The Student Room Group

My friend is moving to another country.

A new found close friend of mine is moving to another country. I am finding it very difficult to stop crying as he has become such a big part of my life, keeping me sane and normal lol.
In the past I haven't had much luck with friends but I really feel like I am losing my rock. I keep on crying.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep it together? Has anyone else been through a similar situation before? How did you cope?

X
Reply 1
Go with him?
well, i moved to another country and i have to say that i lost a great deal of my so called friends. but those who are still with me are the best. these are the ones i can rely on, have fun with and who are always there for me when i need them.
real friendship will be forever and if you two are such good friends you will never loose him, even if you don't hear from him a while...'cause when you see each other again, it's like he's never been away.
you need to be the friend he can rely on and give him the feeling that no matter how far away he is, you will always be there for him:wink:

moving to another country isn't easy, he will need good friends:wink:
don't worry, things will be fine :console:
When a friend moves away, one you feel especially close to it's very hard.
I guess all you can do is that before they go make sure you see them as much as possible, and don't leave anything unsaid.
Reply 4
My best friend went to live in France permanently when we were quite young. It's difficult, but it's one of those things that it's up to you what happens to your friendship. We decided to keep in touch and we went to visit each other alternate years, and we also wrote letters all the time (before the days of facebook!) Then eventually we got too busy to keep going visiting each other every year, and it became every other, but we carried on talking on facebook and on the phone.

12 years later and we're still really good mates and I'm hopefully visiting her in France next year. You have to accept that it won't be an entirely 'normal' friendship, but you can make it work if you try. You do obviously need to put in more effort than you usually would though.

You haven't said which country this is, but if it's not too far away, could you possibly visit? If not, make sure he knows he can contact you whenever and take advantage of facebook and skype! My best friend at the moment is just about to move to Chile for 21 months... absolutely no chance of me being able to visit, so I do get why you're feeling upset about it :frown: Wishing you the best of luck :smile:
Reply 5
If he is going to study abroad, you too try to go on with your friend. Does he have the same feeling of what you have or he considers you as headache and trying to move away from you.
That's a shame why not make some more new, better friends? That'll show them for moving away
I had a really good friend in school a couple of years ago that moved to Canada. I used to talk to her on MSN and Skype all the time after she left. I haven't spoken to her in over a year though, she changed quite a lot (getting loads of boyfriends, smoking weed, etc. in England she was the complete opposite) and just wasn't interested in talking to me anymore.

If he is a really good friend you'll keep in touch. If he's not moving away to far then you could go and visit him?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending