The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Entrance Scholarship

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InPlainSight
So many InterPol people!

It is Freshers week. But I think Term does officially start then. Freshers isn't all partying you have to do boring stuff like register and have intro lectures. :wink: Depends on the department what you have though, I think.

Ok thank you look forward to it :smile:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 121
Original post by Aek-94
Ah cool. You're on my course too I think... Political Studies, right? :^_^:

yeah :biggrin:
really enjoyed the department on the visiting day
Original post by connoryay
yeah :biggrin:
really enjoyed the department on the visiting day

It's a great department, oldest in the world I believe. :smile:

I'm beginning to wonder though whether Aber can take the unconditional away, if I don't do particularly well in my A Levels. Although, surely if UCAS says, "Congratulations, your place at Aberystwyth University to study Political Studies has been confirmed", they can't take it away from me. :s-smilie:
Reply 123
hi, did you merit thing kick in (your offer change to unconditional) after you'd sent the acceptance letter or before?
Original post by hibbe
hi, did you merit thing kick in (your offer change to unconditional) after you'd sent the acceptance letter or before?

I emailed Aber to say that I accepted the Merit Award, and after that once Aber replied back to me, my offer changed from a conditional to an unconditional. The email address being [email protected] :smile:
Original post by hibbe

I firmed it on UCAS and it updated a day later :smile:
Has anybody's status changed too 'Your place has been accepted...' yet?
Yup. My UCAS says, "Congratulations your place at Aberystwyth University (A40) to study Political Studies (L200) has been confirmed!". :smile:

If you don't email or write back to Aber accepting the Merit Award then they won't confirm your place. :smile:
Is it possible to change course after you got an unconditional offer?
Reply 129
Hey this thread is for anyone who participated in the Aberystwyth Entrance Scholarship Exams in February 2012, and were successful in gaining either a scholarship or merit award which comes with an unconditional offer!

I personally have been awarded a merit award for my efforts and have accepted the unconditional offer from them via UCAS. I am so excited I'm actually in on a course!

Of course if you were unsuccessful you can still post your thoughts :smile:

Just wondering everyones views, if people will accept them, what exams you took and how you reacted to the good/bad news.

I took: Biology One: Molecules to Organs and English and Creative Writing
Well done!!

I too got a Merit award after taking the exams in physical and human geography!

Still now when i think that i got through i find myself smiling and almost can't believe it. I hadn't done as good as expected in a geography exam a week earlier and was a bit upset about it as I am normally really good a geography (hence doing it at uni) so really though I hadn't passed, but it turns out I did so i now personally feel i was right to concentrate on the entrance exams more!

It was one of the best moments so far this year when I found out and I can't wait to start, its good the thought of not having to stress in the summer whether you got the grades to get in or not and the exams will now be less stressful as it won't be so bad if i get a little lower than what I want :smile:
Reply 131
i did physical geography and politics for the exams, and i got a merit award. firmed aber for political studies, can't wait! ^_^

well done you 2 as well! ^
So happy to make it! :biggrin:
Can't wait to go to Aber, that Unconditional staring at me in the face is just so ARAGHAGHASGH *drools*
Congrats to everyone above! :smile:

I got a Merit Award too, after doing the British Isles History paper and the Politics paper.

I'm chuffed I got the award, because ever since the departmental visting day, back on the 3rd March, I was beginning to really doubt whether I'd get get anything. Now I have though I'm made up! Although I have to say, now I have it, I've started to become a bit lazy over coursework because I know that I won't help me get into uni anymore. I'll have to stop this though, because I'm worried about whether Aber might take my Merit Award away from me, if it looks like I've not bothered in my A Levels...

Also, my headteacher has 'misplaced' my actual percentage results from my two papers. :unimpressed:
Reply 134
Yeah it feels like a great weight has been lifted like there is now no pressure to get into university! August results will just be 'whatever' but there is a danger of us slacking and lets be honest we all probably will :s but no one can say you 'cheated the system' we all worked hard and got our merits. There were only like 250 merits available and like 3000 odd people sat the exam so we should all be very proud of ourselves.

By the way I'm from Shrewsbury Sixth Form College! (why i chose aberystwyth as im a country lad at heart and the city universities don't appeal to me)
Original post by mothsa
Yeah it feels like a great weight has been lifted like there is now no pressure to get into university! August results will just be 'whatever' but there is a danger of us slacking and lets be honest we all probably will :s but no one can say you 'cheated the system' we all worked hard and got our merits. There were only like 250 merits available and like 3000 odd people sat the exam so we should all be very proud of ourselves.

Between 1,100 - 1,200 people took the exams this year.

I haven't told my teachers about the Merit Award yet, but I'm planning to this week. I can't wait to see the look on their faces when they realise that they can't use the "you must do this to get into university" excuse on me anymore.

By the way I'm from Shrewsbury Sixth Form College! (why i chose Aberystwyth as im a country lad at heart and the city universities don't appeal to me)

I'm from Liverpool, but want to get away from the city for a while. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 136
Original post by mothsa
By the way I'm from Shrewsbury Sixth Form College! (why i chose aberystwyth as im a country lad at heart and the city universities don't appeal to me)

Im at SSFC too and i also got a merit award
(edited 12 years ago)
We should host a celebration party!
I've just confirmed that I'd like to start in September! (on the Aber website, from a confirmation email) :woo:
Original post by Aek-94
I've just confirmed that I'd like to start in September! (on the Aber website, from a confirmation email) :woo:

I did the same earlier today :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest