The Student Room Group

How much rent do you pay?

I just wanted to know what was good in terms of rental costs specifically in the west-end areas. My budget right now looks like £400pcm

What your rent is.
The Area.
The cost of bills
The amount of people you share with.

ANOTHER QUESTION:

is it allowed to stuff another student into the living room unbeknownst the landlord?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know this is not entirely relevant - because I don't live in Glasgow but I am from there, I'm in St Andrews currently and will be returning later this year for my clinical years. Just wanted to echo the living alone thing, if you haven't done it yet it's awesome, I wouldn't say I'm overjoyed at the prospect of being alone but I like my own company and there is definitely less stress when you don't have to deal with other peoples mess/noise/drama. St Andrews is mega expensive though and my rent is £640 a month, when I get back to Glasgow I'm hoping to get a place for about £500ish, maybe a tad more, but I've been looking a lot lately and there doesn't really seem to be many that were as cheap as I was hoping. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by leemkule
I know this is not entirely relevant - because I don't live in Glasgow but I am from there, I'm in St Andrews currently and will be returning later this year for my clinical years. Just wanted to echo the living alone thing, if you haven't done it yet it's awesome, I wouldn't say I'm overjoyed at the prospect of being alone but I like my own company and there is definitely less stress when you don't have to deal with other peoples mess/noise/drama. St Andrews is mega expensive though and my rent is £640 a month, when I get back to Glasgow I'm hoping to get a place for about £500ish, maybe a tad more, but I've been looking a lot lately and there doesn't really seem to be many that were as cheap as I was hoping. :frown:

I've found a place for £430, but I shant say more lest you take it from right under my nose.

Literally been organising viewings and my aftrenoon the flats have gone, pressurises you into making a rash decision or recoiling and not making a decision at all.

FML.
Too much!
Reply 4
Original post by ipulledhermione
I've found a place for £430, but I shant say more lest you take it from right under my nose.

Literally been organising viewings and my aftrenoon the flats have gone, pressurises you into making a rash decision or recoiling and not making a decision at all.

FML.

Heh, not to worry, I've just been looking at general prices I'm not moving till June.
Reply 5

FML.

This is my advice for renting in Glasgow

- Don't trust the landlord - ever- no matter how nice they seem they are almost certainly a lying bastard

- If the landlord says something will be fixed for you moving in, it won't be. Deal with this fact and move on.

- Seriously consider not paying your final months rent and just telling the landlord to keep the deposit.
Original post by NoCommentMan
Too much!

So it seems, I may just have to give up on wanting my own place and move in with friends... so costly! I suppose it's a mixture of luck and compromise tbh

Original post by Norton1
This is my advice for renting in Glasgow

- Don't trust the landlord - ever- no matter how nice they seem they are almost certainly a lying bastard

- If the landlord says something will be fixed for you moving in, it won't be. Deal with this fact and move on.

- Seriously consider not paying your final months rent and just telling the landlord to keep the deposit.

Why the last bit? I'm scared. . .
Reply 7
So it seems, I may just have to give up on wanting my own place and move in with friends... so costly! I suppose it's a mixture of luck and compromise tbh

Why the last bit? I'm scared. . .

Because reasonably often you move out and then the landlord claims they had to have it professionally cleaned/ replace items/ you broke things etc etc and since they already have the money off you it's a long process to get it back if indeed you ever do. This is also why you should take lots of photos the day you move in and the day you leave to show you haven't broken stuff and why if they give you a manifest of things that they claim are in the flat you should look at it really carefully.

What your rent is. £450 + £75 factors fee
The Area. Dennistoun
The cost of bills £60 DD for the electricity, £19 for internet & phone
The amount of people you share with. 1, my boyfriend

Hope that helps.
We're in a brand new flat. I actually own it, but pay that "rent" to my mum because she lent me some money to help buy the flat. It's the same price the factors charge to rent a flat in my building anyway (All the rental flats are owned by the factors).
Previously we were in an old tenament in the drives in Dennistoun. Bills were a lot higher because of single glazing and damp. The flat was bigger, but it was unnecessarily big.
Edit: We were paying £475/month at the old flat, but there was no factors fee
Which brings me to another thing, always ask about factors, it is a little bit more money, but it's nice to have a clean, well lit close.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
When I lived in Glasgow, I had a city centre flat on Clyde st, 2 of us sharing for £290 a month each. I seemed to cope okay financially back then, i'm not sure how given I struggle nowadays.
Considering going back to do my PGDE...wouldnt want to stay in Uni accommodation though..I need my home comforts now that, at 24, I'm technically old and would be a 'mature student'. Assume I wouldnt have to pay council tax?
I used to live in Partick and paid £350 a month in rent, about £27 a month for electricity and gas, and £10 for tv and internet.

The above was my share of the bills. There were three of us so actual rent per month was £1050 etc.
I just wanted to know what was good in terms of rental costs specifically in the west-end areas. My budget right now looks like £400pcm

What your rent is.
The Area.
The cost of bills
The amount of people you share with.

ANOTHER QUESTION:

is it allowed to stuff another student into the living room unbeknownst the landlord?

I actually pulled hermione, Ipulledhermione. :cool:
480pcm
London
:sad:
Original post by SoulfulBoy
480pcm
London
:sad:

That's a lot of rent on the London Road!
:tongue:

This is a Glasgow thread silly.
Reply 14
About the living room part, even though you're not allowed, the landlord has to give you notice before they come round (24 hours I think) so you have time to spread the living room person's stuff around the flat and get rid of them for the visit. My friend's in a flat for 4 people but they had a massive, pointless dining room that now sleeps an extra 2 :smile:
Original post by conway!
About the living room part, even though you're not allowed, the landlord has to give you notice before they come round (24 hours I think) so you have time to spread the living room person's stuff around the flat and get rid of them for the visit. My friend's in a flat for 4 people but they had a massive, pointless dining room that now sleeps an extra 2 :smile:

And those extra 2 are not paying anything? :eek:
Reply 16
£525 split between myself and my gf for a relatively large and relatively new 2-bedroom flat in North Kelvinside, just off Queen Margaret Drive. Internet and phone are £16 and the electricity can be anywhere between £60 in the summer months and £80/90 in the winter months. No gas in the flat, all electric. That's it for monthly utilities bills for us, but then there is things like TV licence, etc.

Having other people live: It's not allowed unless the landlord specifically gives you the authority to sublet part of the flat, but unless there are additional bedrooms in the flat, this is unlikely, and even if you do have additional bedrooms most landlords like to have as few people as possible living in their properties for the purposes of wear and tear, plus if they have more than a certain number living in their flat then they need to have a HMO licence and additional insurance, etc. So in most cases it is not worth their while to allow subletting.

If you were a single person in a two bedroom flat, or a couple in a two bedroom flat sharing just one of the bedrooms then the landlord may allow it if you ask.

You can't do it without their permission, although there is a requirement for landlords to give you 24 hours notice before visiting the flat for an inspection, so it may be possible to risk it and simply hide the additional luggage of the other person in time for the visit... although the neighbours may well notice the additional people if there is additional noise, etc, and if they complain then it's likely your landlord will terminate the lease and get rid of you.

It's really not worth it to breach the terms of your tenancy agreement.
Reply 17
RE factoring fees: it is a legal requirement for the LANDLORD to pay for any factoring required for the property, so do not accept it if a landlord to attempts to shift that fee onto your expenses... although they might well do it simply by inflating the rent without telling you this is being done, in which case you can't really argue. But if they set your rent and then ask for a factor's fee in addition to that, you can tell them where to shove it.

It may also be important to note that it's illegal for letting agencies to charge you for things like credit checks, and other stealth fees, although the behaviour is rife amongst letting agencies. We were charged £180 to have our credit report checked by our letting agency, and in reality they should be paying for that as it is a business expense. Many letting agencies don't even conduct the search, they simply charge you for the credit checks, but never actually perform them... another con to be wary of.

It's also illegal for a landlord to request more than 1.5x the monthly rent for a deposit, so be wary of that too.
Reply 18
Original post by SoulfulBoy
And those extra 2 are not paying anything? :eek:

They're all paying, but not as much as the rest because they don't have proper beds and they have to share.
Original post by oo00oo
RE factoring fees: it is a legal requirement for the LANDLORD to pay for any factoring required for the property, so do not accept it if a landlord to attempts to shift that fee onto your expenses... although they might well do it simply by inflating the rent without telling you this is being done, in which case you can't really argue. But if they set your rent and then ask for a factor's fee in addition to that, you can tell them where to shove it.

It may also be important to note that it's illegal for letting agencies to charge you for things like credit checks, and other stealth fees, although the behaviour is rife amongst letting agencies. We were charged £180 to have our credit report checked by our letting agency, and in reality they should be paying for that as it is a business expense. Many letting agencies don't even conduct the search, they simply charge you for the credit checks, but never actually perform them... another con to be wary of.

It's also illegal for a landlord to request more than 1.5x the monthly rent for a deposit, so be wary of that too.

Thanks for all the info. I've signed for a flat. I bit the bullet and took it with friends in the end, despite the fact that I really want one on my own. The cost is too good to say no to.

I live in Uni practically. I can get to the library in less than 60 seconds. It's a bit weird tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest