The Student Room Group

getting on with the mother in law / bfs mum

I've found that my male best friends (who i've been out with, bu we were 13/14 so nothing serious) and my current boyfriends mums both really like me. Neither of their mums have had girls, so maybe they always wanted one so treat me like the daughter they never had ?????

I went to the prom with my male best friend ( we had noone else to go with and it was before I met my boyfriend) and his mum loved painting my nails and making my hair look all nice etc etc.

And my boyfriends mum hasn't got a natural daughter, only a step daughter. She loves me to bits and spoils me, often more than my boyfriend!

Does anyone else get on with their mother in law/ partners mum?
I get on well with my bf's Mum, I get on with his whole family tbh. They're really welcoming and was from the start (despite me not making the best 1st impression!)
Reply 2
Original post by sarahthegemini
I get on well with my bf's Mum, I get on with his whole family tbh. They're really welcoming and was from the start (despite me not making the best 1st impression!)

You guys must be serious then!
Original post by RainPours
You guys must be serious then!

Yep :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah I supose all of both our families like us both. My brothers getting married next year and even though it's going to be a small thing and he's only met my boyfriend 3 or 4 times, he's got an invite to the wedding.
Reply 5
Original post by Nix-j-c
Does anyone else get on with their mother in law/ partners mum?

1st boyfriend's mum liked me at first, but then ended up hating me..
2nd loved me but she was always working so I rarely saw her..
3rd adored me, kept going on about me "joining the family"..
4th didn't see much, but loved me too.

I don't know why I usually get on with them to be honest, especially as I tend to think I come across a bit shy/quiet and awkward.. Luckily though, that means that they end up thinking I am a nice girl who is looking after their son.. Haha, poor naïve ladies :colone:
I get on with my boyfriend's mother really well - she's just so lovely! I think I probably get along with her better than I get on with my own parents o.O

My parents are funny about my boyfriend - I think they think he's nice enough but it's because i'm dating him that they're a bit odd :/ If he was just my friend, I think they would think he's wonderful...
Reply 7
Original post by alawhisp

I don't know why I usually get on with them to be honest, especially as I tend to think I come across a bit shy/quiet and awkward.. Luckily though, that means that they end up thinking I am a nice girl who is looking after their son.. Haha, poor naïve ladies :colone:

I'm quite shy but I come out of my shell when you get to know me.

Although his mum is a catholic and even though she knows my boyfriend's an atheist I don't think she'd like me anymore if she knew what we get up to :sexface: but because i'm so shy and nice she probably thinks we haven't.
Reply 8
Original post by Nix-j-c
I'm quite shy but I come out of my shell when you get to know me.

Aye I'm fairly similar.. More quiet than shy though, I just prefer to get the measure of a person prior to opening up. I'm acutely aware of what is appropriate around a partner's parent though, and modify my behaviour accordingly.. Can't say my exes have always behaved around mine, but such is life :tongue: And for what it's worth.. My parents only liked ex#2.

Original post by Nix-j-c
Although his mum is a catholic and even though she knows my boyfriend's an atheist I don't think she'd like me anymore if she knew what we get up to :sexface: but because i'm so shy and nice she probably thinks we haven't.

I imagine that's a less awkward perception than some that I've been landed with.. First lad's mum was Catholic, and I wasn't a particularly subtle lass back then. Say no more! :biggrin:
1st boyfriend's mum liked me at first, but then ended up hating me..
2nd loved me but she was always working so I rarely saw her..
3rd adored me, kept going on about me "joining the family"..
4th didn't see much, but loved me too.

That's really interesting, one of my ex's mums said to me, 'thank G-d your not quiet like the last one!' I think my ex's mums have always liked that I'm quite chatty because it relaxes them, so then they open up more, and I open up more and we get to know eachother really well.
Reply 10
Original post by xfirekittyx
That's really interesting, one of my ex's mums said to me, 'thank G-d your not quiet like the last one!' I think my ex's mums have always liked that I'm quite chatty because it relaxes them, so then they open up more, and I open up more and we get to know eachother really well.

Well they were all chatty enough for the both of us to be honest, bombarding me with questions at all times, didn't have much ability to get a word in! :tongue: I did still get close to a couple of them mind you, though it was harder with the last (and most serious) ex as he had his own place. :smile:
Well they were all chatty enough for the both of us to be honest, bombarding me with questions at all times, didn't have much ability to get a word in! :tongue: I did still get close to a couple of them mind you, though it was harder with the last (and most serious) ex as he had his own place. :smile:

Well I guess that can work too if they are the sort that like talking, if you're quiet it can make you seem like a really good listener! Tbh I like the fact the guy I'm currently dating has his own place, I felt like when me and my last two ex's broke up, I didn't just lose a boyfriend but an entire family and I want to be sure about him to let that happen again! Saying that, my last ex's mum is really cool and told me not to be silly, that even if I didn't want to be friends with my ex ,which I shouldn't because he didn't deserve my friendship after what he did, to stay friends with her, that she's nearly always in (she works from home) and to just pop round any time for a coffee and a catch up. Which was the complete opposite of the one before; she blocked me on facebook; I was shell shocked because she treated me like the daughter she never had before the breakup...and then suddenly I was cut off even though I hadn't tried to contact her or her son :/
Reply 12
My OH's mum is genuinely adorable <3
when we first got together we hid it for as long as we could as altho our families are friends boyfriend/girlfriend relationships aren't agreed too.. Just to add a bit of context his sister is my friend but always wanted him to get with someone from their extended family so encouraged that but his mum awww she told him before we even got together that I want you to be with a girl like her and would point me out to him :colondollar:

Now his mum and sister knows, his sister has got used to the idea and has welcomed me to the family, his brothers and his dad treat me so well as if I'm the daughter of the home aww but his mum is my fav she's petite so I call her my likkle mummy but she's somewhat the matriarch of the family yet she calls to see how I am and vice versa, she will send home cooked food over when I'm unwell or it's around exam times, when it's my birthday she calls me at 12pm to wish me happy birthday then bring me a little gift over :colondollar: <3
as my OH's sister is the only girl she feels a little sidelined as her mum really adores me but at 22 I think she needs to grow up a little and realise that everyone has their own space.. :smile:

I'm so glad his family love me as much as I love them.. :smile:

His extended family are another story altogether.. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending