The Student Room Group

Streaming a film online (not downloading).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FinalMH
I'm sorry. Arguing with insult people is not on. I apologize.

thanks, i appreciate that you took the time to apologize. I think we should just agree to disagree, im still not convinced its illegal but i wont do it anymore just in case it is.
Reply 61
As far as i am aware, uploading it is illegal, streaming it is not.
Original post by Tommyjw
As far as i am aware, uploading it is illegal, streaming it is not.

thats what i thought but still cant prove it, so am not going to stream again until i or someone else find proof just in case.
Reply 63
Original post by aliasunknown
thats what i thought but still cant prove it, so am not going to stream again until i or someone else find proof just in case.

Nothing will happen. The reason it's such a grey area is because there is no real designated law there, as far as i am aware, all i have seen is that it 'may or may not be illegal', showing there have been no real cases there.
Reply 64
Original post by aliasunknown
thanks, i appreciate that you took the time to apologize. I think we should just agree to disagree, im still not convinced its illegal but i wont do it anymore just in case it is.

Agreed. I shouldn't argue like that, i don't like being treat so i won't. Yeah agree to disagree.
Original post by FinalMH
Agreed. I shouldn't argue like that, i don't like being treat so i won't. Yeah agree to disagree.

thanks, we had a nice debate anyway. Yeah seems like the best solution.
Reply 66
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
It was to my understanding that watching a stream wasn't illegal, it's the person uploading the stream that is breaking the law. It would be no different than going to the pictures and watching a film there and assuming they have bought/aquired the rights to show the movie, you could simply claim that you assumed the person streaming had the right to stream.

You're thinking Swedish law. In the UK both ends are culpable.

Streaming is downloading, just temporarily. The file still enters your system and sits there for a lil bit, and thus you've infringed copyright/data distribution laws.
Original post by Tommyjw
Nothing will happen. The reason it's such a grey area is because there is no real designated law there, as far as i am aware, all i have seen is that it 'may or may not be illegal', showing there have been no real cases there.

yeah, i just want to be certain that its not against any defined law and nothing will happen. I dont think there are any designated laws but im hoping someone on here will prove for definate either way within a few days.
Reply 68
Original post by Blazara
You're thinking Swedish law. In the UK both ends are culpable.

Streaming is downloading, just temporarily. The file still enters your system and sits there for a lil bit, and thus you've infringed copyright/data distribution laws.

Not neccessarily. Downloading is only defined as that when you have atleast a cached copy of something, streaming something 'normally' will not give this and well.. it's not possible to really tell whether you have a cache etc of something unless your computer is searched, website records etc won't show it. P2P streaming will probably be illegal though.
Reply 69
Original post by Tommyjw
Not neccessarily. Downloading is only defined as that when you have atleast a cached copy of something, streaming something 'normally' will not give this and well.. it's not possible to really tell whether you have a cache etc of something unless your computer is searched, website records etc won't show it. P2P streaming will probably be illegal though.

All files enter your cache/temporary files for however long. If it ain't on the system, how are you viewing it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 70
Legal or not they won't do anything about it.
Reply 71
Original post by Blazara
All files enter your cache/temporary files for however long. If it ain't on the system, how are you viewing it?

Except that isn't downloaded., you cannot then view the film directly from those files.

If you are so sure it's illegal, find the law on it.
Reply 72
Original post by Tommyjw
Except that isn't downloaded., you cannot then view the film directly from those files.

If you are so sure it's illegal, find the law on it.

Tell me, how are you viewing this website? The issue isn't whether you can independently view the files - they are downloaded onto your system. Regardless of the timeframe of this. By doing so, you are breaking copyright law by being in possession of something protected by copyright without permission.

Section 7 - http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

'Copying the work'. Guess what downloading is?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Blazara
Tell me, how are you viewing this website? The issue isn't whether you can independently view the files - they are downloaded onto your system. Regardless of the timeframe of this. By doing so, you are breaking copyright law by being in possession of something protected by copyright without permission.

No youa re not, and you are yet to prove it. Stop acting like it is fact when it is not.

The issue IS whether you can view the files, because that is the point. It's illegal once you have a copy downloaded, it's illegal once you start P2P etc etc because it is about distribution and handling. Not about streaming.

Section 7 - http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

'Copying the work'. Guess what downloading is?

/yawn.

Nothing about streaming, streaming is not downloading. They are different things.

Shall ask again, find me the law.
Reply 74
Original post by Tommyjw

/yawn.

Nothing about streaming, streaming is not downloading. They are different things.

Shall ask again, find me the law.

I can't understand how you can not have understood the most fundamental action of the internet. Every page, everything you look at is on your system. Even for only a second. When you stream, the data is on your machine. It has to be, else it can't play. I don't know how many times I have to iterate it, and it's not my fault if you don't understand how an internet browser/the internet works.

Once that is established, the law is there. You have downloaded it/placed it upon your system which counts as making a copy.

The entire debate is redundant because they don't look into it yet. It's realistically too difficult to ascertain, and certainly not worth it economically.
Reply 75
Streaming and downloading are different, other wise everytime you watch a video on youtube you are brekaing the law.
Reply 76
Original post by Blazara
I can't understand how you can not have understood the most fundamental action of the internet. Every page, everything you look at is on your system. Even for only a second. When you stream, the data is on your machine. It has to be, else it can't play. I don't know how many times I have to iterate it, and it's not my fault if you don't understand how an internet browser/the internet works.

Stop reiterate the same pointless things.

This is not downloading. See what you are describing? IT IS NOT DOWNLOADING. THUS NOT COVERED BY THE LAW.

Still waiting on your factual evidence seem as you seem to set it is illegal =]
Reply 77
Original post by T.I.
Streaming and downloading are different, other wise everytime you watch a video on youtube you are brekaing the law.

Depends what you are watching. Most videos on youtube are there with permission from the copyright holder, so it's not illegal.
Reply 78
anyone know sites that stream in near enough HD? Or just in pretty damn good quality.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Psyk
Depends what you are watching. Most videos on youtube are there with permission from the copyright holder, so it's not illegal.

But the concept of watching something in the belief its legal is still there.

Therefor you can stream of any website as long as you say you thought it was legal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending