The Student Room Group

What are the worst areas in your town or city?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by damos92
Aston, Handsworth, Alum Rock, Newtown, Yardley, Ladywood (mate got jumped by about 20 people the other night here) and sadly my area and the place i am currently typing this post in, Small Heath.

Thinking about it, Birmingham has a lot of bad areas and i've mentioned the ones where it's quite prevalent, there's other areas like Quinton and Stechford where there's quite a few chavs who cause trouble.

Still, love my city.

Handsworth really isn't that bad. People honestly make it out to be worse than it is. There are worse areas in Birmingham, by quite a margin.
Reply 41
Original post by 90pies an hour
Seacroft, Chapeltown, Halton Moor, Belle Isle, Miggy, Hawkie, Husnlet, Beeston Hill, Holbeck, Gipton, Harehills, Lincoln Green, Burmantofts, East End Park.

You've named half of Leeds there :lolwut:

How could I have forgotton Seacroft, Gipton and Harehills :facepalm2:

Roundhay ftw :ahee:
Original post by Uzzy?
You've named half of Leeds there :lolwut:

How could I have forgotton Seacroft, Gipton and Harehills :facepalm2:

Roundhay ftw :ahee:

Leeds sucks.

Harrogate ftw :wink:

It does have it's rough areas. The bus station is as rough as it gets. I cought some kids swearing and running around. That's seriously rough for Harrogatonians :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by damos92
Aston, Handsworth, Alum Rock, Newtown, Yardley, Ladywood (mate got jumped by about 20 people the other night here) and sadly my area and the place i am currently typing this post in, Small Heath.

Thinking about it, Birmingham has a lot of bad areas and i've mentioned the ones where it's quite prevalent, there's other areas like Quinton and Stechford where there's quite a few chavs who cause trouble.

Still, love my city.

Interesting that whenever you mention the worst areas in Birmingham, people instantly think of the non-white areas.

However you have also mentioned Yardley, Quinton and Stechford which are white areas.

You've mentioned all the non-white areas with the worst reputations (except maybe Lozells.)

I think the white areas with the worst reputations are Northfield, Erdington, Kingstanding and Shard End.
Reply 44
Original post by House Dagoth
my house is a 4 minute walk from bruce castle park :h: it's not that bad of an area...

I'm in Muswell Hill. which is basically a village in the middle of London lol
Glasgow... em... anywhere but the West End or the nicer city centre areas I suppose is quite bad. :P
Reply 46
Which part of London is not bad?
Reply 47
Original post by jblackmoustache
Leeds sucks.

Harrogate ftw :wink:

Jolly good old chap, why this tea is just divine I say!

:tongue:
Original post by Uzzy?
Jolly good old chap, why this tea is just divine I say!

:tongue:

Nah, Betty's is full of tourists... from Leeds :wink: Knaresbrough is really nice as well.
Reply 49
Anyone heard of "Lozells"? It's right next to Handsworth and Aston .. in Birmingham

Lozells riots 2005? 1985?

Once was the most poshest area in the country, now it's the 2nd deprived area in Birmingham..
Woolwich
Easton/St Pauls in Bristol
Reply 52
Yeahh It's a little tricky seeing as I'm from London. And then within london I live in south west london which is pretty nice tbh...I guess some parts of wandsworth are a bit dodgy but nothing compared to some places like clapham or brixton...
Digbeth is really the only area where I either wouldn't be caught dead in, or actually would be found dead in.

Everyone says Weoley Park and Northfield are places to avoid, though I generally like these areas. I dunno, maybe it's just me?

This is for Birmingham by the way.
(edited 12 years ago)
In sheffield; manor top, gleadless, firth park, tinsley
Oh and pitsmoor
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
Nah, Betty's is full of tourists... from Leeds :wink: Knaresbrough is really nice as well.

Bettys? I've been to Harrogate once :ninja: feel deprived now aha

Shadwell and Alwoodley are pretty nice too :tongue:
Reply 56
Moss Side isn't that bad! I've walked through there many times. It really has calmed down these days.

Bad stuff happens round there, but really It's just a place with a bad reputation. Students scared to even set foot round the area like 'omg if i set foot in Moss Side i'm going to get shot' :rolleyes:

I've not been recently if I'm honest. I currently live in South London though, so I know all about bad reputations; they're never accurate!

Original post by Ayah
Well let's just say i've had a few trips down there, and didn't like what i saw. A load of stuck-up people with big noses, so in my eyes, it's a rubbish place.
Ofcourse, it's not worse than Moss side, but it is not far behind i'd say.
Oh didn't know it was hypenated, dont really care to be honest (:

Oh, of course, some places have more big noses than others. Forgive me for forgetting about that intrinsic link between wealth and nose size...
Reply 57
I live in Hull. Honestly, the worst part is pretty much everything within the boundary.
Reply 58
Corby
(i don't live there)
Reply 59
Original post by TRS-T
Interesting that whenever you mention the worst areas in Birmingham, people instantly think of the non-white areas.

However you have also mentioned Yardley, Quinton and Stechford which are white areas.

You've mentioned all the non-white areas with the worst reputations (except maybe Lozells.)

I think the white areas with the worst reputations are Northfield, Erdington, Kingstanding and Shard End.

Tbh i didn't 'instantly think of the non white areas', i've lived in Birmingham all my life all over the city and i mentioned the areas in which i've been through and been harassed, seen how bad it is or where a mate/family member/someone i know has been a victim of a crime.

Northfield isn't that bad at all, tbh i'm surprised i forgot about Erdington, being the complete ****hole that it's turned into recently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending