The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a.partridge
Well my teacher went to oxford for his undergraduate and didnt make the cut for postgrad so had to go to Southampton.

check
http://www.phy.cam.ac.uk/teaching/teachingfiles/MASt.pdf

it's not offered in chem - don't know why maybe for the reason you said but it is in physics and materials science.

as you can see, students become the same as 4th years on the Msci , taking the same modules and same exams, research to get the MAst.

For this there is only 20 places and you're going up against internationals as well as all the brits from other good british uni's... so the reality of getting a place with a 2.1 or the course going unfilled is... well just not guna happen

Interesting. Relevant to this thread, the requirement for a Part II physics student to progress is only a 2:2!
Original post by illusionz
Interesting. Relevant to this thread, the requirement for a Part II physics student to progress is only a 2:2!

Hrmn yeah, possibly though at my uni I would only need a 2.2 to pass onto next year but all the phd programs will only consider 2.1's and over

so there could be some loyalty factor.

It would be pretty hard telling an imperial physics student with 69 that he knew the same as a cambridge one with 50
Original post by alex_hk90
I get the feeling that there is more opportunity to do work on a consistent basis at American unis, as they continuous test you, so if you are the kind inclined to go on to a postgrad it is easy for you to study all the time. Whereas in the UK we don't tend to have so much assessment and pressure to study except for occasional courseworks and end of year exams.

I wouldn't say that's strictly true. At my university continuous assessment is used quite often I mean yes the final exam counts for the majority of the grade but continuous assessment is very frequent.
Hrmn yeah, possibly though at my uni I would only need a 2.2 to pass onto next year but all the phd programs will only consider 2.1's and over

so there could be some loyalty factor.

It would be pretty hard telling an imperial physics student with 69 that he knew the same as a cambridge one with 50

I'm not sure, the physics guys here have always attributed it to low interest in the Part III course. Both chemistry and materials require 2:1s from 3rd years for Part III (which makes this term really fun for me!!)
Original post by illusionz
I'm not sure, the physics guys here have always attributed it to low interest in the Part III course. Both chemistry and materials require 2:1s from 3rd years for Part III (which makes this term really fun for me!!)

Strange, I would have thought a higher proportion at cambridge would wanna do PhDs since people are supposedly more passionate about the subjects they do.

I hope I do get onto this course so then i can actually do a comparison of the difficulty of the work and the abilities of the students and maybe make a thread about it with some actual substance. Don't care what the result is but would be nice to know
Original post by Nichrome
This is not correct. About 98-99% of Physics Part II students continue to Part III. In my year only 4 left at part II out of about 120. Not sure where the requirements for chemistry and materials come from either, I know of many let onto part III with 2.2s. There are unlimited spaces for students to do Part III physics, this is not the case with chemistry (and possibly materials).

The 2:1 requirement for chemistry is new this year, not sure about materials but my friend does it and they need a 2:1 as well.
Reply 226
1) well at my uni (Bristol) all 4th year modules are officially masters level.

Does that represent the whole world?

2) Can't find a uni that doesn't accept the Msci as prep for PhD

Try harder. Use your 'MSci' brain power.

oxford and cambridge and imperial and others all state it as the usual entrance qualification

Of course you nut crack. These are Unis based in the UK.

US universities recognise UK 3year Bsc = US 4 year

Good work to generalize!

Basically you're talking complete **** so i'm going to ask you do you actually know what an Msci is?

Do you even have a degree yet?

Why do I need to provide you with that information? You're the one who arrogantly puts information out in the space. Burden of proof is with you now.

It's not 'for people that don't HAVE a degree since you have to do the first 3 years (I.e Bsc) to be on it - you simply have not been awarded it until the end.

Do you know how to read and write? This is basically what I wrote.

Just because you don't have a piece of paper saying 1st class Bsc doesn't mean that you didn't just do 3 years of first class work at bachelors level equivalent to the award of Bsc .... and are therefore prepared to take a year of purely masters level units

If I did the third year of my Msci, then dropped out, I would gain a Bsc... It's not diluted.

Which Uni? Only in Bristol? Generalization again?

kka25...

"Integrated master's degree programmes typically include study
equivalent to at least four full-time academic years, of which
study equivalent to at least one full-time academic year is at
level 7. Thus study at bachelor's level is integrated with study
at master's level and the programmes are designed to meet
the level 6 and level 7 qualification descriptors in full."

http://www.qaa.ac.uk/Publications/InformationAndGuidance/Documents/FHEQ08.pdf

Official description...

The UK, Wales and Ireland; that does reflect the whole world doesn't it?

It's quite interesting when I spoke to the senior admission tutor about the difference between the MSc and the MEng and he said that they are of course different; one is a UG degree and one is a PG degree. Then I asked, since the UG and PG Masters are taking almost 100% the same UG course/modules, so what's so significantly different about them that you have to charge more for the MSc students, other then the fact that you just extended their project for a tiny duration?

Senior Admission tutor: <Stumbles>

I LOL at this.

I do know that it all has to do with the fee plans and all e.g. loan, but when you really think about it, the MSc and MSci are nothing but a scam in the UK; just to get money from students specifically international students; and they had to pay astronomical fees just to do a degree that they already have!

An international student I know did an MEng here but when he went back home to do his PhD, he had to do another MSc because his MEng is not qualified as a Masters degree. Unless he got himself a First, then he has no chance of doing a PhD even if he has an MEng.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 227
what about a 1st from oxbridge?
Original post by kka25
Does that represent the whole world?

Try harder. Use your 'MSci' brain power.

Of course you nut crack. These are Unis based in the UK.

Good work to generalize!

Do you even have a degree yet?

Why do I need to provide you with that information? You're the one who arrogantly puts information out in the space. Burden of proof is with you now.

Do you know how to read and write? This is basically what I wrote.

Which Uni? Only in Bristol? Generalization again?

The UK, Wales and Ireland; that does reflect the whole world doesn't it?

It's quite interesting when I spoke to the senior admission tutor about the difference between the MSc and the MEng and he said that they are of course different; one is a UG degree and one is a PG degree. Then I asked, since the UG and PG Masters are taking almost 100% the same UG course/modules, so what's so significantly different about them that you have to charge more for the MSc students, other then the fact that you just extended their project for a tiny duration?

Senior Admission tutor: <Stumbles>

I LOL at this.

I do know that it all has to do with the fee plans and all e.g. loan, but when you really think about it, the MSc and MSci are nothing but a scam in the UK; just to get money from students specifically international students; and they had to pay astronomical fees just to do a degree that they already have!

An international student I know did an MEng here but when he went back home to do his PhD, he had to do another MSc because his MEng is not qualified as a Masters degree. Unless he got himself a First, then he has no chance of doing a PhD even if he has an MEng.

I can't be bothered anymore you're too stupid for words.
If you do an Msc after a Bsc many foreign universities want you to do their own masters before PhD. I don't have to prove it i've already stated universities that comply i.e oxbridge & usa (I don't care about 'all the uni's in the world' - most of them are crap and you're just trying to be awkward) and the official rules whereas, you have not found any evidence for your claims. If you claim there are exceptions to the proven rule, it is you that has to find them you moron. You clearly went to a **** uni if the degree is not being recognised, that's not my fault.

I don't think it's such a scam for me to cover completely new material at a higher level for ~3.5K.

MEng is also the same as MSci fool.
Reply 229
I can't be bothered anymore you're too stupid for words.
If you do an Msc after a Bsc many foreign universities want you to do their own masters before PhD. I don't have to prove it i've already stated universities that comply i.e oxbridge & usa (I don't care about 'all the uni's in the world' - most of them are crap and you're just trying to be awkward) and the official rules whereas, you have not found any evidence for your claims. If you claim there are exceptions to the proven rule, it is you that has to find them you moron. You clearly went to a **** uni if the degree is not being recognised, that's not my fault.

I don't think it's such a scam for me to cover completely new material at a higher level for ~3.5K.

MEng is also the same as MSci fool.

I just :teehee: when I read this post because it just proves your level of education and mentality.
Original post by hothedgehog
You don't see job applications with 'Minimum of 2:1 unless you went to Oxbridge which requires 2:2' do you?

You do get some that say "Oxbridge 2:1, else 1st", someone linked to one on one of the boards the other day.
Original post by DJkG.1
what about a 1st from oxbridge?

wouldn't compensate for having a totally retarded sig file :rolleyes:
Reply 232
Original post by Joinedup
wouldn't compensate for having a totally retarded sig file :rolleyes:

IKR :frown:

my net is so crap that whenever i try and load the page to fix the URLs it wont load :frown:
Reply 233
At the risk of making a massive generalisation:

Oxbridge 3rd - no way in hell
Oxbridge 2:2 - no
Oxbridge 2:1 - depends on the employer

Kapow! I look forward to three months time, when TSR will have this utterly futile debate all over again.
Reply 234
Original post by Bubblyjubbly
Actually, you can get onto almost any postgraduate course if you have a decent amount of experience (MBA) or the funding. So no, there is no fraud in that statement whatsoever although I would be tempted to do my undergraduate studies again with a 3rd so good on him for not doing so. I know of people with thirds who have done postgraduate degrees at Oxbridge.

Really, what courses?
Basically, Oxbridge is generally taken as one grade above the rest, although in some subjects, like maths, it's probably two grades.

I think automatic filters may have eradicated this idea for a lot of the major recruiters. 2:1 means 2:1 whether from the University of Back End of Nowhere or not.
Basically, Oxbridge is generally taken as one grade above the rest, although in some subjects, like maths, it's probably two grades.

What you say is the view of those NOT in the know. These same people think MA (Oxon / Cantab) is a real masters degree!

Even Geoff Parks, the Cambridge admissions director know MA is a load of bull! (Quote in one of the telegraph columns).

As for maths, clearly it's not true. Cambridge has the toughest offer as they require higher grades in STEP, followed by Warwick as they too ask for STEP. Oxford doesn't need STEP as they have their own entry exams (easier than STEP but is also taken earlier) and Imperial ask for high A-Level grades, typically A*A*A / A*A*A*.

The teaching at Imperial demands a lot of self-studying as someone on these forums have remarked and therefore if one were to graduate from there, they might actually have had to work harder / do more self-studying than other graduates and therefore be in higher regard.

Obviously all this is only applicable to those who know something about higher education institutions and their structures.

One such expert, Bill Lionheart has published his findings here:

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/maths_league/2009/
Reply 237
I daresay that many Oxbridge graduates in many subjects are deserving of a Phd
in many cases, I was more assured in my subject than the vast majority of academics at Essex university well before I completed my degree.

I do know of people who failed the first year or left before the end of the first year and ended up with firsts from Imperial, I could even point out a reasonably well-known assistant professor at a well-known university who was in that situation. But carry on frothing at the mouth in ignorance.

You state the 'normal' requirement for Part III, in the vast majority of cases, the 2.1s, on average, end up doing better than the firsts from elsewhere. You then churn out some hilarious extrapolations, not realising that Part III consists of a huge range of topics, many easier than others and there is a big difference between a distinction, merit and a pass.

It would kill me to admit anything - our school exams are some of the worst in the world, STEPs aren't all that either, they're just a damn sight better than A Levels. What you don't know, and what I do, is that any Oxbridge academic in maths will tell you that they have serious problems when recruiting Chinese students, simply because they have done far more maths at 18, the problem is that, in a large number of cases, by the time it gets round to the final year, they tend to lag behind and often end up with the worst grades - I suggest you ask around, it's well known.

The problem is that Oxbridge academics have no idea just how poor degrees outside Oxbridge are. The Cambridge Economics Faculty has realised this, they have found that Oxbridge 2.1s almost invariably outscore firsts from the next best institutions in the MPhil Courses.

Please feel free to resort to 'crap', I know it's all you can manage. Part II Maths and Part III Maths are widely regarded as the toughest maths courses in the world, so you can go on about the Chinese standards as much as you like.

Now try again.

Thank you. I need to hear someone else defending this otherwise I would spend all my days crying in frustration listening to people tell me their 1st from wherever means they're just as good as a Cambridge grad. Some of them are, for sure, but the vast majority would never have got in to Cambridge, let alone got a 1st here. I am fully aware I am disproportionately bitter about this subject and that is because I haven't really enjoyed my mind-crushing slog to get what will probably be a 2:1.
I would like to add that I also know many people who were seen as mediocre or worse at Cambridge, got 2:1s and went on to out-rank basically everyone on their MPhil course. Went from being ignored to being told they were incredibly gifted and talented... achieving higher marks than people who were top of their year in other unis. People with 2:2s here (and one who barely passed) have gone on (in my experience) to get ridiculously impressive jobs (though I have to say they sound boring as hell)... my DoS told me on Saturday about someone he knew who'd left the maths course here because he was used to being the best in the class and was unhappy being mediocre here. He went to Leicester and was top of his year.
I didn't realise this 'debate' was still going on.

but damn,

I daresay that many Oxbridge graduates in many subjects are deserving of a Phd
in many cases
, I was more assured in my subject than the vast majority of academics at Essex university well before I completed my degree.

I do know of people who failed the first year or left before the end of the first year and ended up with firsts from Imperial, I could even point out a reasonably well-known assistant professor at a well-known university who was in that situation. But carry on frothing at the mouth in ignorance.

You state the 'normal' requirement for Part III, in the vast majority of cases, the 2.1s, on average, end up doing better than the firsts from elsewhere. You then churn out some hilarious extrapolations, not realising that Part III consists of a huge range of topics, many easier than others and there is a big difference between a distinction, merit and a pass.

It would kill me to admit anything - our school exams are some of the worst in the world, STEPs aren't all that either, they're just a damn sight better than A Levels. What you don't know, and what I do, is that any Oxbridge academic in maths will tell you that they have serious problems when recruiting Chinese students, simply because they have done far more maths at 18, the problem is that, in a large number of cases, by the time it gets round to the final year, they tend to lag behind and often end up with the worst grades - I suggest you ask around, it's well known.

The problem is that Oxbridge academics have no idea just how poor degrees outside Oxbridge are. The Cambridge Economics Faculty has realised this, they have found that Oxbridge 2.1s almost invariably outscore firsts from the next best institutions in the MPhil Courses.

Please feel free to resort to 'crap', I know it's all you can manage. Part II Maths and Part III Maths are widely regarded as the toughest maths courses in the world, so you can go on about the Chinese standards as much as you like.

Now try again.

That has to be the funniest statement I've ever heard.
Original post by lotsofq
If Oxbridge grads deserve an MA for the BA degrees because you say their standards are that much higher than the rest and yet all the other graduates "only" get a BA, that means all other universities are of IDENTICAL standard. What rubbish is that?

If an Oxbridge maths degree is worth 2 grades more than others, then a 2:2 form Oxbridge is as good as a 1st from elsewhere, a 3rd = 2:1 so a PASS from Oxbridge is as good as a 2:2, meaning anyone FAILING from Oxbridge is as good as a 3rd elsewhere. Yeah that makes sense!

I'm surprised you don't say any Oxbridge undergrad (who has yet to graduate) is as good as a PhD from other places!

To do Part 3 at Cambridge, the normal requirement is a 1st from grads other than Cambridge, 2:1 otherwise.

By your assumption, since an Oxbridge 2:1 is better than a 1st elsewhere, nobody outside Cambridge is good enough for Part 3.

Funny how there ARE people who do pass Part3, some even with distinction, whose first degree were not from Cambridge.

It would kill you to admit the Chinese uni entrance exam, Gaokao is regarded as the hardest in the world, not STEP, where Oxbridge students are made to look ordinary.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peterfoster/10010196/China_exam_season_questions_to_make_you_quail/

You're talking crap and waste people's time and effort trying to make you see sense.

+rep. there are some really weird people posting on this thread. Imo it's best to just not bother.

I think some people can't accept that they can't just ride getting into oxbridge for undergraduate for their whole lives. That's what this is really about. They are the same people that suggest that doing something like postgraduate science at oxbridge is somehow easier than the undergrad -.-

basically instead of achieving higher things they just want to rate higher the thing they already have.

Latest

Trending

Trending