The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

tdg1986
(oh, and with catered you don't have to go shopping once a week to Sainsburys either!!)

What's the problem with that? You're probably 19+...Isn't it time to be more independant? I'm definitely going to take self-catering, because it's cheaper and because, unlike people who have chosen catering, I'll be prepared to enter "real life" where I'll look after myself at least food wise lol. Personally, I think Exeter shouldn't be offering catering (Warwick doesn't do any catering so it's not something uncommon), how will you people manage once you finished uni? You'll remain like little kids who have a brilliant degree but are still waiting for food that will never come...Sorry for being so harsh but I always had in mind that university is what turns a kid into an adult notably due to concepts such as self-sufficiency.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 61
*applauds*
I agree totally. I am inclined to think that going into catered is a lot like boarding school - I find this quite offputting! However, I think that catered halls can have an atmosphere that self-catered halls don't have.
Reply 62
Pravin
What's the problem with that? You're probably 19+...Isn't it time to be more independant? I'm definitely going to take self-catering, because it's cheaper and because, unlike people who have chosen catering, I'll be prepared to enter "real life" where I'll look after myself at least food wise lol. Personally, I think Exeter shouldn't be offering catering (Warwick doesn't do any catering so it's not something uncommon), how will you people manage once you finished uni? You'll remain like little kids who have a brilliant degree but are still waiting for food that will never come...Sorry for being so harsh but I always had in mind that university is what turns a kid into an adult notably due to concepts such as self-sufficiency.

Hmmm. Thats a bit OTT. People choose catered to help them settle in and make new friends easier in a completely new and slightly overwhelming situation like leaving home. Also, they wont live in catered halls for the whole three years, as far as I know you move into student housing in your second and third years where you have plenty of things to think about and be independent, like shopping, bills, cleaning, cooking etc etc.
Reply 63
Yes, but the difference is that people who have done SC in first year will know how to deal with most of these things better than people who have been in catered.
Plus, certainly in Exeter they're talking about reducing the number of catered meals provided as well as increasing the price of catered halls - their value for money is going down by the minute.
leona
People choose catered to help them settle in and make new friends easier in a completely new and slightly overwhelming situation like leaving home.

That's quite a bit of nonsens. In what way is it more difficult to settle in with SC? Of course there's the whole "hall community" bit, but SC can be as good for that since you cook for yourself and help others cook. Uni is definitely a new situation, but defining leaving home as "overwhelming" is too much. When you're 18-19, you should be mature enough to adapt yourself and be self-sufficient. The only reason unis have catering is because a vast majority of students are too lazy to cook and move their arse to buy some food, completely relying on the precious money of their parents (there are still exceptions with those who take part-time jobs to pay for their catering, that's pretty good) . They have all their rights to choose catering (life is easier with it) but I just think that they are wasting part of the whole "uni experience" by not choosing to be independant. I'm an international student and choose to leave my country (switzerland), find a part-time job and go for SC.
Reply 65
I would definitely choose SC - there seems to be a lot of comments about SC being less of a social environment than Halls but I think it would be the other way around - when I went on an accommodation tour the girl leading us said she lived in Halls and had to really leave her door open to meet people - in SC you share a living space with god knows how many others, not to mention the other flats in the same building as you so I think meeting new people would be just as easy as Halls, if not easier. There are also SC building events like Halls though I imagine in Halls there would be more organized partys and stuff. I also think the whole being forced to take care of yourself aspect of SC would be experience worth having if in the second year you move into your own place and have a responsibility shock - I think I’ll have to learn to cook eventually lol so why put it off - isn't the whole point of uni throwing yourself out of your normal routine and gaining a little independence?
Big plus the SC apartments are beautiful! Especially as there seems to be a big option of having your own bathroom which I think is very important.
I can't decide between St Germans (which is good as all four houses are for first years only) or Nash grove which is closer to campus but doesn't have a big scary house near it and hosts postgraduates. Any SC people from Exeter recommend either or?
Reply 66
ku-ness
I can't decide between St Germans (which is good as all four houses are for first years only) or Nash grove which is closer to campus but doesn't have a big scary house near it and hosts postgraduates. Any SC people from Exeter recommend either or?

Not true - at least one flat per St G's building is kept for returners only, and there isn't much difference in the closeness of each residence to campus as they are both ON campus, just on different sides. There are far more rooms in Lafrowda than in both St G's and Nash put together, therefore be prepared for a fight if you want a room in either of those last two.
Even if you do get put in Lafrowda, don't despair. You will save a lot of money, and at the end of the day your flat is just a place to eat, sleep and (possibly) work. The experience that you have is not down to the place but down to you and what you make of it.
Reply 67
Angelil
Yes, but the difference is that people who have done SC in first year will know how to deal with most of these things better than people who have been in catered.
Plus, certainly in Exeter they're talking about reducing the number of catered meals provided as well as increasing the price of catered halls - their value for money is going down by the minute.

but surely people going into self catered/housing in their second year are still in exactly the same position as those who went in in the first year. people adapt quickly and it doesn't take long to work out how to cook/shop for yourself. everyones got to learn at some point some are just choosing to do it a year later, so i don't really see where you're coming from.

when i got my accomodation forms i initially put down 3 self catered options, i already cooked for myself the majority of time at home because my parents were both working, so that wasn't an issue. i just figured that i'd have more choice in what i wanted to eat, and when i wanted to eat it. two weeks before results day i had a change of heart after speaking to my cousin who had just graduated here and she said that people in halls have it so much better socially i.e lots more events, formals, entertainment things and the atmosphere is a lot more friendly cos you're encouraged to interact. the hall bars a really great place too.

i haven't ever regretted my change to catered, its been everything i expected it to be. you have lots of choice at dinner of what you want to eat, and the time its served suits everyone - 5:15 - 6:45 and i'm eating a lot better than some of my self catered counterparts who are living on beans and pasta because they simply can't be bothered to cook properly for themselves. i'm not saying everyone is like this, but it really is worth weighing up the factors, you're gonna be living like that for a year, you don't want to be getting it wrong.

wooooah longness, appologies xx
boho
but surely people going into self catered/housing in their second year are still in exactly the same position as those who went in in the first year. people adapt quickly and it doesn't take long to work out how to cook/shop for yourself.

I don't think they would adapt quickly as you said, they have taken up the "bad habits" of waiting for their to come to them and they will probably take a while before adapting. I would day that you're an exceptional case since you aparently know how to cook and chose halls for the general atmosphere. However, I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of your mates chose to go to halls either because they didn't know how to cook or it just annoyed them to cook i.e they were lazy. Those people are gonna have some rough time once they'll have to cook for themselves whereas first year SC's have already adapted. By taking catering, those people loose the oppurtunity to gain experience and independance. I find it would be quite funny to see a 17-18 year old who chose self-catering be more independant than a 20 year old who's still waiting for his food to come.
Reply 69
boho
two weeks before results day i had a change of heart after speaking to my cousin who had just graduated here and she said that people in halls have it so much better socially i.e lots more events, formals, entertainment things and the atmosphere is a lot more friendly cos you're encouraged to interact. the hall bars a really great place too.

You're right in that halls and SC atmosphere is very different. I'm glad it worked out for you, but it was surely a little short-sighted to rely on one person's opinion of catered halls, even if it was from the uni you were planning to go to. Here, for example, we have a SC Residents' Association and a Lafrowda Soc, so the social scene in SC accommodation is getting better and better. Every uni is different in this regard. (Plus, I'd argue it wasn't too bad in Laffy socially to start with - if one flat had a party, everyone in Laffy was invited, and you're talking several 100 people there!!)

boho
you have lots of choice at dinner of what you want to eat, and the time its served suits everyone - 5:15 - 6:45 and i'm eating a lot better than some of my self catered counterparts who are living on beans and pasta because they simply can't be bothered to cook properly for themselves. i'm not saying everyone is like this, but it really is worth weighing up the factors, you're gonna be living like that for a year, you don't want to be getting it wrong.

I daresay it's not the choice of food that's the problem - rather the quality of it. Mass-produced food is hardly going to be great - off the back of a Brake Bros lorry more like. If you have any cooking ability at all then you'd be daft to go into catered and eat crap food rather than cook much nicer food for yourself in cheaper SC accommodation.
Plus, it's also quite short-sighted to say 'this timing suits everyone' - people who get involved in a lot of societies (like me) are most likely not in at these times and plenty of people like to eat later than this too. To me it just symbolises lack of freedom, and seems more like going to boarding school than to uni.
But hey, respect to you for making an informed choice.
Reply 70
Pravin
I don't think they would adapt quickly as you said, they have taken up the "bad habits" of waiting for their to come to them and they will probably take a while before adapting. I would day that you're an exceptional case since you aparently know how to cook and chose halls for the general atmosphere. However, I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of your mates chose to go to halls either because they didn't know how to cook or it just annoyed them to cook i.e they were lazy. Those people are gonna have some rough time once they'll have to cook for themselves whereas first year SC's have already adapted. By taking catering, those people loose the oppurtunity to gain experience and independance. I find it would be quite funny to see a 17-18 year old who chose self-catering be more independant than a 20 year old who's still waiting for his food to come.

Oh for goodness sake. What difference does it make? They'll become independent in their second year rather than their first year...so? I don't think the mindset of people who choose catered is quite as extreme as your making out, like theyre sitting around letting people wait on them hand and foot. Some people just can't cook, its hardly the crime of the century.
Reply 71
Plenty of people in SC can't cook either - that's part of the fun and they learn faster :smile:
I was in Duryard for half of my first year and a major factor for me moving into SC was the quality of the food. Most of it was really atrocious (finding pieces of tin foil in the desserts, chunks of ham in the chicken kiev, chewy pink chicken that hadn't been cooked properly, heinz beans sauce with pieces of pineapple that posed as "sweet and sour sauce"). And an hour and 15 minutes was too restrictive for me, especially when you had to queue for 20 minutes to get anything.

I liked the cheesecake though.
Reply 73
Ah, I thought you'd turn up :p:
Reply 74
Pravin

Rather narrow minded to say that the only way to grow up is to cook for yourself!!

Warwick does no catered, but pretty much every major university does. There must surely be a reason for this?

How will I survive when I leave uni? Well thats through a combination of having cooked when you move out into private accomodation in the second and third years, balancing finances and making lots of friends!! To be honest I don't really give a stuff about my degree anymore. Yes I want to pass and pass well, but if I don't then so be it. I've learnt a hell of a lot more thats actually relevant!!
Angelil
Ah, I thought you'd turn up :p:

How could I miss a chance to scare potential freshers? :biggrin:
Reply 76
So, which hall are those who have Exeter as their insurance, and then have to take it on, likely to get put in?
Reply 77
I'm definitely going for catered - I'm at a boarding school where the top year cater for themselves, and it's just meant that I never eat anything except eggs or toast, as I never have time to cook myself a decent meal. Judging by the amount English students are supposed to read, I should imagine the same problem would arise if I went self-catered (and I'm FED UP of scrambled eggs!).
Reply 78
Put it this way: if you put Duryard or Lafrowda on your form anywhere, chances are you will get them.
Reply 79
I thought Duryard was being demolished this summer? :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending