The Student Room Group

Rejected from KFC??

Ok, I'm on a gap year. I'm trying to find a job - not a particularly demanding job, not necessarily full-time, just something to get me out of the house and get a bit of money coming in.

I've been looking for a job since October and have been receiving job seeker's allowance. The job centre keeps suggesting jobs that are usually really far away and I have commitments some days in the evenings. So I've been looking for jobs in nearly every shop i can think of, loads of supermarkets, telesales jobs, local shops, applied to a midday assistant job in a primary school. Rejected from all I've applied to or there are just none available.

So, I looked on the KFC website and there was a part-time position open in a KFC really close to where I live. I applied - the application process was easy enough - just a survey like 'what would you do in [insert situation]', would people describe you as [insert characteristic]. I responded honestly (I'm a very trustworthy person, work hard, etc but obviously not gonna big myself up cos that looks fake).

So, I put in my availability - said I'm available to work starting Monday, that I can work from 9:00am (although KFC doesn't open till 11:00) till 5/6 pm. I don't have any previous job experience because I've never had a job before. Said I wanted to work minimum 10 hours per week and max 30 hours per week.

So I finish the application and send it off and literally minutes later I get an email saying my application has been unsuccessful. Wth did I do wrong?? I do not understand why my application was rejected so quickly - it's like they didn't even look at it!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inadilemma

So I finish the application and send it off and literally minutes later I get an email saying my application has been unsuccessful. Wth did I do wrong?? I do not understand why my application was rejected so quickly - it's like they didn't even look at it!

If your application is rejected this quickly it's because of something automated. It could be they were looking for specific responses for certain questions. If there were multiple choice questions, they probably had 'correct' answers. Maybe your availability wasn't enough. Maybe it said 'experience is essential' and so rejected it automatically when you said you had no experience. Maybe they have had too many applications already and aren't accepting any more.

But you're right that they didn't look at it. Most vacancies have a person specification split into 'essential' and 'desirable'. If your application doesn't meet all of the essential ones it will get rejected. When you do applications online, this is done virtually immediately when you click submit.
Reply 2
Maybe there is no jobs at the branch you applied to?
What Minimalist said. In fact, my guess would be that they've either already filled the position and just haven't had the ad taken down yet, or that they're looking for someone for a single shift so your 10-hour minimum was no good.
Original post by Minimalist__
If your application is rejected this quickly it's because of something automated. It could be they were looking for specific responses for certain questions. If there were multiple choice questions, they probably had 'correct' answers. Maybe your availability wasn't enough. Maybe it said 'experience is essential' and so rejected it automatically when you said you had no experience. Maybe they have had too many applications already and aren't accepting any more.

But you're right that they didn't look at it. Most vacancies have a person specification split into 'essential' and 'desirable'. If your application doesn't meet all of the essential ones it will get rejected. When you do applications online, this is done virtually immediately when you click submit.

You're right. It is automated. I know someone who has applied to something similar and got rejected straight off. He said he thinks it's to do with him having no experience. Which having heard this, I think is true.
Reply 5
Original post by Illuminated_A
Aren't people supposed to do something constructive on a gap year that'll make them see the world differently. I know people that have travelled, worked in south America etc. and then there's you, sitting at home, unemployed and on job seekers. Lol some gap year!!

nope a gap year can be used to experience life outside education

which this person is obviously doing by trying to get experience in a job

please return to your family and there obvoius money and stop bothering us real people tory ****
You managed to send the application.

Therefore you were overqualified.
Reply 7
Original post by ConnorB
You managed to send the application.

Therefore you were overqualified.

LOL! :laugh:
Reply 8
Original post by inadilemma
Ok, I'm on a gap year. I'm trying to find a job - not a particularly demanding job, not necessarily full-time, just something to get me out of the house and get a bit of money coming in.

I've been looking for a job since October and have been receiving job seeker's allowance. The job centre keeps suggesting jobs that are usually really far away and I have commitments some days in the evenings. So I've been looking for jobs in nearly every shop i can think of, loads of supermarkets, telesales jobs, local shops, applied to a midday assistant job in a primary school. Rejected from all I've applied to or there are just none available.

So, I looked on the KFC website and there was a part-time position open in a KFC really close to where I live. I applied - the application process was easy enough - just a survey like 'what would you do in [insert situation]', would people describe you as [insert characteristic]. I responded honestly (I'm a very trustworthy person, work hard, etc but obviously not gonna big myself up cos that looks fake).

So, I put in my availability - said I'm available to work starting Monday, that I can work from 9:00am (although KFC doesn't open till 11:00) till 5/6 pm. I don't have any previous job experience because I've never had a job before. Said I wanted to work minimum 10 hours per week and max 30 hours per week.

KFC has a scoring system on their application apparently (I asked a manager after I applied and was rejected like you), so if you dont answer with 'strongly agree/disagree' then you will be unlikely to score enough to pass the survey. :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST25i
I'm not too sure, but in the store that I used to work in, we used to filter applications to seek the ideal candidate(s), meaning that, if there were a lot of application forms, we had to automatically reject applicants who didn't have experience.

Maybe this is what happened in your case?
Original post by Rosa Arabelle
I'm not too sure, but in the store that I used to work in, we used to filter applications to seek the ideal candidate(s), meaning that, if there were a lot of application forms, we had to automatically reject applicants who didn't have experience.

Maybe this is what happened in your case?

Really? Wow, that's terrible :frown:
With fast food chains always take your CV into the store.
The managers generally dont check the online applications I find, whilst anybody who turns up and hands a CV in gains a fair chance.
As shown by the large number of people who I know that got taken on without experience and studying still :smile:
there's 2 types of KFC. franchise (someone has bought a licence), where taking in a cv works just fine and if they have vacs, and you get an interview, you start straight away.

the 2nd type is 'company' (working for kfc proper) - the application procedure for these guys is longer. online application/sift first, then if you get thru and there's vacs, they invite you in for a group assessment followed by interview.

sounds like the reason you were rejected was because you did not fit their profile - in the way u answered the Qs. kfc will train you so i dunno about offices sifting and rejecting on the strength of lack of exp, but i do know that the initial questions need to be answered the correct way for you to progress :smile: - in short...doesn't sound as tho it was lack of exp that did it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Aren't people supposed to do something constructive on a gap year that'll make them see the world differently. I know people that have travelled, worked in south America etc. and then there's you, sitting at home, unemployed and on job seekers. Lol some gap year!!

It doesn't matter what you do in a gap year. Ideally you do need to do something constructive, but I've been on JSA for the whole of my gap year as it's very hard to get a job at the moment. I imagine the OP is in a similar situation.
Original post by kopite493

please return to your family and there obvoius money and stop bothering us real people tory ****

Lol my family don't have "obvious money". I'm intrigued how you know I'm tory. Well, I was, until they bent over for the liberals. for 2015 I'm toying between Tory again or UKIP. What about you?
I have a question about KFC!

I did the online application a week ago and got an e-mail saying I passed :biggrin:
At the bottom of the e-mail it said 'the manager will contact you in the next week if they have something suitable'.

Well yeah, it's been a week and still no reply back in any shape or form :frown:
And they are still doing the vacancies for this branch on the website so I doubt they're full unless they haven't updated it in a whole week.

So should I just hang in there and keep waiting for a reply or do something?
Reply 16
Original post by SteBrazier95
I have a question about KFC!

I did the online application a week ago and got an e-mail saying I passed :biggrin:
At the bottom of the e-mail it said 'the manager will contact you in the next week if they have something suitable'.

Well yeah, it's been a week and still no reply back in any shape or form :frown:
And they are still doing the vacancies for this branch on the website so I doubt they're full unless they haven't updated it in a whole week.

So should I just hang in there and keep waiting for a reply or do something?

Way to steal the thread..
Don't see any 'The KFC Thread's so I'm sure this will be fine.
Lol my family don't have "obvious money". I'm intrigued how you know I'm tory. Well, I was, until they bent over for the liberals. for 2015 I'm toying between Tory again or UKIP. What about you?

i apoligize for the abrubtness of my comment it just annoys me when people assume that travelling during a gap year is the easiest thing to do
i wouldn't even say its the best thing, no point knowing about other cultres if you cant even survive properly in your own

knowing what people vote is a rather unique quality of mine which i get correct 90% of the time lol

a0they didnt bend over for the libs it was the reverse which is why i no longer vote them

i am toying with green party but im not sure it wont be any of the big three though not as long as nick clegg is running for the libs at thevery least
and i cant stand the useless attitude of the labour or the blame everyone else attitude of the tories
Original post by kopite493

:fatcontroller:

Peasant alert.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending