The Student Room Group

So what happens after 4 rejections?

Hi,

Basically I've been rejected from 3 of my 4 uni choices, I'm just worried i may end up getting rejected from my 4th medicine choice too. If that happens, is there like a medicine clearing system? Can I phone up all the medicine universities to see if they would consider me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by EternalDoom
Hi,

Basically I've been rejected from 3 of my 4 uni choices, I'm just worried i may end up getting rejected from my 4th medicine choice too. If that happens, is there like a medicine clearing system? Can I phone up all the medicine universities to see if they would consider me?

Unfortunately, there is no clearing for medicine as it is a very over-subscribed course. It will be useful to phone up the universites which have rejected you to find out the reason behind their rejections.
Hi,

what was your ukcat score and predicted grades if you dont mind me asking??
Reply 3
This is from the UCAS website on the subject:

"Q: I applied for medicine and have been turned down on all choices. What can I do?

A: If you applied for medicine only and have been turned down, you have a decision to make. Is medicine all you want? You can add one non-medical choice to your application before 30 June.

Extra and Clearing are further chances to gain a place if you do not have one. Unfortunately, very popular, over-subscribed courses like medicine are unlikely to be available.

If you do not obtain a place on a medicine course in this application cycle, you could take a 'gap' year (which you can use to improve your grades or gain some relevant health-related work experience) and reapply in the next application cycle.

Another option is to try to gain a place on a related course, for example, a science degree. You could then apply for a postgraduate medicine course after successfully completing your degree."

My plan would be to freak out personally.
Reply 4
Original post by James A
what was your ukcat score and predicted grades if you dont mind me asking??

Ukcat - 645
Predicted A*A*A in Bio, Chem and Maths
AS - AAAB (Bio, chem, psychology, maths)
Ukcat - 645
Predicted A*A*A in Bio, Chem and Maths
AS - AAAB (Bio, chem, psychology, maths)

Unlucky about your AS'

I would advise contacting your universities and asking for feedback. I'm going down the postgraduate medicine route, so I'm currently doing a Biological Science degree. Some universities however put no weight on which degree you do.
If you still want to do medicine, reapply and try again.
That's what I'm doing just now, already had two interviews (and a rejection ha) - compared to this time last year when all i'd heard was a rejection.
Reply 7
Yes if i don't get in, I do plan on doing a gap year, some voluntary work and more work experience, but i'm still going to attempt phoning up the other unis to see if they will accept me if it gets to that point.
Reply 8
i'm still going to attempt phoning up the other unis to see if they will accept me if it gets to that point.

Not trying to mean or anything, but this would be pointless.

Don't give up hope yet anyway, one offer is all you need.
Reply 9
phoning them won't do a thing.

Just take a gap and reapply next year.
Original post by .eXe
phoning them won't do a thing.

Just take a gap and reapply next year.

your right, it won't, except it will help the OP out by knowing what area of his application let him down, whether it was his AS grades or ukcat score.

@OP those predicted grades are awesome still, medicine applicants earn my full respect :wink:

best of luck with it!
Original post by That Bearded Man
Unlucky about your AS'

I would advise contacting your universities and asking for feedback. I'm going down the postgraduate medicine route, so I'm currently doing a Biological Science degree. Some universities however put no weight on which degree you do.

Since when on earth has AAAB been bad? Loads of medical applicants achieve this and get offers.

OP: Must've been your university choices/ personal statement/ interviews. :frown:
Reply 12
Hi,

I always thought that medicine had no clearing system, but have heard about 2 people who got into QUB by ringing them during clearing. One of them I was told got in last year, the other one was about 6 years ago.
Reply 13
Original post by James A
your right, it won't, except it will help the OP out by knowing what area of his application let him down, whether it was his AS grades or ukcat score.

@OP those predicted grades are awesome still, medicine applicants earn my full respect :wink:

best of luck with it!

I doubt they will tell him that stuff over thephone. but yeah I see your point.
Keep hope - you still have one choice to hear from.

If worst comes to the worst, sometimes, the person who shouts loudest gets. While the chances of phoning up and getting in are I would assume almost 0, the chances of getting in if you don't phone up are exactly 0, so what do you have to lose except some time?
Hi,

There is basically no medicine clearing system.

You've still got Barts and The London left by the look of your signature (which needs changing, don't put Queen Mary ffs) so you'll hear back from there at some point.

If BL reject you then it's up to SGUL biomed. If they give you an offer you can either go and do that or reapply. If they reject you then you go into UCAS extra/clearing depending on when that happens.

Whether you reapply or not is up to you :redface:
Reply 16
see why you got rejected then take a gap year and apply next year.
Reply 17
Just out of interest, which UNIs did you apply to? Invariably, if you did not get IVd, the hint is in your PS, and demonstrable work experience, as evidenced in your PS. If you did get an IV, then get the feedback. They owe it to you... Gap year does not guarantee you anything, except that it gives you more time to build your work experience. Anecdotal info: a family friend's son apllied to QMC (BioScience), got in and spent a year on the course, then transferred over to Medicine. If he could do it.....
Best thing you can do now is to concentrate on your A2's - get AAA minimum and prepare to re-apply.

I think for starters - your choices were very ambitious, I'm not saying 1 medical school is necessarily easier to get into, but certain med schools will prefer certain candidates. I think perhaps you should do more re-search into the uni's you have the best chances to get into.

If you want to phone up - you've got nothing to loose, don't expect anything, but what's the worst that could happen - they'll just say 'no' again.

All the best though!
Reply 19
Get the grades and apply next cycle. I was in the same situation last year, by mid-March I had 4 rejections. As long as you get the grades and use next year appropriately, your chances for next year aren't hurt at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending