The Student Room Group

Bristol Vet school Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redonks
what do you actually do at langford during the preclinical years?

Sorry, not sure how I missed this! Better late than never though. In first year, Langford is predominantly used for teaching the Animal Management module. So this will be things like how to properly care for all the main species, housing, feeding, etc. You'll also have animal handling practicals for the main species (horses, cows and calves, sheep, dogs and cats) along with some other practicals that I don't really remember too well because it was 3 years ago now! The animal management unit continues into 2nd year, where you do exotics and the other farm species like pigs, poultry and anything else that isn't a cow or sheep. Also in 2nd year at Langford you'll start the Animal Disease 1 unit, which is mainly about the broad principles of disease and how the body responds to it, before you get down to the specifics in 3rd year.

Original post by Lucia12
How many work placements are you expected to do each year?

There isn't a set amount of placements per year that you're expected to do as such. Your EMS (what we call work experience whilst you're in vet school) is split into two categories: pre-clinical, also known as Animal Husbandry EMS (AHEMS), and clinical EMS. You're required to do 12 weeks of pre clinical EMS over the first two years - it must be completed and signed off before you're allowed to start 3rd year! They specify how much you need to do in each species (2 weeks lambing, 2 weeks dairy, 2 weeks equine, etc) but apart from lambing, which must be done over 1st year Easter unless you have a very good reason, they don't mind when you do it. You can blitz through most of it in 1st year summer, or do what I did and leave most of it until 2nd year summer (would not recommend!). A note on the Easter lambing placement - because Easter is so late next year, the vet school will actually be moving the Easter holiday for the 1st years so that you can go lambing. So don't book any holidays or such according to the term dates on the university website because they'll be wrong!

Then in your 3rd-5th year, you do your clinical EMS. This is 26 weeks, but again can be spread out in whatever which way you like. They recommend doing 10 weeks over 3rd year (easter and summer), so that you can have at least some time off in 5th year. Also unlike pre-clinical, the university doesn't stipulate that you have to do a certain amount in each species, it's entirely up to you. So for example I'm only doing a small amount of equine, because I have very little intention of going into equine work after graduation, but I'm doing a fair amount of farm work.
Can I ask a query on behalf of my daughter as she has an offer from Bristol.
How long are the holidays?
Is it possible to have a job in the holidays for the first 3 years?
As my daughter has been offered the same job that she is currently employed in on a gap year.
She likes the job and the organisation really like her. But I don’t think they realise that she won’t be available during all student holidays.
It’s tourism related and their peak season is summer and Easter and I guess Christmas school holidays. Just how much longer are the Vet school holidays? And is it possible to tie in the work experience outside of the uk school holidays? Or is she better off not even trying?
Many thanks.
Not an answer specific to Bristol, but I suspect that may be quite hard to achieve! The term dates vary slightly at each university but remember she will have to do 38 weeks of extra mural studies throughout the course (12 weeks in the holidays of the first 2 years and 26 weeks throughout the final 3). In the first Easter break she will be lambing, so that will take up that period of time; Christmas will also be revising for January exams. There's a theoretical possibility of some 'free' weeks over summer after exams and once the EMS has been done, but it wouldn't be easy to commit to any specific blocks of time well in advance especially because it would be eating into what would become valuable rest time, too. The core term dates for Bristol for next year are here: http://www.bris.ac.uk/university/dates/
Rabbitswhiskers thank you.That’s incredibly useful information. I wasn’t aware that the Christmas and Easter holidays are quite so short and Ems quite so long. Yes, I can see that everyone would want to do well in their first set of exams in January. Coupled with Ems at Easter it looks pretty impossible to work as well.
I think my daughters going to approach her employers and see whether there’s an absolute minimum she can work and still be retained. The problem is having learned she likes earning money and is good at her job, it’s very difficult to relinquish it!
Hello! I don't know if this is the right place for this question -- it's about work experience requirements for Bristol vet school applications.

I am from France and have just two weeks at two different vet clinics behind me -- one LA and one SA.

I am about to submit my application for Bristol and two other universities.

Bristol states that it will accept forthcoming work experience placements to top up my two weeks already done -- so if I can line up another two weeks at a stables and a rescue kennels for instance, would my application be considered?

Thanks if anyone can advise,
Original post by Frenchchap
Hello! I don't know if this is the right place for this question -- it's about work experience requirements for Bristol vet school applications.

I am from France and have just two weeks at two different vet clinics behind me -- one LA and one SA.

I am about to submit my application for Bristol and two other universities.

Bristol states that it will accept forthcoming work experience placements to top up my two weeks already done -- so if I can line up another two weeks at a stables and a rescue kennels for instance, would my application be considered?

Thanks if anyone can advise,

I would email or call Bristol admissions department (the email is on their website) and ask them. There’s no harm in asking and you’ll get a definite answer that way.
Hi,

Is anyone able to help with some clarification please? I have applied for the 4 year graduate entry programme at bristol and was under the impression that all 4 years were taught at the Langford campus, but after reading a few things online it seems as though lectures may be splt between Langford campus and the main campus in Bristol City Centre?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending