The Student Room Group

St Dominics Sixth form College in harrow

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by foreverisover
guys, i went to St Dominic's, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to quote me here and i'll try and help you.

Hey:smile:
Would you say the teaching quality is good? And how would you describe the atmosphere of the school? Are the teachers there to help you, and run after school sessions? Generally, how are the students there? Are they friendly? And is the school multicultural?
Reply 181
Original post by ibs007
Hey guys,

I am a current student at St. Doms in year 13! Feel free to ask me any questions in private or on this thread! Happy to help.

:biggrin:

Hello :smile:
Would you say the teaching quality is good? And how would you describe the atmosphere of the school? Are the teachers there to help you, and run after school sessions? Generally, how are the students there? Are they friendly? And is the school multicultural?
Reply 182
Guys I don't know what to do! I got in to St Doms, but none of my friends are going there, and I got in to another good school with alot of my friends going there. Both schools are good, but I'm more familiar with the other school. WHAT DO I DO? :frown: I really want to go to both..
Reply 183
Original post by surb2pin
I got an offer from both St doms n watford girls. Does any1 hv any advice on what they would choose. Its a really tough decision. :frown:

I'm in a similar situation and I don't know what to do :frown:
My GPA was 8. Yes I want to go 2 st doms n watford, they're both good schools. Im glad u got ur first choice. Btw if they Watford said they had a place 4 you would you give up ur place 4 St. Doms and go there instead?:smile:

Your GPA is soo high if I get really good grades at GCSE I might get into Watford
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Monkeys!
Guys I don't know what to do! I got in to St Doms, but none of my friends are going there, and I got in to another good school with alot of my friends going there. Both schools are good, but I'm more familiar with the other school. WHAT DO I DO? :frown: I really want to go to both..

Hey which was the other school that you got in???
Reply 186
Original post by misssbs18
Hey which was the other school that you got in???

Twyford, have you heard of it?
Reply 187
Original post by Midnight-Sky-Blue
Hey, I know I'm a randomer to the thread but I always nose through threads to do with places local to me and I just saw this, haha!

But hmmm, I think you really need to think about this decision but since I went to Watford Girls and I had a lot of friends who went to St Doms, I thought maybe I could help a little - but haha, what I have to say may be useless but you can decide :smile:

There are many pros to St Doms and the main one is the freedom. I was at Watford since year 7, so I was used to the style of it, but one thing a lot of the news girls said who came in for Sixth Form said that it was too restrictive. Like you can't leave during frees and there's a uniform (although I preferred that as thinking up things to wear everyday for Uni is hell) and also the teachers expect you to work. Yeah, they're a bit more lax in Sixth Form, but they still treat you less like adults than in St Doms. So if you want more responsibility with your education, Doms would be better. They also are more open to other choices at St Doms, whereas at Watford, it's kind of a given that you're going to Uni. Yeah, they talk a little about other options, but pretty much everyone leaves with a Uni place or a few take a gap year. I don't know anyone in my year who isn't at Uni or on a gap year (I just finished last year).

Watford does have pros too though - the teachers are incredibly dedicated and from what I've heard, the teaching is of a higher standard. Some girls left to go to St Doms and then complained to us who stayed that the teaching there was just not as good a quality and that the teachers weren't as keen about their subjects, whereas at Watford, teachers will happily spend hours of their time, giving you extra tuition just because they want you to do well, not for extra pay. Like my Maths teacher used to teach us Uni Maths after School if we wanted to go and it was all in his free time. Of course, this may not be true about the teaching standard at Doms, but it's just what I've heard. Watford also tends to be a better environment to study in - we all used to help each other do well and motivate each other, whereas my friends at other Sixth Forms, such as Doms, generally found that people tended to be more selfish with helping each other. All of the new girls also blended in really well, especially as we do lots of crazy events that kind of band people together with a whole day dedicated to 'Disney Day' or 'Harry Potter Day', so haha, as it's connected to the main School, there are a lot of childish but really fun events that go on all year round. The only thing is, there is a limit - like Muck Up Day was quite controlled and I'm sure that would be more fun at Doms.

So yeah, Watford has generally a better reputation and a better teaching standard but Doms trains you more for life with a more adult attitude to their students and also it's mixed, which is something that a lot of people prefer over a single-sex School. So yeah, tough choice xD But really, both are good and you should do well wherever you go if you're determined enough :smile:

Thank you soo much. It was sooo kind of you to dedicate so much time into writing a really long detalied response, when you dont even hv to. It was the best advice I have received from any1 and will really help me in deciding which sch 2 go to. Its really gd 2 hear that new people who moved 2 Watford fitted in and were accepted. That was one of my biggest concerns. I think Ive made my mind up now and I'm gonna go 2 Watford as the teachers seem really helpful and studying and academics are a big decision factor for me.

Thanks again,

I hope you're enjoying uni n studying a course that you really enjoy :smile:
Reply 188

I'm in a similar situation and I don't know what to do :frown:

Its soo tough. What schs did u get in2? :smile:
Thank you soo much. It was sooo kind of you to dedicate so much time into writing a really long detalied response, when you dont even hv to. It was the best advice I have received from any1 and will really help me in deciding which sch 2 go to. Its really gd 2 hear that new people who moved 2 Watford fitted in and were accepted. That was one of my biggest concerns. I think Ive made my mind up now and I'm gonna go 2 Watford as the teachers seem really helpful and studying and academics are a big decision factor for me.

Thanks again,

I hope you're enjoying uni n studying a course that you really enjoy :smile:

Ahhh, no worries :smile: A lot of my friends made the wrong decision about Sixth Form and I'd hate for others to do that if I can help. :smile:

I hope you enjoy Watford and just try to embrace it :smile: A lot of new girls struggle with the fact that it's very much like School still while their friends went off to colleges where they were treated more like adults, but they do treat you like an adult at Watford if you show you deserve it and work hard :smile: Oh, and if you do Maths, you're going to love those teachers! Officially the craziest people ever xD But yeah, there are like 50 new girls for Sixth Form and they're all really welcomed! :smile:

Also if you ever want any advice, even when you start, feel free to PM me! I know a lot of hints to soften up the teachers, haha!

And thank you - I'm absolutely loving Uni :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190
Can anyone answer my question please.. is this £150 payment for St Dominics compulsory? Even if you are in a situation where you are not sure about where you are going until results day and the deadline for st dominics is 20th April- will i be able to accept the offer without the payment???!!
Hello :smile:

yes, it is multicultural and we had foreign exchange students from Italy as well, but as the others mentioned, you can find the college racially divided, especially the canteen. the Asian students used to sit on the left hand side, and the white ones on the right hand side, but i would say that the atmosphere was generally pleasant because none of us took 'the division' seriously. so honestly, i wouldn't worry about that.

i found the teaching quality excellent, especially in my second year, because we really got lots of help with all the UCAS stuff. the teachers are generally happy to help, and yes, we used to have after-school workshop sessions, where you could see your teachers on individual basis (sometimes you needed to make an appoitment the day before), but i think they've changed it now and the workshops happen during lunch times. the lunch is 1 hour, so you had time to eat as well. we had revision classes too and received tones of past papers when it came to exams, so really, i'd say that the teaching quality was excellent, as the teachers really DID want you to succeed and do well in your exams. god, i miss st doms. i had amazing two years there.
yes, it is multicultural and we had foreign exchange students from Italy as well, but as the others mentioned, you can find the college racially divided, especially the canteen. the Asian students used to sit on the left hand side, and the white ones on the right hand side, but i would say that the atmosphere was generally pleasant because none of us took 'the division' seriously. so honestly, i wouldn't worry about that.

i found the teaching quality excellent, especially in my second year, because we really got lots of help with all the UCAS stuff. the teachers are generally happy to help, and yes, we used to have after-school workshop sessions, where you could see your teachers on individual basis (sometimes you needed to make an appoitment the day before), but i think they've changed it now and the workshops happen during lunch times. the lunch is 1 hour, so you had time to eat as well. we had revision classes too and received tones of past papers when it came to exams, so really, i'd say that the teaching quality was excellent, as the teachers really DID want you to succeed and do well in your exams. god, i miss st doms. i had amazing two years there.

How well do people settle there? In particular, people who didn't come from Sacred Heart or Salvatorian.
Original post by HistoryNerdx
How well do people settle there? In particular, people who didn't come from Sacred Heart or Salvatorian.

well, i guess it depends on the individual. i didn't know anyone when i went there, so the first few days were a bit awkward, but i did manage to make some friends eventually. but generally, the sacred heart/salvo people tend to stick together, same goes for park high/whitmore high students, and then there is everyone else. this is a HUGE generalisation though, because whereas some people preferred to stay within their high school friendship groups, some wanted to make new friends.
Reply 194

Thank you so much for answering my questions:smile: that really helped,
The thing is, if i were to go to st doms, i would be the only one to go there from my school, and that's one thing that scares me because all my friends are going to different schools, do you think i'll get on well, and be able to make friends quickly?
The thing is, if i were to go to st doms, i would be the only one to go there from my school, and that's one thing that scares me because all my friends are going to different schools, do you think i'll get on well, and be able to make friends quickly?

i was the only one to go there from my high school too - the first few days were a bit awkward but then i did manage to make some friends eventually. you probably know that the majority of people in st doms come from sacred heart/salvo, and those people generally tend to stick together in their little friend groups, but there were plenty of other people from different schools too - who like me didn't know anyone or were simply trying to make new friends. as long as you're a nice person, you'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 196
Original post by Midnight-Sky-Blue
Ahhh, no worries :smile: A lot of my friends made the wrong decision about Sixth Form and I'd hate for others to do that if I can help. :smile:

I hope you enjoy Watford and just try to embrace it :smile: A lot of new girls struggle with the fact that it's very much like School still while their friends went off to colleges where they were treated more like adults, but they do treat you like an adult at Watford if you show you deserve it and work hard :smile: Oh, and if you do Maths, you're going to love those teachers! Officially the craziest people ever xD But yeah, there are like 50 new girls for Sixth Form and they're all really welcomed! :smile:

Also if you ever want any advice, even when you start, feel free to PM me! I know a lot of hints to soften up the teachers, haha!

And thank you - I'm absolutely loving Uni :smile:

I'm doing maths and that is great 2 hear. Thanks its gr8 2 get advice from some1 who went 2 Watford :smile: Do u know if the English teachers and R.S teachers r good?
I'm doing maths and that is great 2 hear. Thanks its gr8 2 get advice from some1 who went 2 Watford :smile: Do u know if the English teachers and R.S teachers r good?

Ahh, love love love the Maths teachers! :smile: The head of year is absolutely insane - he recently did a 24hr Maths lesson to raise money for charity, haha, but yeah, all of the teachers are really keen!

The RS teachers are pretty good too - they definitely teach you everything to a very high standard and their department gets some of the best results in the School. The head of department can be a bit annoying, but she's nice enough. But if you get Mrs Smith as you're teacher, you'll have a great time - officially the scariest but most hilarious woman ever!

And yeah, the English department are all great too - off their heads with craziness, but they're all really keen and definitely listen to your feedback, like if you ask to study a certain book or want to go to see a play, they'll do their best to sort it out for you.

But yeah, if you have any more questions, I don't mind answering them - but God, I miss WGGS :frown:
Twyford, have you heard of it?

Nope have not heard about it, where is it located???

Hey all my friends are going to different schools and no one I know is going to St doms, but I think that there will be loads of people to make new friends with

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending