The Student Room Group

House just got burgled

How often do the burglars get caught? I got home about 40mins ago and my parents have been here for even longer but the police still haven't turned up. Our neighbour said sometimes it takes hours? Also, have people usually managed to get some of their stuff back?

Would be nice to hear other people's experiences with this as we're all feeling pretty crap atm and aren't really sure what to do while we wait.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did they just bang down the door?

Or did they enter through a vulnerable spot?

Hope they get caught, good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by tehforum
Did they just bang down the door?

Or did they enter through a vulnerable spot?

Hope they get caught, good luck!

There's some scratches where they tried to pick the lock on the front door and when that failed they just battered it open leaving a massive crack down the middle.
Ahh, I hope so too!
Reply 3
I was burgled last year in the night. They took a TV, my laptop, some other bits and a car and got in by breaking the window on a french door and unlocking it. The police got here pretty quickly but the only thing we ever got back was the car which my brother saw parked down a road on the way to school. Apparently it's common for burglars to steal a car to move the stuff and then abandon it. We had to claim for all the stuff on the insurance and have since fitted a burglar alarm and never leave key in doors or even downstairs at night.
Reply 4
Original post by lemony :)
How often do the burglars get caught? I got home about 40mins ago and my parents have been here for even longer but the police still haven't turned up. Our neighbour said sometimes it takes hours? Also, have people usually managed to get some of their stuff back?

Would be nice to hear other people's experiences with this as we're all feeling pretty crap atm and aren't really sure what to do while we wait.

Our house was burgled a few years ago. They caught the guy who did it, but it was too late to get our stuff back - most things were replaced through insurance. Make sure you haven't touched anything they might be able to get fingerprints from - they managed to get a few from my sisters desk where he'd taken the computer. Don't worry, I know its horrible imagining a stranger wandering around your house, but they'll more than likely catch the guy :smile:

Did he take anything particularly sentimental? We were lucky that it was just the computer and playstation and dvds and stuff - lucky my mums room is such a mess, he couldn't get to her jewelllery or anything :P Although he did take a suitcase to carry the loot away in... :evil:

I can't remember how long we were waiting - it was actually the paper boy who called the police when he found the broken window, before we got home. They'll be here soon, just sit tight :smile:
Thats terrible. I hope your okay! I havent personally been burgled but know people who have its such a terrible experience largely because its your personal space where you feel safe. This is only a minority in society and believe me what goes around comes around. :smile:
Reply 6
I think they only come immediately if the crims are still in the vicinity.
I've got some experience of this but I'll have to post later as I'm robbed for time
We were burgled a fortnight ago. They just kicked the front door in. The police turned up quickly, but closed the case pretty much immediately after they opened it, nothing they can do really.
Original post by twelve
Our house was burgled a few years ago. They caught the guy who did it, but it was too late to get our stuff back - most things were replaced through insurance. Make sure you haven't touched anything they might be able to get fingerprints from - they managed to get a few from my sisters desk where he'd taken the computer. Don't worry, I know its horrible imagining a stranger wandering around your house, but they'll more than likely catch the guy :smile:

Did he take anything particularly sentimental? We were lucky that it was just the computer and playstation and dvds and stuff - lucky my mums room is such a mess, he couldn't get to her jewelllery or anything :P Although he did take a suitcase to carry the loot away in... :evil:

I can't remember how long we were waiting - it was actually the paper boy who called the police when he found the broken window, before we got home. They'll be here soon, just sit tight :smile:

Love how you assume it was a male :P
2 days after I moved in with my friends into SALFORD of all places, some retard left the downstairs window open and some guy robbed us of a wii, purse, various bits and bobs. He was caught and the girl whose wii it was was promised compensation. It never turned up but yeah... Don't leave your windows open in Salford! :P
Reply 11
We were burgled a few years ago, right after my grandad had a heart attack and my mum's uncle died. And at Christmas time, no less. :sigh:

They took a lot of my mum's jewellery, including her engagement ring and her rings from her (deceased) mum. :mad: They also made off with a load of DVDs and a DVD player, and had the nerve to use our cushion covers as carriers!

The only good thing was, they actually stole a completely knackered DVD player that wouldn't work and wasn't any good to anyone, so we ended up getting a brilliant new one on the insurance.
Reply 12
Burglars don't get caught, It's rare, Very rare.

As for the old bill, You'd be lucky to see them even turn up to your house at all these days.
Sometimes it can take ages for the police to arrive sometimes they are quick. When I got burgled a couple of years ago now whilst at uni the police turned up within 5 minutes of me phoning and 15 minutes later had found them hiding in a nearby alley way along with the laptop they stole from my room. They forced entry by repeatedly kicking the door until the lock was ripped from the door frame. Despite catching them red handed they were never prosecuted though as the CPS decided there wasn't enough evidence to press charges despite them leaving matching shoe prints on my door plus being in possession of my laptop when caught.

However when a friend of mine was burgled the police didn't show up for nearly 8 hours as burglary is usually classified as a low priority crime. So it's very hit and miss as to how long it will take for the police to arrive.

Hope you get your stuff back though, in the mean time you should try to work out exactly what is missing and write it down along with a description of what it looks like. As you will probably need to contact the insurance company and report what's missing along with an approximate value of the items. Try not to disturb anything like door handles, opened drawers, tv stands, etc as they could have prints on them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
We got burgled a couple of years back. I can't remember how long it took the police to arrive but the forensic examiner didn't come untill the next day. They took our TVs, games consoles & games and laptops. Took my brother jar of 2ps but didn't spot the £200 in cash he had on his windowsill...

Someone tried to burgle the house again about a year later but i was home at the time. The police came pretty fast that time! We have an alarm system now since locks apparently arn't enough!

Unfortunately i think it's unlikely the person who robbed your house will be caught. But i hope they are.
Reply 15
I feel so terrible for those who got burgled. I hope you guys are okay, and I really wish that the scumbag(s) responsible get caught and justice is served. Shees man... I got mugged last year and they took my phone. Luckily, I was okay. It really is horrible and leaves you feeling so sad, and so scared...
Original post by fire2burn
Despite catching them red handed they were never prosecuted though as the CPS decided there wasn't enough evidence to press charges despite them leaving matching shoe prints on my door plus being in possession of my laptop when caught.

...WTF? :s-smilie: I don't understand.
Original post by lemony :)

My house has been burgled about 5 times over the years and no one was ever caught.
Original post by whyumadtho
...WTF? :s-smilie: I don't understand.

The police officer in charge of the case said it was common unfortunately. Despite having evidence, prosecutions for this type of crime are pretty rare except in the case of repeat offenders. If the CPS decides it's not worth prosecuting there's little the local police can do other than close the case and urge you to claim on the insurance for any losses.
It can take some time if you guys are not at risk and no hazards are present.... Youll be aight dont worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending