The Student Room Group

What to get my girlfriend's parents?

I think my girlfriend's parents are going to get me a present, so I'm going to return the favour, but I'm a bit stuck on what to get them.

There's the mum, dad and her younger sister. I want to get them something as a collective, but it's hard finding stuff that all three would like! I'm gonna get them a cookbook, as it's more unique than chocolate or candles(I'm not a fan of cliche presents), and I think they'll enjoy it.
But I don't know what else to get them. I was thinking a calendar, but I don't want them to feel obligated to put it up even if they don't like it(is this a silly thought?)
So do you guys have any ideas for a generic yet good family present? Help is appreciated :smile:
In all honesty chocolate is a cliché for a reason. You can't go wrong. How long have you been with your girlfriend?
A cookbook is a good idea. I like doing themed things at Christmas, so if you buy them a cookbook, maybe get some ingredients to go with it, for example. John Lewis have a huge range of different Christmas foods; I noticed they had a lovely box of mixed nuts and dried fruits when I was in there the other day, which I think would be a nice change to the endless amounts of boxes of Milk Tray they'll probably receive. Or, again John Lewis do Nando's/mexican food/italian food/dessert gift sets which might be a nice accompaniment to your cookbook.

On the cookbook front, I bought one as a Christmas present for a friend in Holland the other day - Mrs Beeton's Traditional British cooking. It had some bloody delicious (and some Christmassy) things in it, if you're looking for ideas.
Reply 3
My brother's old girlfriend made a gift basket filled with lots of treats and different things for the whole family. I thought it was a good idea.

Edit; it was a hamper with a christmas movie and a whole bunch of christmas treats, fancy hot chocolates, gatorades, popcorn ect. Great idea for a family fun night!
(edited 12 years ago)
Bronzed baby boots :sly:
Chocolate and wine are always good.

One year I did a cheese hamper. Went down very well :smile: filled it with all sorts of cheese, chutney's, a cheese slice and some port and mulled wine, so maybe a hamper of goodies would be a nice touch :h:

That was the only year I could afford anything for them before I became a poor uni student :p:

Edit: What about a selection of retro sweets? That's different :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rob da Mop
In all honesty chocolate is a cliché for a reason. You can't go wrong. How long have you been with your girlfriend?

You can. For a start, not everyone likes the chocolate you buy them - rather than going for the generic bar of Dairy Milk, which the majority of people like, people tend to choose strange things that only a small % of people will like. Also, chocolate is so unimaginative, it's untrue. And thirdly, you get to the point where you have so many sweets and chocolate at Christmas, that the enjoyment of eating it fades away after your 4th selection box....
Reply 7
As someone mentioned above, a hamper would be a good idea; you can include chocolate, a cheap bottle of wine, just all-rounder presents that they can split between them. Or maybe a DVD you think they might like?
Reply 8

Almost a year, but we are in an LDR so I want to get something good seeing though I've stayed there a lot since we've been together, as a thanks as well as a Christmas present. Seeing as though we are in LDR, I don't think a hamper will be a good idea seeing as though I'm not sure how I'll get it there :P thanks though guys.
And the reason I don't like clichés is 'cos they are too easy, they require no thought whatsoever.

http://www.hawkin.com/20670-16621-PRESENTS_UNUSUAL_WOMEN/unusual-presents/unusual-presents-for-women/cupcake-mug
I think this is pretty cool, but is it too quirky and random? (My girlfriend's parents aren't that quirky and random XD)

EDIT: And also, I'm not that close to her family(especially her dad) which makes it bit more difficult...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Board game/jigsaw - good or bad idea?
(edited 12 years ago)
Bad, they always end in arguements :p:
Original post by JagSan

Original post by JagSan
Board game/jigsaw - good or bad idea?

Only good if you know they actually like that sort of thing.

How about a coffee table book of a subject that they are interested in?
Reply 12
Original post by Origami Bullets

Only good if you know they actually like that sort of thing.

How about a coffee table book of a subject that they are interested in?

That's a good idea, but I'm not sure what they'd like >.<
Like I said, I'm not incredibly close to them.
Original post by JagSan

Original post by JagSan
That's a good idea, but I'm not sure what they'd like &gt;.&lt;
Like I said, I'm not incredibly close to them.

Can't you ask your girlfriend?
Reply 14

Can't you ask your girlfriend?

Well I want to surprise her too, because I know if I tell her, she'll just say I shouldn't get anything. I'm so difficult XD
Original post by JagSan

Original post by JagSan
I'm so difficult XD

Can't really disagree on this one! :tongue:

Do you think they like animals at all? My gran is getting a very nice coffee table book called Monkey Portraits by Jill Greenburg for Xmas. There's also a bear one. They're basically just books of some really nice studio portraits of monkeys / bears.
Reply 16

Can't really disagree on this one! :tongue:

Do you think they like animals at all? My gran is getting a very nice coffee table book called Monkey Portraits by Jill Greenburg for Xmas. There's also a bear one. They're basically just books of some really nice studio portraits of monkeys / bears.

They have a dog so I could get them something dog-related. I'm not sure about other animals, but I don't think they hate them.
Reply 17
I got them a cookbook and a calendar, I hope they like them! I guess this can be closed now, thanks for your help guys :biggrin:
Reply 18
DVDs are always good, suitable for the whole family and universally ideal. you have more choice and can even get a couple of different types of film for the parents and the younger sister, Best Buy has 50% off DVDs, so i got some for my sis! good luck!
Reply 19
my boyfriend didnt know what to get my mum this year
his solution:
here's £10 - go get your mum something she'd like so i don't get her something she doesn't like by accident

from his point of view its brilliant - minimum effort (he doesnt have to do anything except pull a tenner out his pocker) maximum result (mum'll end up with something she likes)

Latest

Trending

Trending