The Student Room Group

PGCE

I’m studying at the university of Bristol this year doing an education studies degree. I’m just trying to weigh out my career options as I know it is a broad course. Just wondering, what are my chances of getting onto a PGCE history or english course as someone who studied both subjects at A level and GCSE and got A*s at GCSE and Bs at A levels? I understand that education studies is not a most efficient path into teaching, i’m not sure if it’s something I even want to do at the moment. Just curious is all :smile:
Original post by aek567
I’m studying at the university of Bristol this year doing an education studies degree. I’m just trying to weigh out my career options as I know it is a broad course. Just wondering, what are my chances of getting onto a PGCE history or english course as someone who studied both subjects at A level and GCSE and got A*s at GCSE and Bs at A levels? I understand that education studies is not a most efficient path into teaching, i’m not sure if it’s something I even want to do at the moment. Just curious is all :smile:
Hi @aek567

I am currently studying Education Studies and in my final year.

It is definitely possible to do an English or History PGCE, but I think that they will ask you to do a skills enhancement course. You can look these up if you're unfamiliar with what they are; many universities offer them.

It really depends on the provider and whether they believe you have enough knowledge. But like I said, if they don't think you do but still see you as a valuable candidate, then they will ask you to do a skills enhancement course. A lot of people prefer to do one anyway, as it really prepares them and makes them feel confident in their abilities prior to starting the PGCE.

I hope this helps. If you are unsure, talk to the careers department at your university.

I wish you all the best!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Original post by aek567

Hi @aek567,

It is not essential to have a degree in the subject you wish to teach, but it is desirable. I know of many candidates that I have supported who have managed to secure a place on a PGCE course based on their A-levels. It is entirely the choice of the training provider whether they will accept your A-levels or not.

If you aren't fully decided why not get a Get into Teaching adviser? We are all experienced teachers who offer free support and guidance to anyone who is thinking about teaching as a career. We can support you with course choices, applications and interviews. If you change your mind about teaching, that is fine too!

Good luck!
Tracy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending