The Student Room Group

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Cezara (apparently it's 'she-zara')
Original post by philistine
... your now incredibly foolish mistake.

I'm almost afraid to admit this, but until last night, I always pronounced Goethe as 'go-uff', when it's actually 'gert-uh'.

I feel so ashamed. :emo:

Go.

EDIT: It was during All Quiet on The Western Front, where the tutor says to the class, 'he wants to be all like Goethe and Schiller'. Thank you, for pointing out my ignorance.

:smug:

Mine was so embarrassing, I used to pronounce 'Giuseppe' as 'Gweesep'.

Disappointed with myself...
Reply 722
Bare in mind I was only about 8 at the time; I pronounced Swan (swon) like "s-wan", similar to swine.
Reply 723
My name everyone seemed to get wrong. It's Es-meeee, not Esmay. Got a little confused over 'niamh' too, that one's interesting.
Me: Hello Nye-am.
Niamh: It's not "Nye-am" it's "neeve". Don't you know how Irish names are pronounced?
Me: No. Oh dear, you must think me very naïmh.
Reply 725
Original post by EsmeA
My name everyone seemed to get wrong. It's Es-meeee, not Esmay. Got a little confused over 'niamh' too, that one's interesting.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't 'Es-may' the pronunciation of the traditional female variant of the name Esme? Years of French has taught me to always pronounce and spell it as Esmée :colondollar:
Reply 726
Original post by Skaði
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't 'Es-may' the pronunciation of the traditional female variant of the name Esme? Years of French has taught me to always pronounce and spell it as Esmée :colondollar:

My actual name is 'Esme' without an accent, so for me it's just pronounced phonetically. There is the accented version as well, but it's not my name, although there are variations. Also, 'Esmé' is actually a more common boys name than girls name. There's also 'Esmee', 'Esmée' and 'Ezmi', all of which have different pronunciations. I like having a fairly unusual name though- it's nice. :smile:
Reply 727
Original post by EsmeA
My actual name is 'Esme' without an accent, so for me it's just pronounced phonetically. There is the accented version as well, but it's not my name, although there are variations. Also, 'Esmé' is actually a more common boys name than girls name. There's also 'Esmee', 'Esmée' and 'Ezmi', all of which have different pronunciations. I like having a fairly unusual name though- it's nice. :smile:

Oh, me too - barely anyone has my name :smile: Esmé is the boy's name but Esmée (with an extra e) is the girl's, and I was just curious if people assumed it was pronounced like Esmée is.
Reply 728
Original post by Skaði
Oh, me too - barely anyone has my name :smile: Esmé is the boy's name but Esmée (with an extra e) is the girl's, and I was just curious if people assumed it was pronounced like Esmée is.

The majority of people do assume so, but by now, I think people have got the hang of saying it right- at school at least! It often gets shortened to 'Es' or 'Ez' anyway, so it's not a problem really. What's your name? :smile:
Mairead - thought it was 'may reed' :colondollar:
Reply 730
Original post by EsmeA
The majority of people do assume so, but by now, I think people have got the hang of saying it right- at school at least! It often gets shortened to 'Es' or 'Ez' anyway, so it's not a problem really. What's your name? :smile:

Esme's a lovely name, either pronunciation :smile: And I get the same name shortenings, too! My name's Esther. You'd think that'd be relatively easy to pronounce...:colonhash:
Reply 731
Original post by Skaði
Esme's a lovely name, either pronunciation :smile: And I get the same name shortenings, too! My name's Esther. You'd think that'd be relatively easy to pronounce...:colonhash:

Thanks, I do like it. Problem is, one of my closest friends is called 'Elsa', and despite the fact we're completely different, people can STILL get our names mixed up. That's a lovely name too, isn't it pronounced 'Es-ter'?
Tim
Reply 733
Original post by EsmeA
That's a lovely name too, isn't it pronounced 'Es-ter'?

Yep :smile: But the number of people who either a) don't hear me properly and think my name is 'Emma' or 'Ella' (or in one case, Esme :biggrin:) because they've never heard my name before or b) pronounce my name 'Easter' or 'Star' happens quite frequently. I actually considered changing my name at one point because I was getting so exasperated, but in recent years I've grown to like my name. No one else has my name too, which is nice: much as I like the names, there are three Eleanors and three Jessicas in my English class alone, and for some reason I really dislike the idea of having a name that everyone else has :s-smilie:
I rather like it when people mispronounce my name, Theo, as Tay-oh. But that's rarely English people.
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Nope the 'orn' bit is just someone's accent changing it a bit. The correct pronunciation is shiv-AWN, emphasis on second part.

Surely that would just depend on what the person's accent is? When I say it, "orn" and "awn" sound the same.
Hermione.

First it was "Hermoine", then "Hermy-own".
Original post by Village Whisper
Surely that would just depend on what the person's accent is? When I say it, "orn" and "awn" sound the same.

'awn' sounds pretty similar in most accents (and is the way that Siobhan is pronounced), whereas in many accents (including Irish, where Siobhan originates) 'orn' would sound completely different.
Reply 738
Sean, Micah, Janine (like J-9!)
Original post by seanfromtheblock
'awn' sounds pretty similar in most accents (and is the way that Siobhan is pronounced), whereas in many accents (including Irish, where Siobhan originates) 'orn' would sound completely different.

Yeah I know, I was just pointing out that the person who said "shi-vorn" before might have meant "shi-vawn" depending on their accent. I agree that "awn" would be a better way of writing it phonetically though, to avoid mispronunciation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending