The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did she report these issues before or during her exams?
Reply 2
Can she not ask to repeat the year?
Reply 3
There is a good thread on this subject in the current medical students forum
Reply 4
Reply 5
Original post by Lish88
Well she did ask but they've said no.. She even took the case to solicitors who told us she'd only have a 40% chance of getting in.. That case wasn't successful.. She's tried really really hard and she is A* student! Just the last year didnt go so well :frown: x

What was her performance like during the 1st 4 years? Did they not even take that into account?
Reply 6
Original post by Lish88
Well she did ask but they've said no.. She even took the case to solicitors who told us she'd only have a 40% chance of getting in.. That case wasn't successful.. She's tried really really hard and she is A* student! Just the last year didnt go so well :frown: x

Perhaps if all else fails she could re-apply to another university where they might let her start on 3rd year or something, if she got good grades on her previous years at university.

If she can't get through with the current uni she should try contacting other unis.
Reply 7
Original post by Lish88
I'm not sure to be honest but they didnt accept her.. She was at the University of Leicester; but i'm just wondering if they didnt accept her will she able to retake teh final year at a different uni? Is that possible? x

She won't be able to retake just the final year, as they will have done different placements and have covered different things in the clinical school curriculum. She MIGHT be able to redo clinical either there or elsewhere.

However, they don't take these decisions lightly; failing someone at the final hurdle is a big deal, especially if they've refused to allow any kind of resits. Her best chance is to be going through all the official paths, getting the student union/academic support people on her side.
Reply 8
I always thought universities did pretty much whatever they could to make sure people got through 5th year, and if not, were pretty generous with allowing retakes of the year.
Reply 9
Original post by Ciaran88
I always thought universities did pretty much whatever they could to make sure people got through 5th year, and if not, were pretty generous with allowing retakes of the year.

I also thought this. Since they (and the government) has already invested over 200,000 pounds for this student, I am really surprised that they are being so strict at the final step. Although, I should mention that for her appeal to go through she would've needed some ridiculous extenuating circumstances to rationalize the fail.
Reply 10
Original post by .eXe
I also thought this. Since they (and the government) has already invested over 200,000 pounds for this student, I am really surprised that they are being so strict at the final step. Although, I should mention that for her appeal to go through she would've needed some ridiculous extenuating circumstances to rationalize the fail.

The final step involves unleashing a newly minted doctor onto the world. The examiners have at the back of their minds that this newbie could end up looking after their family, money aside, they need to be safe. There is already a mortality spike in August. Nobody owes you a degree...Puts the whole complaining thing into perspective. I'm not surprised at all.

In fact, I think thats one of the criteria to pass the MRCP...
Reply 11
Original post by Wangers
The final step involves unleashing a newly minted doctor onto the world. The examiners have at the back of their minds that this newbie could end up looking after their family, money aside, they need to be safe. There is already a mortality spike in August. Nobody owes you a degree...Puts the whole complaining thing into perspective. I'm not surprised at all.

Hmm well, I can't speak for my medical school but I know that at Nottingham and at Trinity College Dublin, they are desperate to get you out of the door. If you've passed 4 years of medicine then you are clearly a capable medical student that should graduate, if you fail year 5 it's not because you're not up to scratch, nobody "plateaus" at year 5, it's usually because of ECs or just bad circumstances as OP mentions.

Hundreds of thousands of pounds of NHS money plus 5 years of the students' time and the university's time don't seem worth throwing away because of bad circumstances.

At Trinity they round up all the people who don't pass 5th year for academic reasons and give them intensive remediation then push them through the exam again and few if any fail that. Trinity College is not known for being a lenient university in any shape or form so I would be surprised and a bit concerned if other medschools weren't the same..
Reply 12
Original post by Wangers

What is?
Original post by nosaer
What is?

Would you trust this person to treat one of your family members.
Original post by Ciaran88
Hmm well, I can't speak for my medical school but I know that at Nottingham and at Trinity College Dublin, they are desperate to get you out of the door. If you've passed 4 years of medicine then you are clearly a capable medical student that should graduate, if you fail year 5 it's not because you're not up to scratch, nobody "plateaus" at year 5, it's usually because of ECs or just bad circumstances as OP mentions.

Hundreds of thousands of pounds of NHS money plus 5 years of the students' time and the university's time don't seem worth throwing away because of bad circumstances.

At Trinity they round up all the people who don't pass 5th year for academic reasons and give them intensive remediation then push them through the exam again and few if any fail that. Trinity College is not known for being a lenient university in any shape or form so I would be surprised and a bit concerned if other medschools weren't the same..

This all makes perfect sense and on a fundamental level I agree with all of it. The intensive remediation is also an excellent idea, and should be implemented at all medical schools across the country! (as opposed to the students who can afford to pay £300 for Dr Clarke courses...):s-smilie:

However, unfortunately the failure rate in medicine is always one that causes a lot of controversy, in that 2-3% of the year seem to fall at the final hurdle and graduate with a BMedSci instead of an MBChB, the former of which is effectively useless (especially at Warwick where everyone has a prior degree). I've never understood why this is the case.

I do get that this graduating doctor could potentially be responsible for the life of one of your closest family members, but I'd think we take that risk when we bring our relatives into hospital in the first place, especially when they're a new admission on A&E! I mean, I definetely know some people who I'd be a bit reluctant to take my family to see if it came down to me. Especially if they had to see someone with my own current level of knowledge...:confused:
Original post by graemematt
However, unfortunately the failure rate in medicine is always one that causes a lot of controversy, in that 2-3% of the year seem to fall at the final hurdle and graduate with a BMedSci instead of an MBChB, the former of which is effectively useless (especially at Warwick where everyone has a prior degree). I've never understood why this is the case.

Would you suggest that instead they graduate with an MBChB, but with no right to practice? Kind of in a similar vein to normal degree students graduating with a non-honours BSc?
Reply 16
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Would you trust this person to treat one of your family members.

Did you mean to quote me, as I can't see how your reply is relevant to my question? :s-smilie:

What's the criteria needed to pass MRCP that he's talking about?
Original post by nosaer
Did you mean to quote me, as I can't see how your reply is relevant to my question? :s-smilie:

What's the criteria needed to pass MRCP that he's talking about?

I did - what I believe he's saying is that the criteria the examiners of the practical part of the MRCP use is to ask themselves whether they would trust the candidate to treat one of their family members.
Reply 18
I did - what I believe he's saying is that the criteria the examiners of the practical part of the MRCP use is to ask themselves whether they would trust the candidate to treat one of their family members.

I see - I thought he meant passing finals was a criteria for passing MRCP, which I thought was a bit obvious. Cool.
Would you suggest that instead they graduate with an MBChB, but with no right to practice? Kind of in a similar vein to normal degree students graduating with a non-honours BSc?

Interesting thought...I honestly dont know :smile: I guess maybe the only downside to that would be that it would essentially be as useless as the BMedSci, potentially even more so as the primary use of it would not longer be available. Uh...no idea? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending