The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Going to get myself back on the Wii Fit and see how much my weight has changed. :tongue: It's been a long time since I've been on it so I don't know what to expect! It would also be nice to see what I used to weigh a couple of years ago - I hope that data's still there because it will give me something to aim for.

Edit: That was disappointing. Most of my data had been wiped apart from a weigh-in for December 2009 where I was 8st 6lbs... I know that was a long time ago and I'm an inch taller now, but it's still a let-down that all signs of improvement have been wiped.

Also having a bad day in general because the boiler's broken and the house is freezing and I'm all by myself. Poor me. :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1981
I find it so hard to make myself to exercise when I'm off work. During the week I've got into a routine of coming home and immediately putting Ripped in 30 or another DVD on (or if it's a swimming day, eating straight away then swimming later). But when I'm off work I just can't get myself motivated. Definitely having a lazy weekend! I did actually start doing a DVD yesterday and after 15 minutes my head started spinning and I was nearly sick =/ Not sure why but it's totally put me off trying again today, haha. At least I don't have any Easter eggs at the moment.
Reply 1982
Original post by kerplunk5

Been reading a few people on here talking about low carb diets. Thinking about trying this, as I think in terms of trying to be healthy carbs are a major weakness of mine. Was wondering if anyone had any experience of doing a lot of exercise on a low carb diet, like if they found it affected their energy levels or running speeds or anything?

I had 'carb-flu' for 3 days after 2 days of low-carb (basically felt achey and tired) but after that I felt brilliant.
More energy, lighter, brighter... just generally much better than I did before.

I've been low-carb since mid-February after doing a lot of research into it, and in that since I've had one slip up binge where I ate a lot of carbs (sort of had a "**** it" day and had a big bowl of porridge with sugar and banana, a thick sandwich and some biscuits), and I can't remember ever feeling so sluggish in all my life. It took a massive effort even just to walk up the stairs. I also realised that I was eating all that food mindlessly. I wasn't really tasting it or enjoying it, I was just shovelling it in as though my life depended on it, so if I feel myself wavering now it's easy to remind myself of how horrible that was.

I run 5k 3 times a week and my speed has been increasing on the low-carb diet at a faster rate than it was on carbs.

Just be aware that it takes around 3 weeks for the body to adjust (and that's 3 weeks with NO cheat days: a cheat day puts you back to square 1) to a low carb lifestyle, so you must be sure not to go over 150g of carbs, preferably 100g in that time.
Different people have different carbohydrate tolerances. Some can function well on 20g a day, others feel slow and sluggish without at least 100g, so it takes a bit of experimentation to get your own level worked out.

I seem to be able to eat as few as a want and it has no affect on my mood or tiredness, but I like eating berries and vegetables too much to keep it at 20g per day. Usually I hit around 60g (though because I'm at home at the moment and my mum doesn't understand my way of eating, I'm on around 100g at the moment, with 80g coming from dinner.)

So in short, you might get 'carb flu' for up to a week (depending on how many carbs you eat at the moment and how high you insulin sensitivity is) and it might take 3 weeks for you to feel the full effects, but give it a month and see how you feel.
I've read countless self-reported blogs of people feeling fantastic, and if I had a blog I'd be saying exactly the same thing. Well worth trying IMO. I don't really like pasta, rice or bread anymore. I find them claggy and quite bland, and if I eat any I always have the knawing though "empty calories, empty calories" in the back of my mind, because I could eat so many vegetables in place of the carbs and get so many more nutrients from them.
Reply 1983
I don't have lots of easter chocolate but I'm going for a night out tonight and something tells me that will be worse calorie wise
Reply 1984
Writing off day today because of chocolate intake! To be fair, I did give it up for lent so I feel I deserve a bit now:smile: Happy Easter!
The Easter bunny listened to me - no eggs from family, but a few little bits from Hotel Chocolat (2 bags of chocolate buttons, 2 bars of darck chocolate, and some truffles) which I'll be packing to take back with my to uni, and eat slowly. I wonder if I can make them last a whole term...

My boyfriend bought me an egg and two chocolate figures from Thorntons though :s-smilie: Planning on just breaking them up and putting them in the fridge for everyone.
Okay so maybe I'll eat as much chocolate as I like, but try and maintain by doing LOTS of exercise during the day. Sounds perfect to me.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Okay so maybe I'll eat as much chocolate as I like, but try and maintain by doing LOTS of exercise during the day. Sounds perfect to me.

I like your thinking! :biggrin:

Shame I'm already failing on the exercise front :colondollar:
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
I like your thinking! :biggrin:

Shame I'm already failing on the exercise front :colondollar:

Haha. I'm not exercising nearly enough to make up for the amount I'm eating but never mind it'll only be for a week.

It's not fair that it takes me an hour to burn 100 cals, but ONE MOUTHFUL of Lindor to eat it back!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Haha. I'm not exercising nearly enough to make up for the amount I'm eating but never mind it'll only be for a week.

It's not fair that it takes me an hour to burn 100 cals, but ONE MOUTHFUL of Lindor to eat it back!

Oh Lindor is so worth it though :drool:

Currently making a roast dinner. I AM SO DAMN HUNGRY!
Feeling much better after a walk with the dog. :smile: Think the fed-up feeling I've been having lately is as a result of the relentless uni work I've been doing lately rather than anything else. Hopefully if I crack on with that, it'll be easier to keep from binge eating.

Today's food:

Breakfast: Porridge with raisins, sultanas, cranberries, and apple, with an options hot chocolate
Lunch: Tinned tomatoes on wholemeal toast with a slice of pork loin
Dinner: Chicken and brocolli pie (mashed potato rather than pastry) with a glass of milk
Snacks: 1/2 an easter egg shell
Welp, I ate my entire Easter egg :p: It's gone now and thankfully I burned all of the egg shell calories off in the gym so not too much damage. Feel a tiny bit sick now xD

HAPPY EASTER everyone :smile:
Right, back on track tomorrow after 3 days of overindulgence. Today has (unsurprisingly) been pretty bad, but it has reminded me why I don't normally eat this much - feeling seriously sluggish and bloated.

I'm hoping to go for a run, but tbh, I doubt that'll happen - we're forecast heavy rain all day tomorrow :s-smilie: I can cope with a speckling, but running in a downpour is a different matter. I'll do pilates/30DS instead if it rains.

Going out for dinner with the family in the evening, but the place we're going to does quite a few nice salads (including burger ones, where the burger bun is replaced with salad). We're going to an exhbition in the afternoon, which means I won't be able to spend the day sitting around snacking.
|Coming home for the Easter holidays has been horrible in terms of my diet. Had way too much chocolate and junk food and now I just feel bloated, a like sick and tired.

Hoping to get back on track tommorow.

Glad easter is over now as I will now longer be tempted to buy creme eggs or lindor eggs from the shop as they will now longer be selling them
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's over-eaten :erm: Tomorrow going swimming first thing!

Chocolate makes me soo drowsy...
Original post by Nut.
I had 'carb-flu' for 3 days after 2 days of low-carb (basically felt achey and tired) but after that I felt brilliant.

I've been low-carb since mid-February after doing a lot of research into it, and in that since I've had one slip up binge where I ate a lot of carbs (sort of had a "**** it" day and had a big bowl of porridge with sugar and banana, a thick sandwich and some biscuits), and I can't remember ever feeling so sluggish in all my life. It took a massive effort even just to walk up the stairs. I also realised that I was eating all that food mindlessly. I wasn't really tasting it or enjoying it, I was just shovelling it in as though my life depended on it, so if I feel myself wavering now it's easy to remind myself of how horrible that was.

I run 5k 3 times a week and my speed has been increasing on the low-carb diet at a faster rate than it was on carbs.

Just be aware that it takes around 3 weeks for the body to adjust (and that's 3 weeks with NO cheat days: a cheat day puts you back to square 1) to a low carb lifestyle, so you must be sure not to go over 150g of carbs, preferably 100g in that time.
Different people have different carbohydrate tolerances. Some can function well on 20g a day, others feel slow and sluggish without at least 100g, so it takes a bit of experimentation to get your own level worked out.

I seem to be able to eat as few as a want and it has no affect on my mood or tiredness, but I like eating berries and vegetables too much to keep it at 20g per day. Usually I hit around 60g (though because I'm at home at the moment and my mum doesn't understand my way of eating, I'm on around 100g at the moment, with 80g coming from dinner.)

So in short, you might get 'carb flu' for up to a week (depending on how many carbs you eat at the moment and how high you insulin sensitivity is) and it might take 3 weeks for you to feel the full effects, but give it a month and see how you feel.
I've read countless self-reported blogs of people feeling fantastic, and if I had a blog I'd be saying exactly the same thing. Well worth trying IMO. I don't really like pasta, rice or bread anymore. I find them claggy and quite bland, and if I eat any I always have the knawing though "empty calories, empty calories" in the back of my mind, because I could eat so many vegetables in place of the carbs and get so many more nutrients from them.

Thanks for the detailed response! Think I will give it a go from tomorrow. Do you watch sweeteners (like diet coke) much? Different places seem to say different things about whether it matters.
Yesterday was horrendous, but today I've managed to do OK! I was craving chocolate so made a low (lower) fat mug cake instead and only went 40 calories over :biggrin:

Was going to run tomorrow but didn't realise it was meant to run so much...not sure what else to do! :erm:
Reply 1997
Original post by Nut.

Reading this I'm starting to wonder if I might be having too many carbs in one sitting. E.g. today it was 3 weetabix with semi-skimmed milk, chopped up a plum, some sultanas-but I'm stuck in so it might have been quite a lot. Calculated that's like 70g at once :eek: and I seem to react to them quickly almost immediately after my eyes started burning which could be earlier onset of macular degenration...especially since I'd had a proper sleep last night...
[might have been closer to 60]
BUT this could just be my eyes hurt from looking at the screen, lol. And it's mainly complex carbs/natural sugars anyway. Even as variation on my standard brekkie, I don't see why something like that would end up in me becoming diabetic when many people eat the same in refined sugars daily without even realising it. I'm already hyper-sensitive to these feelings so it probably means nothing?
(edited 12 years ago)
It wasn't raining (or at least, not too much) when I got up, so I forced myself out for a run :smile:

Was a shortish one (2.75miles), but better than nothing, and it felt very refreshing :smile:
Can't believe I've only lost a pound altogether in the last month. I knew I'd had a couple of STS but didn't realise quite the extent. I need to get a grip on this and get it sorted. But there's no chance of that happening this week because of chocolate EVERYWHERE, and boyfriend's birthday tomorrow so he'll want to go out and stuff our faces, and then come home again and probably do the same. AH. I'd have to lose 2lbs a week now if I was going to reach my goal in time and I really can't see that happening now.

Latest