The Student Room Group

What do you think of these A-level choices ?

Im currently in at the end of yr11 and im considering what a-levels to take I have identified where my key skills are which is mainly essay writing, analysis and i find religion and humanity subjects very interesting especially current affairs, im good at maths and science but I generally dont like the subject find it boring and would hate a future career in those two fields.

So far I think im going to take - History, Law, Govt.+Politics, philosophy and ethics

im looking to take law or philosophy as a degree, do you think these are suitable a-levels for that?

and another question is how hard is it to get A* in these subjects at a-level do you need to be some brainiac or does it require you to work your butt off ?

I would say im an A grade GCSE pupil.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
[QUOTE="h_a_95;35558288"]Im currently in at the end of yr11 and im considering what a-levels to take I have identified where my key skills are which is mainly essay writing, analysis and i find religion and humanity subjects very interesting especially current affairs, im good at maths and science but I generally dont like the subject find it boring and would hate a future career in those two fields.

So far I think im going to take - History, Law, Govt.+Politics, philosophy and ethics

im looking to take law or philosophy as a degree, do you think these are suitable a-levels for that?

and another question is how hard is it to get A* in these subjects at a-level do you need to be some brainiac or does it require you to work your butt off ?

Thanks.[/QUOTE

A grade GCSE students find A levels are massive jump from what they are used to. Routine your life, dispatch time to proper things and live a healthy and balanced life...

drop law a level, its useless, focus on getting A*AA at least and believe me thats good enough for Law (A level) at any university..... Law is generally considered weak....

Humanitites subject takes a lot of time learning how to argue, reason and present information in an attractive tone, unique to the person.... therefore keep working with teachers, read, recite what you learn....

its as hard as you will make it really, the more you work properly the easier or at least comfortable you will feel....

drop law, dont do it, for goodness sake ,,, erm take an AS level in say biology and work for a B or C ... in all you should aim for A*A*A* c - AAAc

honestly

ps unis like a wide category of students, you may not want to work with the sciences but it will give you a good oppertunity to put your techinal skills in practice, something unique as many students for philosophy or law will have humanities and social sciences, its good to have a traditional science
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I'd say replace Law with something like Economics or Maths.
Reply 3
Replace law with english it will help with your essay skills and goes hand in hand with history :smile:
Original post by h_a_95
Im currently in at the end of yr11 and im considering what a-levels to take I have identified where my key skills are which is mainly essay writing, analysis and i find religion and humanity subjects very interesting especially current affairs, im good at maths and science but I generally dont like the subject find it boring and would hate a future career in those two fields.

Thanks.

Find out what uni's generally require for a degree in either Law or Philosophy, then if you need to tailor your ideas around that. Law is good, its interesting, but unfortunately Uni's don't seem to hold it in high regard, which is a shame because its actuallu quite a hard A-Level :/ But yeah they seem like a good selection of A-Level choices :smile:

A-Levels are a big jump from GCSE, most people will find it hard to begin with, I know I did :smile: But once you learn to manage your time, work outside of lessons and prioritise things, then it becomes easier and your grades begin to reflect your effort :smile:
Change law for something sciencey
Reply 6
Are you any good at Maths? If so, and you like it (up to a point), I recommend it. It widens your options so much, and it's useful for Philosophy degrees too.
Reply 7
history is a nice subject to learn, for someone like interested in it. but there's large possibilty there for you to cock up if you don't perscribe to the idea that "it isn't what you write, or what you know, it's how you write it" as if you don't, regardless of how much you know and how well you think you're articulating your point with evidence and so on, you can't get any better than a C, which is ridiculous. basically if you can apply a formulaic structure to historical analysis, as well as having a good memory for facts and being able to adapt them and reason on the spot in the exam, then you'll do well.

what i would say is that if you have an interest in psychology, and explanations for human behaviour, then you could consider that as an "easy" subject option, because, that's what it is if you can just memorise the information they dole out to you and memorise a few bullet point essay plans at the end of it and you can get a straight A, and it is not scientific at all, save for ONE study that you look at for AS, so it's ideal if you're not too keen on pure sciences.

i do agree with what's been said above about humanities showing that you've learned and are able to argue, reason and present information, but not taking the subjects you've suggested like law and politics, i cannot really comment other than what i've observed from friends that have taken them.
Reply 8
Original post by milkytea

Original post by milkytea
Are you any good at Maths? If so, and you like it (up to a point), I recommend it. It widens your options so much, and it's useful for Philosophy degrees too.

i absolutely hate maths although i can do it. Revising it for more than 1hour gives me a migraine its dead boring although im good at it, i dont think i could cope at a-level
Reply 9
Original post by honestly

[QUOTE="honestly;35558590"]
Original post by h_a_95

Thanks.[/QUOTE

A grade GCSE students find A levels are massive jump from what they are used to. Routine your life, dispatch time to proper things and live a healthy and balanced life...

drop law a level, its useless, focus on getting A*AA at least and believe me thats good enough for Law (A level) at any university..... Law is generally considered weak....

Humanitites subject takes a lot of time learning how to argue, reason and present information in an attractive tone, unique to the person.... therefore keep working with teachers, read, recite what you learn....

its as hard as you will make it really, the more you work properly the easier or at least comfortable you will feel....

drop law, dont do it, for goodness sake ,,, erm take an AS level in say biology and work for a B or C ... in all you should aim for A*A*A* c - AAAc

honestly

ps unis like a wide category of students, you may not want to work with the sciences but it will give you a good oppertunity to put your techinal skills in practice, something unique as many students for philosophy or law will have humanities and social sciences, its good to have a traditional science

thanks a lot i will definently look into science a-level i suppose i could cope with it for 1year and then drop it for A2, if i get a lower grade on my a/s but all A/A* in my main 3 will it affect my uni application or do they only take notice of the main 3
Reply 10
[QUOTE="h_a_95;35564713"]

thanks a lot i will definently look into science a-level i suppose i could cope with it for 1year and then drop it for A2, if i get a lower grade on my a/s but all A/A* in my main 3 will it affect my uni application or do they only take notice of the main 3

Well since its law or philosophy you be applying for, i suppose a low grade in science isnt all that bad, especially with good grades at GCSE I'm definately sure that you will get offers with A*AA...

with say A*AA you will be ok for Oxbridge, golden triange... as most require A*AA

honestly
:smile:
Reply 11
[QUOTE="honestly;35566093"]
Original post by h_a_95

Well since its law or philosophy you be applying for, i suppose a low grade in science isnt all that bad, especially with good grades at GCSE I'm definately sure that you will get offers with A*AA...

with say A*AA you will be ok for Oxbridge, golden triange... as most require A*AA

honestly
:smile:

kool, i have a family friend who owns a law firm i can get experience there every summer in college will that have any affect on my chances of getting in ?
Reply 12
Original post by h_a_95
i absolutely hate maths although i can do it. Revising it for more than 1hour gives me a migraine its dead boring although im good at it, i dont think i could cope at a-level

Yeah, don't take a subject you hate. Top priority for A level choices should be what you enjoy, in my view. I just liked Maths 'cos it gave some variety from writing essays.:tongue:
Reply 13
[QUOTE="h_a_95;35568635"]

kool, i have a family friend who owns a law firm i can get experience there every summer in college will that have any affect on my chances of getting in ?

thats an added bonus, even without the experience extra cricullar can help and even hobbies and interests, I was reading constitutional and administrative law when i was 15; never understood it but its the excitement made me try and understand literally every night....

I would say go for it, it would be fantastic on your personal statement.... trust moi you will get offers....

standard guidline for A students is; 2 top unis 2 respected and 1 just in case ...

e.g. Oxford and LSE (or UCL, Durham)... Manchester/ warwcik... and York .... and then someting with AAA/AAB .....

of course it would be your choice and depending on how you perform you may want to alter that formula.... e.g. 4 top unis and 1 good one.....

honestly
Do you have any idea where you want to go for university? If so, you could look at university websites, prospectuses etc and see what they recommend and how they would view A-level Law. Don't worry about having all essay subjects - as long as you enjoy the subjects and can write a decent essay with proper exam technique, you should be fine. If you don't enjoy science I wouldn't recommend a science subject at A-level, even if you're plannng to drop it after AS. I saw too many people choose a science just to look 'more rounded', and plenty of them did badly in the AS just because they weren't motivated enough to work hard and found it too difficult, even if they'd got A/A* at GCSE. Remember that you're most likely to get good grades in the subjects you enjoy. I can't really comment on your choices apart from History, which I really enjoyed. I know a lot of people who did Government and Politics and Philosophy and Ethics as well, though, and for the most part they did very well and enjoyed the course.
Reply 15
Original post by whatsername2009

Original post by whatsername2009
Do you have any idea where you want to go for university? If so, you could look at university websites, prospectuses etc and see what they recommend and how they would view A-level Law. Don't worry about having all essay subjects - as long as you enjoy the subjects and can write a decent essay with proper exam technique, you should be fine. If you don't enjoy science I wouldn't recommend a science subject at A-level, even if you're plannng to drop it after AS. I saw too many people choose a science just to look 'more rounded', and plenty of them did badly in the AS just because they weren't motivated enough to work hard and found it too difficult, even if they'd got A/A* at GCSE. Remember that you're most likely to get good grades in the subjects you enjoy. I can't really comment on your choices apart from History, which I really enjoyed. I know a lot of people who did Government and Politics and Philosophy and Ethics as well, though, and for the most part they did very well and enjoyed the course.

thanks for advice, helped alot
Reply 16

[QUOTE="honestly;35575488"]
Original post by h_a_95

thats an added bonus, even without the experience extra cricullar can help and even hobbies and interests, I was reading constitutional and administrative law when i was 15; never understood it but its the excitement made me try and understand literally every night....

I would say go for it, it would be fantastic on your personal statement.... trust moi you will get offers....

standard guidline for A students is; 2 top unis 2 respected and 1 just in case ...

e.g. Oxford and LSE (or UCL, Durham)... Manchester/ warwcik... and York .... and then someting with AAA/AAB .....

of course it would be your choice and depending on how you perform you may want to alter that formula.... e.g. 4 top unis and 1 good one.....

honestly

kwl sounds good.
You could maybe consider taking a language, especially as you're interested in current affairs and good at analysis etc. It won't be an easy A-level but it will probably boost your whole application if you apply for something as competitive as Law. Good luck :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by h_a_95

Thanks.

I know that the most competitive universities such as Cambridge tend to favour a wide variety of A level subjects from law applicants particularly sciences, maths and I think English is favoured too.
Reply 19
its not easy to get an A* by any means it just depends how much time you decide to put down in the subject areas

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending