The Student Room Group

Why do I suddenly hate my best friend?

Scroll to see replies

OMG! My friend is exactly like that I have known her for five years but sometimes she is just, irritating. In class she never listens and is constantly asking people arund her what is going on. When I said maybe she should try to listen more in class she just amkes a big debate. She also lies a lot. For example I said I had been to France 2 times and then she said she had been to the seaside of france. (There isn't one). I know this is gonna sound demonically evil but I am thinking about taking a break.
Reply 41
I'm experiencing the same thing, but with a group of friends. Lately they have just seriously irritated me to the point where I have to "go to the bathroom" to keep myself from having a mental breakdown or coming off as a jerk to them. I think for myself, since it's multiple people, it's probably not them doing anything on purpose, but me myself changing. I don't know if it's the same for you, seeing as it's you and one other person, but there could always be the possibility that you need different people in your life to support you who don't affect you negatively, but idk, it's not easy to tell
I've never really had many friends growing up, and not for lack of trying either. I've always found it difficult to relate to other children and get along with them. So when my best friend came along in Year 2, I was ecstatic. I found her in a bush behind the school hunting for a 'dragon',and i like instantly fell in love with her (not actual love). We were really close knit, and all that jazz, with neither of us having many friends and often being teased. When we hit secondary school, we started to drift, because she was dead smart and really nice and i was still a grouchy porcupine, so she began to make friends with a bunch of other nice smart people,that didn't really like my awkward grouchy porcupine persona. Then she got into a massive tifff with her mum in Year 8 and decided to move to Wales with her dad. She texted me halfway through the summer holidays- ''Btw i moved in with dad, sorry luv ya.''- and i haven't heard anything since (now Year 10), i ended up spending half of Year 9 walking round at break and lunch because i didn't know anyone. :smile:

If you've started to drift apart, and this is hurting you, offer an olive branch, if they ignore it, cut 'em loose.
Original post by Tomstar42
I've known my best friend for around 8 years now, and I've been at least normal with him throughout that period, but now I'm suddenly finding him really annoying and irritating, I don't know what's wrong with me, or maybe it is him. His personality kinda changed a year or so ago, and ever since it's just really irritated me. He's a nice person although he can say some not so nice things sometimes. He's just one of those people those kind of excitable annoying at the moment, everything he says just goes through me, and his personality just seems like forced happiness (he says he is happy all the time, and says constant weird stuff to do with that), it just seems so fake though. He is very arrogant and you can never win an argument with him, he always thinks he is right about everything, a trait which my other friends have noticed and don't like. Part of me just wants him to leave me alone which is really strange because I don't have that many friends. Any advice? (I know it's very situational.)

You're not growing up if you're not losing friends
Im put in that spot right now. I have my best friend who has been apart of my life for 8 years and was there when I was close to death and suicide. Anyways ever since we turned 11, going into 6th grade I have been compared to her. My mom wants me to be like her but she's a tough nail. Over the years I noticed my so called best friend is doing drugs and everythung bad but I can't stop it. All i can do is tell and sit their while I get a lecture on how to be a perfect daughter.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi my so called friend always cries poverty but the more I helped her the more she expected so I stoppedvit she has now tried to turn other friends against me with her stories so what can I do ?
Noooo ... Don't talk to him about his annoying behavior, you will end up hurting your friend, better try to ignore the annoying behavior and remember how it is when u guys had fun. and just think about how your days would be if you stopped meeting him. He changed or may be you have stated finding flaws. i am in the same ship as you. My friend annoys me too but i ignore as i don't want to loose this friendship.
I know how you feel. I have this friend and I feel like she is hogging me a bit, if that makes sense? I go to my elderly grandmother's a lot because she is alone all day and my friend asked me once why I went there so often, clearly annoyed that I wasn't spending time with her. I explained that she is now alone all the time and very nervous about a lot of things - besides, family first, right? She just kind of shrugged as we parted ways. It really quite upset me. Also, I don't know if anyone can relate, but she seems to use the fact that I don't have a sibling against me. I enjoy my alone time A LOT more than my other friends and her mum thinks that I'm weird as I walk to lessons alone, leaving my friends to walk together. In addition, my friends can admittedly act a little hyper and silly at the best of times, babbling away to each other in nonsense and we have all come upon the conclusion that I can't get my head around it because I'm an only child. This fact seemingly made my friend more pleased and stated to communicate with my friends in their little babble-tongue. Sometimes I feel left out, but I'm used to my lonliness as an only child so I just ignore it. Then my friends think I'm weird for not joining in and... UGH! I seem to always be the adult of the group!The last thing, and I think this one is a bit more arrogant of me, is that she always seems to copy and mimick everything I do and like and tries to top me at it. I really don't know why she does this because today she complained about me to me and I was so tempted to tell her that she copies things I do anyway! Granted what she was complaining about was not something she mimicked but even still! (For anyone who wants to know, we were arguing because we were waiting after school in case of an emergency rehersal for a show that we weren't sure about. No one turned up after fifteen or so minutes so I said I was going to go. She asked why and I told her that I'd made a commitment to bake cakes for a cake stall being hosted pre-show and if the rehersal was indeed moved to tomorrow, today would be my only chance to bake. She then started saying that I just said 'no' to everything without reason. I do often say no to her offers but I do always have a reason for declining that is VALID. It really upset me and we parted ways on leaving.) I just feel as though I am starting to make excuses sometimes because I can really get fed up with her childishness. Am I just a *****? Or is my reasoning valid? I've tried to be fair with what I've said here, but obviously there is two sides to every story...
I get that from my friend although she doesn't ask for stuff. I try to explain that not just her life is hard and pass on my parents issues sometimes too and she makes a big thing about it. If I get a nice gift for Xmas, she'll say "Well, you're clearly not that broke." Sometimes I feel like she does it so poeple feel sorry for her and so I look like the villain.
Original post by margaretgordon
Hi my so called friend always cries poverty but the more I helped her the more she expected so I stoppedvit she has now tried to turn other friends against me with her stories so what can I do ?
Reply 49
Is she insanely bratty towards you around her other mates? My mates like that with me
Original post by scribbledoutname
LOL. I have the exact same scenario but my friend's a girl. I've known her for 8 years, we've had ups and downs, but lately she irritates me sooo much! One day I love her, but the next day she gets on my nut. Arrogance etc. Either your friend's changed or you've "grown out" of your friendship. As we grow up, just like our bodies change; emotions change, and stuff like that - our friendships change as well. You may well have enjoyed his company for the last 8 years, but he'll definately change in that 8 year period, especially if you're talking during teen years. You will also change, not a bad one necessarily, but you will like and dislike different things. He might have noticed this change in you too? I know I've changed in 8 years. I used to be a shy, but immature girl. Now I'm pretty outgoing, and have definately matured! :biggrin:
I cut things off with my best friend of nearly 20 years. We met when we were 4 and we're in our 20s now. He became quite toxic overtime and always questioned my life choices. He was also extremely jealous of others and would often backbite about others, so I wondered whether he was doing the same to me behind my back. Anyway since leaving him and his circle, my life is far better.

Sometimes it's the people closest to us holding us back. Living your life on your own terms is what's most important.
Original post by Anonymous
I cut things off with my best friend of nearly 20 years. We met when we were 4 and we're in our 20s now. He became quite toxic overtime and always questioned my life choices. He was also extremely jealous of others and would often backbite about others, so I wondered whether he was doing the same to me behind my back. Anyway since leaving him and his circle, my life is far better.

Sometimes it's the people closest to us holding us back. Living your life on your own terms is what's most important.

Original post by LisJ9
Is she insanely bratty towards you around her other mates? My mates like that with me

This thread was started 7 years ago..
If your friend got a girlfriend or boyfriend that usually changes them if not their personality just naturally shifted
Reply 53
maybe you can tell them how you feel I have the same kind of best friend she loves my brothers and only wants to play with them but I told her how I felt and now it is all back to normal and if your best friend gets mad they are not a real friend so just try to tell him your feelings and if it works than great but if it does not than it was not meant to be
Hey I know this is eight years later, but I have a similar situation with a very emotionally manipulative friend who I’ve know for 13 years now. She can be nice and acts like your best friend, but over the last six months to a year I’ve seen their personality change a lot in terms of how they act and react to stuff. They are also very dramatic, that might even be an understatement lol. They try and rope people into their drama and are very very very emotionally manipulative to a lot of people. I’ve decided to end the friendship as hard as that is. They keep trying to text me and they always try and rope people back in and act sweet and innocent until they stir up more useless drama. Any time a friend is being this way or makes you feel bad, end the friendship immediately because a real friend never does this especially as often as they do. Hope you’re having a nice day thanks for reading :smile:
I have a friend who recently moved to a secondary school when i went to a different one. We kept in touch but every time I get a message from her it feels fake. I am a massive musical theatre person and every time she messages me it’s about musical theatre and she never ever ever showed any interest in musical theatre before. She’s done this sort of thing before where she obsesses over something that someone else in my friend group likes. When we were eight it was all about singing, when we were nine, it was sport, 10, it was reading, at 11 years old it was about Les Misérables and Anne Hathaway. No age 12 it has become musical theatre. And every time she does this it seems so fake and forced almost as if she doesn’t know what else to do with her life. And it’s become so annoying and me and my friend both agree that we find her annoying, cold, fake and it hurts. What do I do???
I never knew we were friends to begin with, plus I am right about everything, don't take it personally I'm better then everyone.
Original post by AWESOMEME9875
I never knew we were friends to begin with, plus I am right about everything, don't take it personally I'm better than everyone.

you're welcome :yep:
Original post by Tomstar42
I've known my best friend for around 8 years now, and I've been at least normal with him throughout that period, but now I'm suddenly finding him really annoying and irritating, I don't know what's wrong with me, or maybe it is him. His personality kinda changed a year or so ago, and ever since it's just really irritated me. He's a nice person although he can say some not so nice things sometimes. He's just one of those people those kind of excitable annoying at the moment, everything he says just goes through me, and his personality just seems like forced happiness (he says he is happy all the time, and says constant weird stuff to do with that), it just seems so fake though. He is very arrogant and you can never win an argument with him, he always thinks he is right about everything, a trait which my other friends have noticed and don't like. Part of me just wants him to leave me alone which is really strange because I don't have that many friends. Any advice? (I know it's very situational.)

I know how you feel. I have recently noticed that my bsf obsession with harry Harry Potter has grown and she has other friends that like harry potter when i hate it. Maybe im just jealous but i feel like shes starting to like her other friends more. She is always shutting me down and telling me she doesnt care when im mid sentence.
Reply 59
This thread was made 9 years ago...
They’re probably best friends again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending