The Student Room Group

I know someone who's cheating the benefit system...

Scroll to see replies

No need for vigilantism. Let law enforcement officials handle enforcing the law on their own.
Original post by KlaireDelilah
-

I knew someone who was doing this a while ago. I didn't report him but he was found out. The benefits were taken away and he had to get a job. It's the best thing that could have happened to him - he is a changed person now. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.
I had neighbours who were cheating the system. Working cash in hand and claiming JSA and Housing benefit> I informed the council but they chose to ignore it!
And by the way, they were 'harder working' EU migrants who are soo good for our economy.
Original post by problemsolver
it's a fraction of a penny each. she clearly doesn't want to work, and there are plenty of others who want jobs, and there's a shortage of jobs. it might as well be someone who's happy on benefits who stays on benefits.

why are you all being so miserable?

and some crimes are worse than others. this is someone taking a fraction of a penny from you. It's hardly the same scale as leaving a murderer or rapist roaming the streets. No one got this excited over the thread on shop assistants who short-change, even those who said it is possible that they were doing it deliberately.

wow 3 new negs on this post and no new replies for me. If you negged, please explain. It might add to the thread a bit.
Reply 84
Original post by DrunkenMaster
I had neighbours who were cheating the system. Working cash in hand and claiming JSA and Housing benefit> I informed the council but they chose to ignore it!
And by the way, they were 'harder working' EU migrants who are soo good for our economy.

No, if they were taking benefits like that, they were not good for our economy..
Original post by yakuzakitty
Report her for benefit fraud.

She won't steal jobs, she'll most likely just get unemployment benefit, which is less money, but still free for her, essentially.

Easy - nobody's taking jobs, nobody's missing out on free money from the government. Everyone wins.

How much do you get for unemployment benefit, and how much for disability?

Whether unemployment benefit is more or less or the same, everyone doesn't win. The person getting reported gets less money if it's less, and each of the tax payers gives a fraction of a penny more money if it's more, and if it's the same nothing changes :tongue:

Plus aren't people on unemployment benefit encouraged to get jobs? Don't they call it Job Seeker's Allowance, or is that something else?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
No, if they were taking benefits like that, they were not good for our economy..

I'm pretty sure the authorities would have been quicker to act if they were British. Also they had a 5 year old kid who didnt speak any English at all. Another drain on resources as teachers would have to spend more time on him

Whether unemployment benefit is more or less, everyone doesn't win. The person getting reported gets less money if it's less, and each of the tax payers gives a fraction of a penny more money if it's more :tongue:

Plus aren't people on unemployment benefit encouraged to get jobs? Don't they call it Job Seeker's Allowance, or is that something else?

I'm not sure exactly, but I know it's definately less than disability benefit.

Well if she's been cheating the government, she should feel lucky to get any money out of them at all in my opinion.

Yeah it's Job Seeker's Allowance and they are encouraged to get jobs. They have to prove they're looking for work, and not just lazing about. But realistically, handing out CVs and nipping over to the job centre is all they look for, and if someone really has no desire to work, they can just hand out rubbish CVs or do terribly in interviews on purpose.
Original post by oli_G
I can't believe people are saying leave it.

Should we just let anyone commit a crime and just 'leave it'.

As others have posted there are lots of anonymous ways of reporting this anyway.

Not everyone believes in snitching.
Even if they agree totally with the law in question and think the person is doing wrong, they won't bring themselves to be the one who grasses it up.
Original post by Tommyjw
Should we not report rapists .. because that is small time compared to human trafficking?

Should we not report murders because that is small time compared to wars etc?

Should we not report when your hypothetical child gets beat up and mugged, because that is small time compared to bank robbery?

Should we not report every motorist we observe breaking the speed limit? Do you? And if not, why not? Do you apply your own rule to every situation?

Additionally, I don't think rape, murder, and child beating are really comparable to someone claiming a sickness benefit cheque on the side.
Reply 90
shop the bitch.
Original post by Tommyjw
Should we not report rapists .. because that is small time compared to human trafficking?

Should we not report murders because that is small time compared to wars etc?

Should we not report when your hypothetical child gets beat up and mugged, because that is small time compared to bank robbery?

Pretty sure I'd report them.., yes.
Reply 92
Original post by frankieboy
Should we not report every motorist we observe breaking the speed limit? Do you? And if not, why not? Do you apply your own rule to every situation?

Additionally, I don't think rape, murder, and child beating are really comparable to someone claiming a sickness benefit cheque on the side.

The act isn't comparable, but the ignoring of the small scale is.

Motorist isn't even comparable in that instance. as there is no 'mass offence' that should take priority over the smaller ones, like the larger operations and businesses over small claims fraud etc.
Reply 93
****ing snitch. You probably don't know the full situation, you may just perceive it to be a certain way.
Reply 94
there are worse things in the world to worry about.

is this really worth going behind a friends back?
Original post by fourskin
****ing snitch. You probably don't know the full situation, you may just perceive it to be a certain way.

Jesus.
Maybe read the whole thread before you throw in your half arsed opinion. Please.

I'll give you a quick run down, seeing as you can not be bothered to read.
Said woman is claiming on that fact that she has severe scoliosis. A terrible back condition that can only be cured by surgery.
I have spent the last year at the front of gigs with her.
If it's not been gigs, we've been stood in line for other events eg. book signings, my freshers fayre, CD signings, meet and greets...

She in no way, shape, or form has scoliosis. Let alone severe scoliosis.

So, this is the full story, you ****ing bitch (I can use profanities, too. Am I cool?!?!?!?).
Please, read the whole thread before posing.
<3 xoxoxox
I myself have double scoliosis. In other words my spine is slightly "s" shaped. But only mildly. It doesn't really get in the way of life apart from the odd back ache and headache.
I'm guessing what's maybe happened is she has it really mildly, has got it on record that she has it, is able to function normally on it (hence the gigs) but gets the benefit because she pretends it's worse than it is.

But don't forget - maybe she gets "flare ups" and what you don't see when you're not out at gigs with her is her lying on her bed unable to move. And then the rest of the time she's fine. It can be tricky.

For example - most of the time I'm ok and can go to gigs etc. - but if I get a bad back or migraine or something then that's me out of action for that day.
Reply 97
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
Does she have kids? think long and hard before reporting her. I personally would not do it.

if she has kids, she should be able to pay for them on her own! why should I have to pay for them! don't have kids if you cant afford them! report her :angry:
Reply 98

Whether unemployment benefit is more or less or the same, everyone doesn't win. The person getting reported gets less money if it's less, and each of the tax payers gives a fraction of a penny more money if it's more, and if it's the same nothing changes :tongue:

All they have to do is prove they are looking for a job. I have nothing againt people on benefits they deserve or if they are on JSA and are genuinely looking for a job. I can't understand why you defend what these people are doing. They might be taking a fraction but it all adds up. The money coud be spent on things which help improve our country instead of it being used in a way which takes the country down.
Original post by frankieboy
I myself have double scoliosis. In other words my spine is slightly "s" shaped. But only mildly. It doesn't really get in the way of life apart from the odd back ache and headache.
I'm guessing what's maybe happened is she has it really mildly, has got it on record that she has it, is able to function normally on it (hence the gigs) but gets the benefit because she pretends it's worse than it is.

But don't forget - maybe she gets "flare ups" and what you don't see when you're not out at gigs with her is her lying on her bed unable to move. And then the rest of the time she's fine. It can be tricky.

For example - most of the time I'm ok and can go to gigs etc. - but if I get a bad back or migraine or something then that's me out of action for that day.

I'm sorry to hear that, a family member of mine had just had double surgery in June to fix a severe case of DS. Her spine was literally S shaped..
I hope yours is manageable!

I understand that you get flare ups with any kind of disability, but I don't think that it's something to claim <25k a year for.
I myself have health issues, ones that 'flare up' often, but 'flair ups' do not need <£25k
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending