The Student Room Group

Which city for uni in Scotland?

Hey!

Planning on studying Economics in Scotland!

Thinking about like studying in one of the more "larger/funner cities" which are Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen I guess,

Just have heard that Glasgow is really dangerous and Aberdeen is really boring,

Are both these statements correct?

Anybody got any other hints for me?

Thanks!

PS. If ya got any questions pls ask here
Edinburgh. Very respected uni, lovely city, decent public transport.
I'd say Aberdeen is less boring than Dundee tbh? Dundee's pretty dull!
Glasgow has some dangerous areas but so does everywhere.
But as an Edinburgh Boy, I'm going to say Edinburgh!
Aberdeen isn't what i'd describe as a big city. tbh there are no boring student cities, aberdeen might be small but from what i've heard it's good fun.
Glasgow does have some rough parts, but so does any big city, don't let it discourage you, it's a great uni.
Glasgow is dangerous...but not when you're a student. You'll only be in West End, City Centre and at a stretch Merchant City...you'll be fine :yep:

Personally I like Glasgow more than Edinburgh (better and cheaper night life, better shopping, better music scene), but I know people who like Edinburgh more than Glasgow...you kinda need to visit and see which suits you more.
Reply 4
OP is so ignorant. Everywhere is dangerous/ has bad parts. Look at London - it has some of the best unis in the world but 90pc of it is ****. Same goes for Oxford, Cambridge etc etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Edinburgh is the best city in Scotland.
Reply 6
Glasgow! It's the biggest city, cheaper than Edinburgh, and with great nightlife! Plus the university is in the west end which is very cool. I've never had any trouble in Glasgow, and I go through what are the stereotypical "rough" areas quite alot!

Also, the university is the double of Hogwarts! :tongue:
Reply 7
As an Edinburgh boy, it has to be Auld Reekie.
Reply 8
i live in Glasgow and some of my family lives in the roughest areas and have never came into trouble. the city centre is fine and as a student i can guarantee thats where you'll be. you probably wont even see the rough areas unless you went out your way to go there. To be honest i dont think Glasgow lives up to its dangerous reputation. dont let it put you off, i cant put into words how gutted i am i dont have the grades to stay in Glasgow!. its an amazing city with the best nightlife and atmosphere you'll get in scotland.
Reply 9
I live near Edinburgh so visit a lot, it's awesome. Been to Dundee once but it is my first choice, doesn't seem too boring, only seen that one shopping centre around Abertay though.
Reply 10
I'm an American applying for Dundee, hope its good.

But about Glasgow being rough. I was there last summer and walked basically everywhere in the city, including the rough parts, so I was told. I did not realize I was in the rough parts. Compared to the shady areas in American cities it was a walk in the park.
Reply 11
You need to visit places to see what suits you best, but from your list I'd narrow it down to Edinburgh and Glasgow (I did). And then I'd pick Glasgow (I did). For all the reasons people have already said.
Original post by KCosmo
Glasgow! It's the biggest city, cheaper than Edinburgh, and with great nightlife! Plus the university is in the west end which is very cool. I've never had any trouble in Glasgow, and I go through what are the stereotypical "rough" areas quite alot!

Also, the university is the double of Hogwarts! :tongue:

There are 3 universities in Glasgow.
Two of which are not in the West End.

OP Glasgow is not dangerous if you stay in studenty areas and do studenty things.
If you are like me however and buy a flat and get a job towards the east end you may run into some unfriendly characters, however the lovely people you will meet and friends you will make will far outnumber the undesirable people you may encounter.
Reply 13
Personally I'd go for Edinburgh. Great city. You won't get bored. I mean I'll admit it isn't as big as Glasgow, but as Scotland's capital it does have a lot of stuff going on and a great university.

Quick Reply

Latest