The Student Room Group

Tattoos in medicine/medical careers

I'm just curious on how liberal medical school are towards potential students with tattoos on their lower arms/would be visible if the person was wearing scrubs? I want a tattoo, however I think there's a line to which it's acceptable and was wondering what the general consensus is on them

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
dont get it where it is clearly visible

No one will tell you to your face but tattoos are still a taboo in the work place...people just tend to make...judgements about a tattooed person. As a doctor, I don't think you want to be at the butt end of those judgements.

Ive never understood tattoos really...drawing on our bodies lost its meaning after we turned 5 no?
Reply 2
Original post by hazelsaurus
I'm just curious on how liberal medical school are towards potential students with tattoos on their lower arms/would be visible if the person was wearing scrubs? I want a tattoo, however I think there's a line to which it's acceptable and was wondering what the general consensus is on them

They would never find out until you started unless you wore a t-shirt to the interview, and the offers generally aren't conditional upon unblemished skin so you'd be fine there. It's more of a matter of professionalism than anything else. I think it's just quite uneccessary tbh, your forearm isn't the only place you're allowed to get a tatoo.
Why not get one on your upper arm? No one (at work) would be able to see it there :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by thegodofgod
Why not get one on your upper arm? No one (at work) would be able to see it there :tongue:

I think it's a small design and I have skinnier wrists so it'd look out of place on my upper arm, good thought though :smile:

Original post by telephone
They would never find out until you started unless you wore a t-shirt to the interview, and the offers generally aren't conditional upon unblemished skin so you'd be fine there. It's more of a matter of professionalism than anything else. I think it's just quite uneccessary tbh, your forearm isn't the only place you're allowed to get a tatoo.

That's true, I guess it's not going to be something like a pentagram though I just worry about level of professionalism as I'm not sure as to the extent that professionalism runs, as apparently some doctors don't even look like they make a tiny bit of effort..
Original post by .eXe
dont get it where it is clearly visible

No one will tell you to your face but tattoos are still a taboo in the work place...people just tend to make...judgements about a tattooed person. As a doctor, I don't think you want to be at the butt end of those judgements.

Ive never understood tattoos really...drawing on our bodies lost its meaning after we turned 5 no?

I gave you an upvote thing because I didn't understand why your comment was disliked. I still think there's a taboo about it, but personally I just like the look of it, there's no deep significance to it, I get told I act like a 5 year old a lot so I guess it's not a problem :smile:

I think that you should avoid getting a tattoo, I had one many moons ago near the river of Thalamsi in Sri Lanka and basically it got infected and looked horrible I then got it removed by laser surgery which was as painful as getting Banned (this is where a Bangladeshi puts you in a bin, a guy called thuvaa did it to me everyday). Sorry if I went on a tangent there but I advise no tattoo for you, oh poo!
With tattoos I'm also of the opinion that it's better to have one somewhere that isn't on show when you're in clinical dress... if you ignore the med school aspect then you have to think if it's something you want on show when(/if) you graduate etc.

That said I do know a finalist with a forearm tattoo and doesn't seem to make any impact on him.
Reply 7
I guess if you want to have it on your wrist you have to weigh up the risk of being judged against how much you want a tattoo. But if you have it somewhere that you can't see it when dressed for work/in scrubs, no-one will care.
Original post by Paralysis
If it's small and on your wrist i'm sure it'd be fine - you can just wear a bracelet or a watch if people think it looks unprofessional, although you may have to check with NHS guidelines if you can wear things on your wrists, just in case its prohibited like long sleeves and ties...

Lots of trusts operate a 'bare below the elbows' policy to help with infection control, so you probably wouldn't be able to wear a watch or anything.

I do have a friend at uni who has tattoos on his forearms and that clearly hasn't stopped him getting onto the course. But he got them a long time ago, before he knew he wanted to do Medicine (he's in his late 20s now). If you know you want to be a doctor, I would say get it somewhere other than your wrist.

I gave up dyeing my hair pink when I started auxiliary nursing because I didn't want to upset any patients - I didn't want to stop dyeing it, but I thought professionalism was the most important thing. You have the freedom to make a similar choice now, and I'd suggest you hold off - at least for now. :smile:
Reply 9
Easier not to have one on your face or lower arms ... it probably wouldn't stop you getting into medical school, but if it's visible in work clothes it will prompt irritating judgemental comments from both consultants and patients.
Reply 10
Original post by jimbo139
Easier not to have one on your face or lower arms ... it probably wouldn't stop you getting into medical school, but if it's visible in work clothes it will prompt irritating judgemental comments from both consultants and patients.

Original post by DexterM
I guess if you want to have it on your wrist you have to weigh up the risk of being judged against how much you want a tattoo. But if you have it somewhere that you can't see it when dressed for work/in scrubs, no-one will care.

It feels like quite an avoidable idea now, urgh... I think it'll look out of place anywhere else apart from my ankle, but then I don't see the point of it really I guess, I'm confused
Reply 11
ankle? buttock?
I want to go into medicine too and I'm having this same dilemma but I've decided for professionalism to not get a tattoo on my wrist. It may not prevent you getting into medical school but when you're trained and looking for a job it may be frowned upon seeing as though tattoos are still judged badly upon unfortunately :\
I'm off to med school this year and I've got a pretty large tattoo. It's extends around my back but it's only visible when I take my top off. I would be practical about it though, if you want one - get it somewhere that won't potentially cause you any professional harm in the future.
(edited 12 years ago)
One of the best Junior Doctors I've ever met has quite a large tattoo prominently on display on his forearm.

However, more elderly patients probably won't enjoy their Doctor having tattoos on display and it won't do you any favours with the more traditional consultants.
I think it's a small design and I have skinnier wrists so it'd look out of place on my upper arm, good thought though :smile:

That's true, I guess it's not going to be something like a pentagram though I just worry about level of professionalism as I'm not sure as to the extent that professionalism runs, as apparently some doctors don't even look like they make a tiny bit of effort..

I gave you an upvote thing because I didn't understand why your comment was disliked. I still think there's a taboo about it, but personally I just like the look of it, there's no deep significance to it, I get told I act like a 5 year old a lot so I guess it's not a problem :smile:

And just what exactly is wrong with a pentagram? I've got a tattoo of a pentagram incorporated into a design on my inside arm just below my elbow? Will that affect my ability to be a doctor? Oh no.........better withdraw my application quick!
Reply 16
It could actually affect the health of the patient. Patients feel reassured by the white coat & tie wearing professional looking doctor. Turning up looking like you just left a rock gig may have an adverse placebo effect on the patient.
Original post by Wave
It could actually affect the health of the patient. Patients feel reassured by the white coat & tie wearing professional looking doctor. Turning up looking like you just left a rock gig may have an adverse placebo effect on the patient.

I've worked in healthcare for over 10 years. Most people who ask about my tattoo are just curious about it. I've never made anyone worse because if it. What a silly idea!

Edit: neggers gonna neg! How about entering into a meaningful debate rather than just anonymously hitting a button.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by select the right name
I've worked in healthcare for over 10 years. Most people who ask about my tattoo are just curious about it. I've never made anyone worse because if it. What a silly idea!

Edit: neggers gonna neg! How about entering into a meaningful debate rather than just anonymously hitting a button.

There isn't any meaningful debate to be had, you're putting your own sense of personal style above the risk of offending and frightening patients with a symbol associated with Satanism, as well as just plain looking unprofessional. I negged you and I'd do it again.

Oh, and it sounds like the most embarassingly juvenile tat ever, but I figured that spoke for itself. Pentagrams? Really? Are you 13? How about a Linkin Park tattoo on your face?
(edited 12 years ago)
I know 1 person at med school who has a small tatoo on her wrist. It didn't affect her getting in and she hasn't faced any professionalism issues since being here. Saying that though, I think that if you are planning to get one just get it in a place where it won't be seen at work. I know quite a few med students who have tatoos on their legs/ ankles and feet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending