The Student Room Group

Present for boyfriend's parents?

I've been seeing my boyfriend since early June and I've seen a lot of people on here talk about what they're buying their SO's parents for Christmas.

I wouldn't want to come off as pushy or weird to them, but they have been very nice to me and let me stay the night a lot this year, given me lifts to places and such.

I don't know them very well as individual people to really be able to buy something they'd love, but I was considering making them some truffles or something? Put them in a nice glass jar with ribbon as a little thank you.

How long is it appropriate to be with a partner before you consider buying their parents presents?
Reply 1
Your boyfriend probably knows his parents better than us-I would ask him 1) If he wants you to and 2) What you would get.
Reply 2
Just get them something generic (safe option) and small so that it doesn't seem too weird as you don't know them well but to show you appreciation :yep:
Reply 3
Last year I just bought them a really nice bottle of wine (a £20 one, did get it half price though) and some chocolates.

This year I've got them a selection of jams and chutneys, all in a lovely present gift set, and I'll get them wine and chocolates again.

It really depends on what they like though - my SO's parents are quite a bit older than mine, and seem much more consevative in their tastes. Can't go wrong with wine, maybe a christmassy flower arrangement, and chocolate though. I'd definitely get them something though, whether your BF thinks its a good idea or not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I feel terrible coz I've never gotten them anything - but they always get me stuff! I often try to buy them wine/chocolate but the BF always says not to since they have a house full of the stuff at Christmas. I'm deffo going to make an effort this year though - but I currently have no ideas :frown:
Walk into their living room with a beach ball under your shirt
Reply 6
I think making truffles is a great idea. I made these ones for my sister a couple of years ago - they're very easy to make and they taste awesome. :yep:
Reply 7
Grandchildren. You have exactly fifteen days.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I would certainly appreciate homemade truffles. A friend of mine gave me some last year in a nice resealable jar (you can get them in Sainsburys for £4). I wouldn't want my son's girlfriend to waste lots of money on me, and I have plenty of wine etc in - I think that the homemade option is really thoughtful.
Reply 9
Food is a good idea

Homemade truffles sounds great (well I do not like truffles but most people do)

Something from M&S in a fancy box or jar
Home made truffles + flowers would be a great idea
Reply 11
Your truffle idea sounds lovely. Maybe with a bottle of wine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending