The Student Room Group

is it possible to switch my pgce subject?

i have applied for the intake of 2012, i have an interview soon and am wondering if its possible to switch to primary pgce instead? should i notify the place interviewing me and tell them im thinking of doing this instead or should i wait until i get a place and then ask to switch? i know it makes me seem like im wishy washy and cant make up my mind but its a huge decision to make and now im wishing i would have put primary down :frown:
If you are unsure of which age group to choose, you should have got more experience of the different types before applying, and then deciding which one

Providers will not be impressed with candidates unsure of age groups
Reply 2
Original post by Jimmy Mullen
If you are unsure of which age group to choose, you should have got more experience of the different types before applying, and then deciding which one

Providers will not be impressed with candidates unsure of age groups

This.
When they interview you, they'll be assessing your suitability to teach a particular age group and/or subject area. If they offer you a place based on this, they will not be prepared to let you switch to a completely different age range. My advice would be to get some experience in primary to make sure it's for you as you've obviously very recently applied for secondary so have only just changed your mind. It's probably best to withdraw your application and reapply for the age range you want to teach when you are able to clearly articulate why you want to do it.
You can, I changed last year from primary (had a place) to secondary science but only decided this around the August so I basically ran out of time so I'm reapplying this year.

It would be slightly different for you I guess because I was going through clearing, but basically you can't completely withdraw your application from gtrr without forfeiting the year. This means you can add some primary choices to your application, however you can't change your PS. I wrote an amended one and sent it to the universities individually. I really not sure that would work for you at this time of year, plus I was trying to change to Chemistry teaching where there were loads of places left and they really don't mind if you've changed your mind. Primary is probably too competitive to change your mind to.
I suggest you contact GTTR they were very helpful whenever I talked to them and they talked through the process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending