The Student Room Group

Do you do Additional Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenLantern1
Well the new Furthe Maths GCSE is not equivalent to Additional Maths FSMQ.

Further Maths GCSE is a GCSE so is Level 2 qualification

Additional Maths FSMQ is a Level 3 qualification equivalent to half an AS-Level.

So it is quite clear, since Level 3 is harder and greater than Level 2, that Additional Maths FSMQ is harder and more respected than Further Maths GCSE. I am sorry but that is axiomatic!

I thought you were doing Level 2.
Original post by Dalek1099
I thought you were doing Level 2.

No I am doing Additional Maths FSMQ. That is Level 3 ( A-Level) so it is definitely harder than Further Maths GCSE.

Don't think I said I was doing Level 2 but fair enough.
Reply 102
Additional maths is only worth doing if you are going to be taught well and taught for a decent length of time. The stuff in it is difficult for the age that you will be learning it, and prior knowledge that you will likely have.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
No I am doing Additional Maths FSMQ. That is Level 3 ( A-Level) so it is definitely harder than Further Maths GCSE.

Don't think I said I was doing Level 2 but fair enough.

Have you already done your GCSE?/How are you finding the course?
You actually can get a super grade,if you take it and Further Maths GCSE is not Additional Maths GCSE,it is completely different,with Additional Maths ending last year I think and Further Maths starting this year and I have looked at the Additional Maths papers and the specimen Further Maths papers and Additional Maths GCSE is 10 times easier-the new Further Maths GCSE should be equivalent to the Additional Maths FSMQ I think and it contains differentiation and lots of A-Level content,preparing me for Further Maths A-Level,which I plan to take.

I don't do FSMQ and I'm not going to do Further Maths GCSE but surely further maths GCSE will prepare you more for A-Level maths rather than A-Level further maths? Could be wrong, though...

But FSMQ does seem to be as hard as C1 and C2 at AS maths (unless I'm mistaken) :smile:
Original post by usycool1
I don't do FSMQ and I'm not going to do Further Maths GCSE but surely further maths GCSE will prepare you more for A-Level maths rather than A-Level further maths? Could be wrong, though...

But FSMQ does seem to be as hard as C1 and C2 at AS maths (unless I'm mistaken) :smile:

Further Maths includes A-Level Maths content,which means that you have the foundation for learning Further Maths already and without it GCSE to Further Maths is a big jump.To add to this,FSMQ in Additional Maths is harder than C1 and C2 because like the FSMQ Additional Maths level 2,that builds on GCSE knowledge,it builds on that level-I'd say its probably got half of AS/half of A2 maths in its content.The GFurther Maths GCSE that I plan to do includes content from C1 and C2.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 106
Further Maths includes A-Level Maths content,which means that you have the foundation for learning Further Maths already and without it GCSE to Further Maths is a big jump.To add to this,FSMQ in Additional Maths is harder than C1 and C2 because like the FSMQ Additional Maths level 2,that builds on GCSE knowledge,it builds on that level-I'd say its probably got half of AS/half of A2 maths in its content.The GFurther Maths GCSE that I plan to do includes content from C1 and C2.

Briefly looked at the spec for Further Maths GCSE (AQA)

Things that FM GCSE has that FSMQ doesnt - Geometric Series, Matrices

Things OCR FSMQ has that FM GCSE does not - Integration (Area under graph, Binomial, Kinematics (both constant and variable acceleration), Maybe more? it's been 2 years since i did it

And no, it's not half of A2 lol, yes it's harder than AS maths but there's no A2 maths that i can see and the only A2 maths in add maths is Binomials (S2) and Variable Acceleration (M2). But the GCSE does have FP1 (Matrices)

I would say FSMQ is harder than the GCSE but both will prepare you for A level maths, but no way Further Maths.

Does it contain A2 stuff? I can't find too much A2 maths in there (it definitely contains lots of AS stuff though). And the jump from AS maths to A-Level further maths is still quite big you know :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Does it contain A2 stuff? I can't find too much A2 maths in there (it definitely contains lots of AS stuff though). And the jump from AS maths to A-Level further maths is still quite big you know :smile:

No it only contains AS maths and then a it from all the applied modules. Like desijut said it has A2 Applied Maths but a very small bit only.

Original post by desijut

Things OCR FSMQ has that FM GCSE does not - Integration (Area under graph, Binomial, Kinematics (both constant and variable acceleration), Maybe more? it's been 2 years since i did it

And no, it's not half of A2 lol, yes it's harder than AS maths but there's no A2 maths that i can see and the only A2 maths in add maths is Binomials (S2) and Variable Acceleration (M2). But the GCSE does have FP1 (Matrices)

I would say FSMQ is harder than the GCSE but both will prepare you for A level maths, but no way Further Maths.

Yeah. further Maths will have nothing really at all from the Addmaths FSMQ right?
Reply 109
Yeah. further Maths will have nothing really at all from the Addmaths FSMQ right?

Yeah, nothing
Original post by desijut

From the look of this,the FSMQ isn't that much different to Further Maths GCSE in terms of difficulty,yet it is a level 3 qualification and Further Maths,is a level 2 qualification?They prepare you for Further Maths because my getting the A-Level content out of the way,or some of it,you are ready to start taking on Further Maths at college because without it you would have to jump straight into Further Maths,with no understanding of A-Level Maths and this sounds difficult-it also says on the AQA website,on the roots of mathematics page,can't remember how you access it,that Further Maths GCSE leads onto A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths.
From the look of this,the FSMQ isn't that much different to Further Maths GCSE in terms of difficulty,yet it is a level 3 qualification and Further Maths,is a level 2 qualification?They prepare you for Further Maths because my getting the A-Level content out of the way,or some of it,you are ready to start taking on Further Maths at college because without it you would have to jump straight into Further Maths,with no understanding of A-Level Maths and this sounds difficult-it also says on the AQA website,on the roots of mathematics page,can't remember how you access it,that Further Maths GCSE leads onto A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths.

FSMQ is harder than GCSE Further Maths. Trust me it is! That is why one is Level 3 and the other Level 2. If they were both of equal difficulty they would both be the same level. Even you can't deny that!
Reply 112
Original post by blueray
I'm doing OCR wbu? :smile:

I'm doing the same, OCR additional maths. I start it after the half term holidays.
(edited 11 years ago)
FSMQ is harder than GCSE Further Maths. Trust me it is! That is why one is Level 3 and the other Level 2. If they were both of equal difficulty they would both be the same level. Even you can't deny that!

To be honest,I think most people on this thread have probably got it wrong,your doing additional maths level 3 FSMQ,so it should be harder than maths at level 3 and should be quite heavily toughing on A2 Maths/AS Further Maths.GCSE Further Maths is in addition to GCSE,so pushes beyond that level onto AS Maths.
Reply 114
How did those taking it today find it?
Reply 115
the exam was decent! i think i got around 60/100
Reply 116
Fine. I'm thinking a good solid A. The exam was quite a lot easier than some of the practice papers.
Original post by lilac12
Fine. I'm thinking a good solid A. The exam was quite a lot easier than some of the practice papers.

The whole of my class found it alot harder than past papers. Not good at all
Reply 118
Original post by Georgehigginson
The whole of my class found it alot harder than past papers. Not good at all

I second this. I found it a lot less accessible than all the previous papers I'd done; sometimes I wasn't entirely sure what they were asking. Ended up having a bad day with the paper; I think I spent too much time puzzling out the questions I didn't understand (which was worrying because that's never occurred in any of my practices), and didn't really check the rest of it.
And I know I made a mistake somewhere in my algebra on one of the latter questions - a question that I've done countless times and have never had a problem with before - because all the answers I got for each part seemed incorrect... fingers crossed I'll still get reasonable marks for methods, though, as I know the theory - the mistake in that part was probably something very simple. But the more I looked at it, the more confused I got, with there not being enough room in the answer boxes to do a corrected version, resulting in scribbles and tiny corrections, thus making it even more confusing. Add that to the questions where I just had to make educated guesses, and the outlook isn't great. It was incredibly frustrating and I've decided not to think about it - I really doubt I'll get my A. :sad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending