The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I believe this trade makes the Lakers the second best team in the league. (If it weren't for Kobe and Nash's ages, I would put them first) This year's finals, the Heat vs. the Lakers. (Perhaps the Heat can sign and experiment with Greg Oden?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3741
Original post by Xotol
Depends. If Lakers don't win, I think Dwight will leave for Mavs. Lakers are basically a team of pensioners now (Nash 38, Kobe 34, Pau 32, Jamieson 36) and it really does seem like championship or bust soon.

All Dallas really have is Dirk though and he is just as old, Atlanta will be in play too next summer but it is a pretty good gig chilling in Hollywood playing for the Lakers I would imagine
Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Howard reminds me a bit of Kobe, Payton, Malone, O'Neal, and we all know how that went...
Jodie Meeks signed two year deal with Lakers for 3 million.

PG: Steve Nash + Chris Duhon + Steve Blake
SG: Kobe Bryant + Jodie Meeks
SF: Metta World Peace, Devin Ebanks
PF: Pau Gasol, Antawn Jamison
C: Dwight Howard, Jordan Hill

Bench issues = met
PG issue = met
Howard trade = done
Improving 3 point shooting = met
Improve athletisism = met
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3744
Original post by Ridingmyego

Bench issues = met
PG issue = met
Howard trade = done

Where did the team chemistry go then?
Reply 3745

Bench issues = met
PG issue = met
Howard trade = done

Just one problem...

Original post by S-man10
Where did the team chemistry go then?

Chemistry can be built as the year goes on. If they get to the finals and lose then hopefully Howard will resign and try again to win next year.
Original post by alexsong
Just one problem...

I completely agree :') I really wanted Brian Shaw ;(

However, Duhon, Meeks, Bryant, World Peace, and Howard should fit better than last years roster with Brown's defensive mentality.
Reply 3748
Chemistry can be built as the year goes on. If they get to the finals and lose then hopefully Howard will resign and try again to win next year.

Run and gun Nash and iso Kobe wont really mix tbh
Original post by S-man10
Run and gun Nash and iso Kobe wont really mix tbh

Pick and roll Nash with Gasol AND Howard will mix a treat.
Kobe will still get his iso's, but far less than last year.
Plus Kobe wanted Nash in LA because of his style, he's not ignorant enough to disregard that just to play 1 on 1, he wants a break from carrying the load.
Reply 3750
Pick and roll Nash with Gasol AND Howard will mix a treat.
Kobe will still get his iso's, but far less than last year.
Plus Kobe wanted Nash in LA because of his style, he's not ignorant enough to disregard that just to play 1 on 1, he wants a break from carrying the load.

Kobe will pribably end up frustrated with far less touches. Nash is aging. Best another 2 years left in him.

I just cant see them getting past the well established thunder though. Durant, westbrook and Harden will be thunderising thr lakers. By the time lakers will have built up the chemistry to make nash and the bigs effective will be when nash's limbs have been retired
Reply 3751
i dont think kobe will have too much issue as long as lakers are a bone fide challenger and he gets his high points games here and there which he will
Original post by S-man10
Kobe will pribably end up frustrated with far less touches. Nash is aging. Best another 2 years left in him.

I just cant see them getting past the well established thunder though. Durant, westbrook and Harden will be thunderising thr lakers. By the time lakers will have built up the chemistry to make nash and the bigs effective will be when nash's limbs have been retired

He will probably get frustrated, but he cares about winning more than he cares about touches. 2 years is enough time to win another title.

The only thing the thunder have on their side is chemistry, the Lakers have now matched them in depth, and the Lakers starting five is morre threatening. The thunder are not a smart team, they're a young, jump shooting athletic team. The Lakers are filled with veterans who understand the game. Now that they have Nash, Meeks, Jamison, and Duhon to stretch the floor, Dwight can go to work.
Original post by BigFudamental
Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Howard reminds me a bit of Kobe, Payton, Malone, O'Neal, and we all know how that went...

Kobe said himself he had stuff to prove when he was 25, he has nothing to prove now at nearly 34. All we can do is hope his ego doesn't get in the way. At the latter stages of their career, Nash is proving to be better than what Payton was. Malone was 41 and averaged 13 and 8, whereas Gasol is 32 and averages 17 and 10. Dwight is stronger defensively than O'neal, and therefore will control the defensive side of things rather than the offensive side, his role is easily distinguished. Overall, I would say that this current team (with it's depth) beats the 2004 team.

I'm not saying there's no reason to be skeptical, I'm just saying there are differences as much as there are similarities between the two teams.

I hope and predict that the Lakers get to the finals.
Reply 3754
Reply 3755
Think the womens gold medal game might be worth watching tonight :holmes:
Original post by BigFudamental

Not really comparable. Kobe was rail thin and out of shape coming off his shoulder surgery, everyone on the team hated each other, and Malone got injured in the playoffs. Having said all that, they still almost managed to pull it all off.
Reply 3757
Probably Ginobili's last olympic game today

Original post by Lulzhammer
Not really comparable. Kobe was rail thin and out of shape coming off his shoulder surgery, everyone on the team hated each other, and Malone got injured in the playoffs. Having said all that, they still almost managed to pull it all off.

Not really comparable? The only difference I can see is Gasol/Malone, otherwise you have a Kobe, a geriatric superstar point guard and a prima donna center. You can't use injuries as a point of comparison now without knowing who will get injured next season (or stay injured, in Howard's case).
Please say we're all about for the gold medal game? I managed to get my shift covered for a couple of hours so I could watch it live :colone:

Latest