anywhere, or 'target schools' which is probably just a lie lol

Yeah exactly. I would rather they be honest and say they don't recruit from anywhere except oxbridge+LSE.
Reply 106
Original post by RobinSheridan99
Yeah exactly. I would rather they be honest and say they don't recruit from anywhere except oxbridge+LSE.

99% true, but if you have that special something you can get in. The only person I know who works at McKinsey went to Nottingham.
Original post by GunnerMT
99% true, but if you have that special something you can get in. The only person I know who works at McKinsey went to Nottingham.

Yeah. I guess the hard thing is getting the interview in the first place. I never feel too annoyed if I get rejected after an interview. Its a fair process, you can actually show skills instead of just stating you have them.

I do get annoyed when I'm rejected with no reasons stated. It would be really simple to solve. With each rejection email they send out, they should include a standard sentence about which particular competency they did not meet standards on. eg

'Unfortunately, your work experience/academic credentials/test score/Extra curricular/etc did not match that of some other highly qualified candidates.'

I wouldn't be nearly as pissed off then, and it would be really useful feedback, especially if you get lots of rejections saying the same thing. As it is, I don't know if I'm getting rejected because my uni isn't good enough, because my work experience isn't good enough, if I haven't networked enough..etc etc.
Anyone else heard from Bain yet? Anyone actually been invited to interview? Getting a bit late in the day now...
Reply 109
Rejected from Bain. Not surprised but still slightly disappointed.
Reply 110
Rejected from bain! No MBBB for me then. :frown: Also got a reject from Mars which was sent by snail mail in good quality paper which was quite surprising.
I have no bloody idea what I am lacking coz I have a first in undergrad+decent eca+decent internships+ I study in lse. Maybe its the cover letter, maybe its lack of networking ugh!
This whole experience of recruiting has been such a confidence shatter!
Reply 111
Got the big R from Bain. Add that to the list...

PS. Jon... You're on my course! How did u do in the end, any joy?
Reply 112
Bain rejection here, I guess they might have overhired last yr :P
Reply 113
Bain rejection also. My friend got an interview though.

I talked to someone who works there and he said they are hiring a lot fewer people this year compared to last year.
Reply 114
Original post by Dreamy
Bain rejection also. My friend got an interview though.

I talked to someone who works there and he said they are hiring a lot fewer people this year compared to last year.

What background/ECs did your friend have? No one I know got an interview invite and I'm yet to understand what they were looking for. Between us we have different types of ECs and all have solid academic backgrounds. Attended all their presentations and met lots of employees etc.
Reply 115
rejection from bain. I have 1.5 years of IB experience top uni and rejection. but I had an invite last march for a regional office, which I didn't go to . should have gone lol. this job market is very bad. will prob need to wait till march
Reply 116
Original post by wazzup
rejection from bain. I have 1.5 years of IB experience top uni and rejection. but I had an invite last march for a regional office, which I didn't go to . should have gone lol. this job market is very bad. will prob need to wait till march

Do you apply for a grad position if you have 1.5 yrs experience - or experienced hire?
Bain invite, and, 10 minutes after, somehow, a final round invite from BCG. Comiserations to those who didn't get good news, it seems like huge piles of people are getting dumped fairly arbitrarily!
Original post by Riverforge
Bain invite, and, 10 minutes after, somehow, a final round invite from BCG. Comiserations to those who didn't get good news, it seems like huge piles of people are getting dumped fairly arbitrarily!

Congrats buddy, glad its not going badly for everyone!

Its reassuring to know that lots of people are finding it hard though I suppose.
Reply 119
Original post by TheV
What background/ECs did your friend have? No one I know got an interview invite and I'm yet to understand what they were looking for. Between us we have different types of ECs and all have solid academic backgrounds. Attended all their presentations and met lots of employees etc.

He goes to Bath Uni and is on a first for a numerate degree. Good ECs - he pretty much runs every student night there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending