The Student Room Group

how old is the oldest person at uni you know, and how hard do they party?

anyone know of any mid 50s year old fellas that love a house party and are always tryna chat up the ladies?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
...the lecturers.

There were a few 25 or so year olds that love to party. Not seen anyone much older than that partying hard.
I was once sitting on this bench outside the library at my uni when this retired man came and sat next to me. He told me he'd been to the same uni for his bachelors way back when it was first opened and now he was back to do his masters because it was something he wanted to do now that he was retired. We talked for a bit about how the uni had changed and then he wandered off. I sincerely doubt that he was partying hard and chatting up the ladies. I think he mentioned that his wife had died but I got the impression he wasn't about to start hitting on all the women at uni.

Slightly more on topic: I did once see a mature student of about your age at one of the "alternative" crowd parties I went to. He was making no attempt to chat up the ladies but was very pleasant to chat to and seemed well liked by everyone. I assume he hung out with the party organisers as well as just being at their party so he got on fine socially.
(edited 12 years ago)
The oldest people on my course have kids, so unless you count icecream and jelly as partying hard...
We do have one 27 year old who smokes weed and keeps pet raccoons?...
My friend is 33, with a young child, and she is partial to a good night out with the rest of us :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Faustus Fotherby
I was once sitting on this bench outside the library at my uni when this retired man came and sat next to me. He told me he'd been to the same uni for his bachelors way back when it was first opened and now he was back to do his masters because it was something he wanted to do now that he was retired. We talked for a bit about how the uni had changed and then he wandered off. I sincerely doubt that he was partying hard and chatting up the ladies. I think he mentioned that his wife had died but I got the impression he wasn't about to start hitting on all the women at uni.

Slightly more on topic: I did once see a mature student of about your age at one of the "alternative" crowd parties I went to. He was making no attempt to chat up the ladies but was very pleasant to chat to and seemed well liked by everyone. I assume he hung out with the party organisers as well as just being at their party so he got on fine socially.

nice story. :smile:

and

...im 18.
Original post by resentment.
nice story. :smile:

and

...im 18.

:dontknow: You posted this in mature students and I just assumed you were an older guy that wanted to know what it would be like. I admit I did think it was odd when a supposed older person used the phrase "always tryna chat up the ladies"
Reply 7
Original post by Faustus Fotherby
:dontknow: You posted this in mature students and I just assumed you were an older guy that wanted to know what it would be like. I admit I did think it was odd when a supposed older person used the phrase "always tryna chat up the ladies"

technically im a mature student. 18 and still in 6th form...
but i just like the idea of a man with grey hair/starting to go bald who is still the life and soul of a party and reliving his youth in style.
Reply 8
anyone know of any mid 50s year old fellas that love a house party and are always tryna chat up the ladies?

Well there are a few 50/60 year old in some of my modules and seeing as though I think they've got families, I guess they don't really party lol.
53 i havent seen him at gatecrasher.
Reply 10
Original post by Olie
Well there are a few 50/60 year old in some of my modules and seeing as though I think they've got families, I guess they don't really party lol.

what course?
if i had loads of money and plenty too much time at the age of 65-70, i think id go to uni, but party just as hard as everyone else!

Original post by rachelkeira
My friend is 33, with a young child, and she is partial to a good night out with the rest of us :smile:

i presume she has a house or flat and doesn't live on campus?
if she doesnt have a partner, how does she manage that?

Original post by Popppppy
The oldest people on my course have kids, so unless you count icecream and jelly as partying hard...
We do have one 27 year old who smokes weed and keeps pet raccoons?...

i love jelly.

how do people manage with young children and uni?
Reply 11
Oldest guy on my course was 50. He was always up for a night down the pub or out at a club or house party. He was just one of the group.
There's someone I know through friends who is in his 40s, with a kid, who parties harder than I do xD He goes to Rampage every time it's on, he goes to all the Socials for his subject and never turns down a night out if there is one. Don't think he goes clubbing regularly unless there is a special event on, but he definitely parties. Doesn't flirt with girls though. Not anymore than is natural in way of talking, which is to anyone, male/female/old/young. He's a person who cracks a lot of jokes and tends to take the p a lot, which I supposed could be perceived as flirtatious banter, but it's not if you know him xD
Reply 13

She doesn't party that hard, tbh, but she has some great stories about California in the 1960s.

i presume she has a house or flat and doesn't live on campus?
if she doesnt have a partner, how does she manage that?

She has her own flat nearby where she lives with her daughter and when she wants to go out, the daughter stays either with her grandma or father.
Reply 15
Hm, there was this man who was 40 and went to loads of student parties, he always tried to chat young girls up (18-19 year old) he got my flatmate's phone number and kept calling her as he wanted to go out with her (she never returned his calls). For the anecdote: I once was wearing an old pair of jeans with a hole above the knee, and he slipped his fingers through it, it was quite creepy... O_o
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
She never parties but all the girls go to her for advice. :smile:

how do people manage with young children and uni?

Both of these people are married so I assume their other halves have a good income which must help a lot. Also our uni has a nursery, which students can use, and there is a childcare fund available for those who need it.
Getting peace and quiet to do work at home is another thing though!
It's definitely an admirable accomplishment for anyone who manages it!
Me and this other girl lol. Well its just judged on who i met really. Although there was these 2 guys in one or two of my seminars and they looked older then me (i was 24 when i graduated) but i never spoke to them. Im not a big fan of partying hard, clubbing and drinking. I tried clubbing but it wasnt for me lol.
Reply 19
my friend goes to uni,shes 26, has an awesome time apparently

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending