Are there Access to science students?!

I need some help! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you want to know?
Reply 2
Jami, Jami! You've already helped me before, and here you are again! :smile:

I didn't know you were on science, though. :smile:

Cut long story short, when I was interviewed, I was told we would be in the "Health and Social Care" pathway. Then, in induction day, I was giving my forms in and the lady that was collecting them say "Oh, for OT and Physiotherapy it's the Science pathway". I am still undecided about what I want to do but it has to be something like OT, Physio or if I choose another career, which I doubt, it will still be related to health (and so, sciences).

Anyway,my timetable (the one I was giving early on induction, before handing the forms) is like this:
- Monday- English (am) and Study Skills (pm)
- Wednesday- Tutorial (am) and Maths (pm)
- Friday- Science (am) and Sociology (pm)

Well, sociology? Is this part of the science pathway? And what's "tutorial"?! :s-smilie:

Then, it says "science", does that mean I'll have several sciences one after another or will I have just one science? :s-smilie:

Thanks again. :smile:

:merryxmas:
Reply 3
Original post by jmfc

Cut long story short, when I was interviewed, I was told we would be in the "Health and Social Care" pathway. Then, in induction day, I was giving my forms in and the lady that was collecting them say "Oh, for OT and Physiotherapy it's the Science pathway". I am still undecided about what I want to do but it has to be something like OT, Physio or if I choose another career, which I doubt, it will still be related to health (and so, sciences).

Anyway,my timetable (the one I was giving early on induction, before handing the forms) is like this:

Well, sociology? Is this part of the science pathway? And what's "tutorial"?! :s-smilie:

Then, it says "science", does that mean I'll have several sciences one after another or will I have just one science? :s-smilie:

Well firstly don't panic. When I started this access course there was a bit of shuffling around of students in the first couple of weeks, students who realised that they didn't need certain subjects for their chosen career disappeared and students who did need them turned up. Once you've done your first week you'll hopefully know if you are doing the right subjects and who to talk to about changing things.

Our tutorial and study skills are lumped together (because our tutor teaches study skills) so I don't really know what the difference is. They seem to cover the mandatory units that are required by all access courses (as far as I know). We have assignments in IT (how to use Word), how to plan our time, how to revise etc. While they seem to be a pain in the backside they are fairly straightforward and will bump your credits up. Plus, our tutor talks to us about how to apply to university/write a personal statement/interview etc.

I think in my college the ones who are wanting to go into certain health areas are doing something like psychology/sociology. It would cover the 'social care' part of the Health and Social Care course. It sounds like you've got the Health and Social Care timetable, maybe the science pathway timetable would have biology and chemistry/physics instead of sociology.

I don't know how your science will be organised. My course has an extremely high science content compared to other courses I looked at and it is divided up into specific subjects ie chemistry, biology etc. It might be that your course will do a selection of units from different sciences but have lumped them together all under the name of science.

When you have your first tutorial you will probably be given a sheet that outlines your course and breaks the subjects into units and credits, for example we are doing seven units in biology all worth 3 credits each. Most of us in our group are all applying for the same course and all need to do all of the credits but there are a couple applying for different courses who don't need so many credits and so they won't cover all of the units. If you want to see what mine looks like pm me your email address.

I know you have plenty of time before you have to apply to university but do some research now. Look at courses and find out what they expect you to have from your access course because you don't want to find out too late that you don't have enough credits in a particular subject. But I'm sure once you get there your tutors will have experience of students who want to do OT or Physiotherapy and they'll know what the universities will expect you to have and they'll tell you which lessons you need to go to.
Reply 4
Original post by jami74
Well firstly don't panic. When I started this access course there was a bit of shuffling around of students in the first couple of weeks, students who realised that they didn't need certain subjects for their chosen career disappeared and students who did need them turned up. Once you've done your first week you'll hopefully know if you are doing the right subjects and who to talk to about changing things.

Our tutorial and study skills are lumped together (because our tutor teaches study skills) so I don't really know what the difference is. They seem to cover the mandatory units that are required by all access courses (as far as I know). We have assignments in IT (how to use Word), how to plan our time, how to revise etc. While they seem to be a pain in the backside they are fairly straightforward and will bump your credits up. Plus, our tutor talks to us about how to apply to university/write a personal statement/interview etc.

I think in my college the ones who are wanting to go into certain health areas are doing something like psychology/sociology. It would cover the 'social care' part of the Health and Social Care course. It sounds like you've got the Health and Social Care timetable, maybe the science pathway timetable would have biology and chemistry/physics instead of sociology.

I don't know how your science will be organised. My course has an extremely high science content compared to other courses I looked at and it is divided up into specific subjects ie chemistry, biology etc. It might be that your course will do a selection of units from different sciences but have lumped them together all under the name of science.

When you have your first tutorial you will probably be given a sheet that outlines your course and breaks the subjects into units and credits, for example we are doing seven units in biology all worth 3 credits each. Most of us in our group are all applying for the same course and all need to do all of the credits but there are a couple applying for different courses who don't need so many credits and so they won't cover all of the units. If you want to see what mine looks like pm me your email address.

I know you have plenty of time before you have to apply to university but do some research now. Look at courses and find out what they expect you to have from your access course because you don't want to find out too late that you don't have enough credits in a particular subject. But I'm sure once you get there your tutors will have experience of students who want to do OT or Physiotherapy and they'll know what the universities will expect you to have and they'll tell you which lessons you need to go to.

Hi,

Thanks so much! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jmfc

sorry to hijack your thread jmfc i am also doing health however i also have science 3 times a week plus a class on Psychology and Sociology .A tutorial is usually a one to one or sometimes it can be a group tutorial where u discuss things about the course or what you finding differcult with the course with a lecturer jmfc.

If the science is anything like mine you will study a wide range of different science areas jmfc like us we did a few weeks on cells,cell structure and what was in a cell and did various practicals then we moved onto the next unit which was about the digestive system and its gastrointestinal tract and also covered diet, and now we moved onto the cardiovascular system and did loads of work on that

Each individual unit jmfc is about between 6 weeks in length it really depends how much your college and class will cover in that particular time scale,as we have 3 lessions a week of between 1 hour and then 2 hour sessions on one particular topic area we cover enough to pass the assignment as long as we attend all the practical as well as written aspects of it .
Reply 6
Original post by wizardtop

If the science is anything like mine you will study a wide range of different science areas jmfc like us we did a few weeks on cells,cell structure and what was in a cell and did various practicals then we moved onto the next unit which was about the digestive system and its gastrointestinal tract and also covered diet, and now we moved onto the cardiovascular system and did loads of work on that

Sounds like we are doing the same biology units! We did cells first, then nutrition (still waiting for my final grade for that) and are being assessed on heart/circulation after Christmas. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by jami74
Sounds like we are doing the same biology units! We did cells first, then nutrition (still waiting for my final grade for that) and are being assessed on heart/circulation after Christmas. :smile:

we have now finish heart/circulation jami74 as thats one of my assignments i am currently doing over this festive break , along with a psychology assigment on mental health.

even at xmas our college likes us to work but suppose it is good practice for the next level:eek:

I obtained some good grades sciencewise at the mo.how u finding the science jami74 if u dont mind me asking u ^_^
Firstly, your Science pathway doesn't look very 'sciencey' - just one morning per week. Sociology isn't really scientific enough to be considered a science. In fact, I'm doing more science than you on my Access to Health programme :biggrin:

That said, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If in doubt, contact the universities you are going to apply to, or check their websites, for details on the Access qualifications they would like you to take.
Reply 9

we have now finish heart/circulation jami74 as thats one of my assignments i am currently doing over this festive break , along with a psychology assigment on mental health.

even at xmas our college likes us to work but suppose it is good practice for the next level:eek:

I obtained some good grades sciencewise at the mo.how u finding the science jami74 if u dont mind me asking u ^_^

I'm enjoying the science and my first couple of grades have been good. We're having an exam on heart/circulation, I don't suppose you'd email me your assignment on that subject? The questions, not the answers lol, just because the more practice I get at answering questions the better.

Thankfully I'm not doing any subjects that require essay writing. I know we'll be writing one next year which is going to be quite a big piece of work but most of our units are assignments, tests, assessments (being watched doing a lab), scientific write-ups and exams.
Reply 10
sorry to hijack your thread jmfc i am also doing health however i also have science 3 times a week plus a class on Psychology and Sociology .A tutorial is usually a one to one or sometimes it can be a group tutorial where u discuss things about the course or what you finding differcult with the course with a lecturer jmfc.

Each individual unit jmfc is about between 6 weeks in length it really depends how much your college and class will cover in that particular time scale,as we have 3 lessions a week of between 1 hour and then 2 hour sessions on one particular topic area we cover enough to pass the assignment as long as we attend all the practical as well as written aspects of it .

Hi.

What do you mean by "I have science three times a week"? Do you mean three hours our three "mornings"? :confused:

Thanks so much for your answer! :smile:

Reply 11
Original post by maturestudy
Firstly, your Science pathway doesn't look very 'sciencey' - just one morning per week. Sociology isn't really scientific enough to be considered a science. In fact, I'm doing more science than you on my Access to Health programme :biggrin:

That said, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If in doubt, contact the universities you are going to apply to, or check their websites, for details on the Access qualifications they would like you to take.

Exactly, this doesn't look very "sciencey", hence my worries.

I already checked with the universities and that's exactly why I feel consfused about this timetable!

I suppose you guys are right, I probably have to wait until the course starts to understand how it's going to be.

How's your timetable like? :smile:

Oh, and thanks for your help. :smile:

Original post by jmfc
Hi.

What do you mean by "I have science three times a week"? Do you mean three hours our three "mornings"? :confused:

Thanks so much for your answer! :smile:

Sorry didnt explain it well enough jmfc.I have one science class of one hour on Tuesday morning then have another 3 hour session on Thursday afternoon and another 2 hour session on Friday afternoon so thats 6hrs a week of Science,If you want to ask me anything Sciencewise then i am here.:smile:Happy Xmas to u jmfc
Original post by jami74
I'm enjoying the science and my first couple of grades have been good. We're having an exam on heart/circulation, I don't suppose you'd email me your assignment on that subject? The questions, not the answers lol, just because the more practice I get at answering questions the better.

Thankfully I'm not doing any subjects that require essay writing. I know we'll be writing one next year which is going to be quite a big piece of work but most of our units are assignments, tests, assessments (being watched doing a lab), scientific write-ups and exams.

jami74 wouldnt that be a unfair advantage if i did that :eek:which i am not going to do.jami74 if i were you i would do some research on what makes the heart so special designed and if i was you i would invest in a human anatomy /physiology book as that would stand you in good stead if you havnt already done so.

We tend to do a lot of written assignments along with a few practicals on each individual area,like when we did the heart we had to bring into our practicals a sheeps heart etc and disect it so that we understood about the different chambers of the heart etc.
Reply 14
Sorry didnt explain it well enough jmfc.I have one science class of one hour on Tuesday morning then have another 3 hour session on Thursday afternoon and another 2 hour session on Friday afternoon so thats 6hrs a week of Science,If you want to ask me anything Sciencewise then i am here.:smile:Happy Xmas to u jmfc

And you want to go to mental health nursing, am I right? :smile:

Well, that's what a call a science based course. LMO. A whole afternoon just for sociology doesn't sound very sciencey at all.. Perhaps this timetable I was given is for the health and social care pathway?

I suppose that health and social care would be great for occupational therapy or nursing, but science is even better, right? And I'm affraid for physiotherapy, for instance, it would definitely be better to study the science.

But I guess they put people in the right pathway, anyway. :eek: I am realy confused. Let's wait and see, that's the only thing to do, now...

Oh, but I've just remembered something! At induction day we were all the in the same room and the teacher asked if there was anyone there wanting to be a teacher or nurse, and some people raised their hands. So, the teacher had no idea what any of us wanted to do, and we all were given the same timetable. :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Perhaps the hours are the same to anybody but the subjects change according to the pathway? I don't think a primary teacher and a nurse would be in the same pathway. And God knows what everybody else wants do in Uni. He just asked that to advise that people wanting to pursue those careers should try to get experience... :s-smilie:

Well, thanks a lot. :smile:

Have yourself a Merry Christmas! :smile:
Original post by jmfc
And you want to go to mental health nursing, am I right? :smile:

Well, that's what a call a science based course. LMO. A whole afternoon just for sociology doesn't sound very sciencey at all.. Perhaps this timetable I was given is for the health and social care pathway?

I suppose that health and social care would be great for occupational therapy or nursing, but science is even better, right? And I'm affraid for physiotherapy, for instance, it would definitely be better to study the science.

But I guess they put people in the right pathway, anyway. :eek: I am realy confused. Let's wait and see, that's the only thing to do, now...

Oh, but I've just remembered something! At induction day we were all the in the same room and the teacher asked if there was anyone there wanting to be a teacher or nurse, and some people raised their hands. So, the teacher had no idea what any of us wanted to do, and we all were given the same timetable. :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Perhaps the hours are the same to anybody but the subjects change according to the pathway? I don't think a primary teacher and a nurse would be in the same pathway. And God knows what everybody else wants do in Uni. He just asked that to advise that people wanting to pursue those careers should try to get experience... :s-smilie:

Well, thanks a lot. :smile:

Have yourself a Merry Christmas! :smile:

yes you are correct jmfc i want to do mental health nursing and i am doing the health pathway at my college.
We do a lot of science because it offers us more than 18 credits at level 3 in that particular subject we also do 6 credits at level 3 in Sociology and about if my maths is correct 12 credits at level 3 in Psychology and the remainder comes from our Core skills,It and Maths modules

If i took the science pathway it just means i be doing more credits in chemistry and few in physics.Which i didnt want to do.The health pathway is more if u wish to be a Nurse,Midwife really
The science pathway would be more suitable if u wanted to be a physiotherapist.Radiographer,Human Biologist,Biologists etc those type of careers really
The Education/Humanities pathway would be more specially geared towards a Access student would wanted to be a socialworker or a teacher

My advice to you jmfc is after new year find out from this college the following
1) that you are been placed on the right pathaway(access)that you need to do for your future degree
2)that it covers a substantial amount of science content for your degree obviously this questions is interlinked with no 1
3) e-mail the universities u wish to apply to with a copy of the course content if u have that and ask them would they consider it

If u want any more advice jmfc so pm me on here and i be glad to advise u further:smile:
Reply 16
yes you are correct jmfc i want to do mental health nursing and i am doing the health pathway at my college.
We do a lot of science because it offers us more than 18 credits at level 3 in that particular subject we also do 6 credits at level 3 in Sociology and about if my maths is correct 12 credits at level 3 in Psychology and the remainder comes from our Core skills,It and Maths modules

If i took the science pathway it just means i be doing more credits in chemistry and few in physics.Which i didnt want to do.The health pathway is more if u wish to be a Nurse,Midwife really
The science pathway would be more suitable if u wanted to be a physiotherapist.Radiographer,Human Biologist,Biologists etc those type of careers really
The Education/Humanities pathway would be more specially geared towards a Access student would wanted to be a socialworker or a teacher

My advice to you jmfc is after new year find out from this college the following
1) that you are been placed on the right pathaway(access)that you need to do for your future degree
2)that it covers a substantial amount of science content for your degree obviously this questions is interlinked with no 1
3) e-mail the universities u wish to apply to with a copy of the course content if u have that and ask them would they consider it

If u want any more advice jmfc so pm me on here and i be glad to advise u further:smile:

Thanks so much. :smile:

The idea of emailing the universities with the copy of the course content is a great one! :smile:

So, we can actually choose pathways.... I didn't know that! :smile:

For physio my uni of choice asks: 15 level 3 credits at merit in Biology plus 15 level 3 credits in a science or social science at merit. achievement of level 2 credits giving GCSE equivalence in English Language, Mathematics and Physics.

For OT: 30 level 3 credits at merit, of which 15 must be in a Science or Health related subject; achievement of level 2 credits giving GCSE equivalence in English Language and Mathematics.

So, for Physio I'd have to study Biology and Physics plus another science or social science whereas for OT it can be any science related to health and not necessarily biolgy (but probably it's going to be biology anyway, I mean, it's fair to suppose biology is essencial?) and no need for Physics.. Anyway, there is another 15 level 3 at merit requirement which can be anything so I guess the OT requirements look "easier". Don't you think?

I'd say health and social care pathway would be ok for OT, but not enough for Physio, the later being covered only by science. Am I making any sense? :s-smilie:

Gosh, I'm confused! :colondollar:

Thanks a lot, you're the greatest! :wink:
Reply 17

jami74 wouldnt that be a unfair advantage if i did that :eek:which i am not going to do.jami74 if i were you i would do some research on what makes the heart so special designed and if i was you i would invest in a human anatomy /physiology book as that would stand you in good stead if you havnt already done so.

We tend to do a lot of written assignments along with a few practicals on each individual area,like when we did the heart we had to bring into our practicals a sheeps heart etc and disect it so that we understood about the different chambers of the heart etc.

Gosh sorry wizardtop I didn't mean to give the impression that I was after an unfair advantage, I really wasn't. Our exams are written by our teachers so it's extremely unlikely that your assignment questions are the same as my exam questions would be. I have been practicing the past A'level papers online to get the hang of the different ways that the same information can be asked. I now understand everything I'm meant to (have used the books that the teachers write for us as well as an A'level book) and am just practicing answering questions in timed conditions and thought that you might have different questions to the ones I've been practicing if that makes sense. Sorry for the misunderstanding but I'm certainly not after cheating.
Original post by jami74
Gosh sorry wizardtop I didn't mean to give the impression that I was after an unfair advantage, I really wasn't. Our exams are written by our teachers so it's extremely unlikely that your assignment questions are the same as my exam questions would be. I have been practicing the past A'level papers online to get the hang of the different ways that the same information can be asked. I now understand everything I'm meant to (have used the books that the teachers write for us as well as an A'level book) and am just practicing answering questions in timed conditions and thought that you might have different questions to the ones I've been practicing if that makes sense. Sorry for the misunderstanding but I'm certainly not after cheating.

hi jami74 have already pm u.I know u want to do well in your assignments as well as exams.But what i always do is read up on certain topic areas ,have u already brought anatomy and physiology book ? jami74 as i suggest that you do as i find reading such books does help me anyway.Also the mere fact jami74 u have already been practicing will stand you in great stead.The cardiovascular system is very complex as i am sure u are aware.I been at my 3rd assignment about a week now and i still havnt finished it :eek:hope by the end of next week i have lol
Original post by jami74

I would also add i didnt think for one moment that you would cheat jami74 and i am sure u work exceptionary hard on all your coursework and assignments jami74 like we all do.If u ever want any further advice etc just pm me jami74 be glad to help :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending