The Student Room Group

Most annoying thing people do at University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
My 2 cents:
- leaving empty shampoo bottles in the shower, so when I'm hungover/tired I fall over them
- leaving food to go mouldy in the fridge. I never realised how bad gone off carrots smell until last year
- when I had a phase of buying muller crunch corners, and someone ALWAYS ate my toffee hoops. GUTTED
- using all my tabasco sauce in some drunk cooking experiment then putting the empty bottle back in the box thinking I wouldn't notice.
- making a **** mess of the hallway
- people complaining about mess, then not doing their own washing up for 3 days

BUT I can't complain about some things:
Going out when you're skint, begged my mum to put £3 in my bank account so I could withdraw £20 and go out. Payday was 3 days away.
Complaining about hangover/ still being drunk the next day - guilty. Made Global politics seminars at 10am on a friday morning much easier to attend!
Finishing an essay at 5am (after getting back from a night out) going to bed, getting up, handing it in and getting a first. BOOYA
Reply 181
#1 has to be on campus students who roll out of bed to lectures and then talk. I have a 40 minute trek to my uni each day...... I want it to be worth it!
Original post by chronic_fatigue
Are you at university? Some of the things people have complained about are shocking and quite horrible. I don't care what people spend their loan on but it gets annoying when they spend it on rubbish then beg you for money and when you refuse they stop talking to you/give you the silent treatment. I have had so many problems with people I live with and I told them and it has made the life worse for me plus they don't really care so they haven't changed, so I understand why some people choose not to say anything.

Some of the things are shocking and horrible, but I think the poster was talking about the few that weren't. Eg I've seen a post on here before complaining about an alarm that went off at 7am on a weekday morning. How else do you get up for a 9am lecture?
Reply 183
Wow, it sounds like some people have been really unlucky about who they're living with :frown:

For all the people not yet at university, it isn't always like that!!!

The people I live with (and everyone I know says the same thing) are all lovely. However, this may be because we live in a small flat (7 people). So I think it is less likely for things to be stolen/lots of mess etc.

So if you're worried about moving into university accommodation, choose accommodation with small kitchen groups.
Original post by olivia_w92

Original post by olivia_w92
I've never seen a conversation about salt carry on for so long...

Anyway, people who literally type a script of what the lecturer is saying rather than note-taking.

What's wrong with this? :s-smilie: I'm a fast typer so I generally try and essentially dictate what the lecturer is saying - it just means you have more comprehensive, meaningful notes. I don't understand how this possibly affects other people.
Original post by Antifazian
Seminars are the most pointless, absolute waste of time. FYI I would leave if they weren't compulsory.

I don't see how an hour of awkward text book regurgitation is going to give me the "interpersonal skills" to get a job.

I was reffering to the fact that they all negged without even one quoting me to disagree.
Reply 186
I'm a bit of a bad student to live with, I'll admit that. My cleanliness isn't the best, but when someone is sick on the stairs and refuses to accept responsibility or clean it now that really grinds my gears.

I also hate people who rely on 'daddy' to finance their way through university despite wasting their money on top brand food and clothes. You waste the loan given to you by the government on absolute crap, and resort to your parents for paying accommodation. Learn to budget properly or you'll never make it in the real word.

Another thing, when students try something new to 'broaden their horizon' that really pisses me off. Eating Greek food won't change you as a person, now please shut up about it. And no, I don't want to hear about how you paid to volunteer in Uganda for two weeks, and made the world of difference.

People who get a 1st in their exams but don't have any common sense and don't know how to fry mince. Or cook pasta. Or clean a plate. Toast and cereal is as far their culinary expertise goes.

I could go on all day really, I don't really like your stereotypical student. In fact I hate them.
Original post by The Phelps
So I'm going to University next academic year. Grades provided of course!

So I would like to know what one thing people do at University that they didn't do in school/college that's really annoying.

E.g. Typing loudly in lectures; Stealing your food from the fridge; Pretending like they don't care about their results.

One guy who I went to Uni with was very disturbing and every night he would start howling and pounding on my door. It was actually very scary, but I later found out that he had night terrors....:banghead:
Original post by dirtyoldriver
What's wrong with this? :s-smilie: I'm a fast typer so I generally try and essentially dictate what the lecturer is saying - it just means you have more comprehensive, meaningful notes. I don't understand how this possibly affects other people.

Why would you need to dictate everything your lecturer says? A good note-taker will extract what's important and write that.

Anyway, it affects me because its an endless tyrade of tapping and if everybody is doing it the noise can be quite off-putting.
Reply 189
There is one girl in my lecture who always brings her ipad in to make notes on and always shows it off to random people she sits next to. Then when its halfway through the lecture and nobody is commenting on her ipad, she starts faffing about with it and showing it off again, i once saw her turn around and ask the person behind her if they wanted to take a closer look at it.

Also, ive moved out of halls now as i couldnt stand it any longer. but the guy in the room next to mine used to watch this comedy on DVD all the time, have it really loud, and when there was a funny part he used to bang on the wall that we shared while laughing at the top of his lungs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190
People around me in lectures who take notes on laptops/ipads.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ANNOYING TAPPY NOISE IS HIGHLY DISTRACTING FUUUUUU
Original post by Lucyyy
People around me in lectures who take notes on laptops/ipads.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU ANNOYING TAPPY NOISE IS HIGHLY DISTRACTING FUUUUUU

This is why I used a dictaphone. Much quieter and easier to use.
Original post by LaBelleEtLeBete
Same! :frown:
I don't understand why people do courses that they obviously have no interest in.

so that they can get a job
Reply 193
When some of the students which don't have any lectures during the day complain and make a huge deal about the essay that was given to them 5 weeks ago and is due in tomorrow that they have not started on yet.

I ca't understand how they are so behind when i have a full week of lectures plus coursework and lab reports to do every week....and i have no problems meeting the deadlines :confused:
People talking really pisses me off! In one of our lecture theatres there are no microphones so we have to concentrate really hard to hear what the lecturer is saying (even if you sit relatively close to the front) and then someone near you just starts talking in that loud whisper that people sometimes do.

What's more is there are people who randomly just say 'OMG this is easy, why is this being taught' aimed at not one person but everyone sitting around them. I often think if you find it so easy then don't come to lectures and complain about it. The topics that will be covered in a certain lecture are posted online so if you know it why come just to disrupt others?
Original post by Swanbow
I'm a bit of a bad student to live with, I'll admit that. My cleanliness isn't the best, but when someone is sick on the stairs and refuses to accept responsibility or clean it now that really grinds my gears.

I also hate people who rely on 'daddy' to finance their way through university despite wasting their money on top brand food and clothes. You waste the loan given to you by the government on absolute crap, and resort to your parents for paying accommodation. Learn to budget properly or you'll never make it in the real word.

Another thing, when students try something new to 'broaden their horizon' that really pisses me off. Eating Greek food won't change you as a person, now please shut up about it. And no, I don't want to hear about how you paid to volunteer in Uganda for two weeks, and made the world of difference.

People who get a 1st in their exams but don't have any common sense and don't know how to fry mince. Or cook pasta. Or clean a plate. Toast and cereal is as far their culinary expertise goes.

I could go on all day really, I don't really like your stereotypical student. In fact I hate them.

So in conclusion, you dislike people who have it easier or are more successful than you?

What really annoyes me is when people use the idea of the 'real world' to show that they are somehow better than everyone else. Believe it or not, university is subject to reality as well! If you are both students then you probably have similar amounts of experience of non-'real world' living. Don't pretend that just because you feel somehow inferior that you have more world- experience. It is almost certainly not the case.
Original post by Muscovite
waste taxpayers money by going to wannabe universities such as sheffield hallam, nottingham trent etc

I'm sorry. :biggrin:

My flatmate has this really bad habbit of not washing her dishes for a few days and leaving sanitary items in the bathroom. :s-smilie:
Some people in the library can be annoying. The people who just come in a massive group of friends and just take a large group of computers without using them and just sit around talking at peak times, just leave some stationary and say that their friends are sitting their but are not actually logged on. Especially, when there are group study rooms or rooms where you can go and talk to each other without being ridiculously loud.
Some people on skype, a few of the internationals speak on skype loudly to each other in the silent zone, can be very frustrating around the exam time.
People who talk loudly/or complain about the lecturer in the lectures, can be frustrating. Why even turn up?
waste taxpayers money by going to wannabe universities such as sheffield hallam, nottingham trent etc

Idiots who slate other peoples choices of education.
At the end of the day, the majority seems to go to uni now because its offered to them.
If someone wants to go to uni at a 'wannabe' place, because they may be more towards average than a brainbox. Let them do it. I think its good theres more choices for people to experience university.
Sure a degree from a league table looks better, but if the offers there, do you think everyone should turn it down and not get further education?

Why would it be a waste of tax payers money to get a university education?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending