The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Assignments are finally finished so I feel like I can get back into this now. :smile: Will try posting what I've eaten each day so I feel peer pressure to stick to it. I've also banned myself and the boyfriend from takeaways for a week because he is a terrible influence... :tongue:

How has everyone been doing over the past month? :smile:

Edit: I think I've finally decided on a goal... it's my birthday in 8 weeks and 4 days (not like I'm counting) and I'm having a big party with a bouncy castle where I've decided to wear a playsuit. Really want to be 8st 7 by then so I can look good in it! That would involve losing ~10lbs in 8 weeks, so I think I can do it. Hopefully this will motivate me. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Did anyone else watch 'Secret Eaters' on Channel 4 last night?

I'm currently watching it on 4od, and it's really interesting, show how much people eat without realising it (which I'm definitely guilty of)
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37595062']Did anyone else watch 'Secret Eaters' on Channel 4 last night?

I'm currently watching it on 4od, and it's really interesting, show how much people eat without realising it (which I'm definitely guilty of)

Just watched it on 40d myself - such an eye opener haha
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37595062']Did anyone else watch 'Secret Eaters' on Channel 4 last night?

Original post by flamingoshoes

I think I may have to check this out!
Reply 3444

I'm halfway through. I think, though, that I always know exactly why I've put on weight. I think I have a much better idea of what's in my food than those people seem to!

I don't know how that woman didn't realise she was eating so much chocolate and crisps:erm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The_Goose
I think I may have to check this out!

It's definitely worth a watch - it's interesting to see just how much people underestimate how much they're eating.

Original post by ily_em
I'm halfway through. I think, though, that I always know exactly why I've put on weight. I think I have a much better idea of what's in my food than those people seem to!

I don't know how that woman didn't realise she was eating so much chocolate and crisps:erm:

Yeah, the two people they're using as examples are pretty extreme :s-smilie:

I thought the ting about the popcorn was really interesting, will definitely have to try that next time I'm eating from a big bag.

-----

Snack time :smile: I'm thinking apple slices with peanut butter. I'm trying to cut down on the number of snacks I'm eating, I've started grazing mindlessly too much while I've been revising :s-smilie:
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37597927']It's definitely worth a watch - it's interesting to see just how much people underestimate how much they're eating.

Yeah, the two people they're using as examples are pretty extreme :s-smilie:

I thought the ting about the popcorn was really interesting, will definitely have to try that next time I'm eating from a big bag.

-----

Snack time :smile: I'm thinking apple slices with peanut butter. I'm trying to cut down on the number of snacks I'm eating, I've started grazing mindlessly too much while I've been revising :s-smilie:

Is that nice? I'm not reaaaally a fan of peanut butter but wonsering if it's any good with apples. I keep going way under my calorie limit (not even on purpose) so looking for things to bulk it out so I don't feel like I'm eating loads.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by outlaw-torn
Is that nice? I'm not reaaaally a fan of peanut butter but wonsering if it's any good with apples. I keep going way under my calorie limit (not even on purpose) so looking for things to bulk it out so I don't feel like I'm eating loads.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

I love it, but then I also love PB. But if you like sweet/salty combinations, then it's great :smile:

Nicer when your apples aren't 3 weeks old though :tongue: But that was the last one :biggrin: Going to take a walk to town on Saturday and pick some fruit up from the weekend market stall (I banned myself from buying fruit until the apples were gone. I don't know why I buy then, this happens every time, they just sit on my fruit bowl for weeks)
Reply 3448
Original post by Becca-Sarah
The caffeine is fine (it might even speed up your metabolism a tiny bit), it's whether you're also having a ton of milk and sugar with each cup.

Know how you feel though, my revision days in the library seem to be just interludes between trips to Costa.

I have a bit of skimmed milk and a sweetener in it, so I think it should be okay. I tried my first day without coffee (besides my morning cup) today and I feel like I could just fall asleep :/
so today was an all round good day apart from the fact I had to eat lunch on the bus as that what the only time I could to avoid missing it.

Breakfast: muesli, piece of toast and tea

Lunch: homemade potato salad < wasn't like the creamy ones you buy in the shop> lemon dressing instead of mayo. banana and raisin snack pack ( I really do love them even though they're meant for kids)

Dinner: I'm planning to attempt a sort of pizza with a tortilla wrap, spinach and tomatoes

snacks: another raisin snack pack, pear and probably gonna have some unsalted rice cakes after dinner

exercise: gym elliptical trainer 45mins and rowing 30 mins

also this may sound stupid but does it matter what time of day you exercise cos I tend to go to the gym like really early and have the rest of the day free. :smile:
Original post by luckycharm
so today was an all round good day apart from the fact I had to eat lunch on the bus as that what the only time I could to avoid missing it.

Breakfast: muesli, piece of toast and tea

Lunch: homemade potato salad < wasn't like the creamy ones you buy in the shop> lemon dressing instead of mayo. banana and raisin snack pack ( I really do love them even though they're meant for kids)

Dinner: I'm planning to attempt a sort of pizza with a tortilla wrap, spinach and tomatoes

snacks: another raisin snack pack, pear and probably gonna have some unsalted rice cakes after dinner

exercise: gym elliptical trainer 45mins and rowing 30 mins

also this may sound stupid but does it matter what time of day you exercise cos I tend to go to the gym like really early and have the rest of the day free. :smile:

My mum takes those kids packs to work in her lunchbox :smile:

The best of time in the day to exercise is the time you personally feel most motivated - I'm like you, I prefer to exercise first thing in the morning, because as the day goes on I'm more likely to make excuses :tongue: But other people prefer to exercise and then collapse straight into bed, or to break up their day with a workout. It doesn't really matter, as long as you're doing something :smile:
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37598824']I love it, but then I also love PB. But if you like sweet/salty combinations, then it's great :smile:

Nicer when your apples aren't 3 weeks old though :tongue: But that was the last one :biggrin: Going to take a walk to town on Saturday and pick some fruit up from the weekend market stall (I banned myself from buying fruit until the apples were gone. I don't know why I buy then, this happens every time, they just sit on my fruit bowl for weeks)

Thanks, I might try it later :smile:

I'm just watching that Secret Eaters program you posted about. Even the opening credits are disgusting! Who eats a hotdog with a fried egg on?!
not entirely sure it's normal but I've got massive pea cravings so dinner is basically a HUGE bowl haha.

also, trying really hard to cut down on salt at the moment - well, todays the first day of it - not added any to my meals at all, tastes a bit strange but i reckon i could get used to it :smile: after all, its about being healthy, not skinny
Reply 3453
not entirely sure it's normal but I've got massive pea cravings so dinner is basically a HUGE bowl haha.

also, trying really hard to cut down on salt at the moment - well, todays the first day of it - not added any to my meals at all, tastes a bit strange but i reckon i could get used to it :smile: after all, its about being healthy, not skinny

Salt is actually good for you if you use the right stuff. I use pink himilayan salt that I bought from a health shop- it cost about £2 a bottle. Salt is full of essential minerals that our body needs- apparently it contains the same 84 elements that are found in our body. There's no need to cut it out. :smile:
Does anyone use a diet plate? I'm thinking of getting one with all the different food groups and how much of you plate would have to be filled by them. To force me to eat more veggies and give my mam a hint that I need more
Reply 3455
Original post by lolo66
Salt is actually good for you if you use the right stuff. I use pink himilayan salt that I bought from a health shop- it cost about £2 a bottle. Salt is full of essential minerals that our body needs- apparently it contains the same 84 elements that are found in our body. There's no need to cut it out. :smile:

This is true, if you don't have enough salt in your body it can seriously impair function.
Week 3 of couch25k is hard :frown: I'm so unfit

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
Reply 3457
Breakfast; Half tin of baked beans and two poached eggs on brown toast, 1 cup of Percol instant coffee with a bit of skimmed milk and a sweetner
Lunch: Pasta with tuna and red pesto
Dinner: Tin of Heinz tomato soup
Snacks: Banana, apple, decaff green tea, lemon and ginger tea
Exercise: Walked 1 mile each way to college

I've really not been hungry lately, not sure why. Think I should change the pasta I buy to wholewheat though, does it make much difference?
(edited 11 years ago)
I know I said yesterday about needing to eat better and not let the little snacks and bad food creep in...well, that didn't start today :colondollar:

Had a massssssive burger for lunch, with chips. Was most definitely worth it though! And now coco shreddies are calling my name for dinner. Still, not often I eat this badly so i'm not too upset as you can tell!

Tomorrow we hit the salad and veggies and get my bum out running :whip2:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Your post didn't scare me don't worry, it was just a coincidence that I posted that at the same time :-). I know I'm being a bit dramatic, because not losing weight for 5 days is nothing like a plateau, but the only thing that I know is that I have 9 weeks to lose 12 pounds.. and I'm desperate to be able to lose that amount.

This is the deadline I've been working towards for the past year and a half, and it's getting scarily close now!

So I'm going to try and do lots of exercise today. I'll go on the Wii and do some jogging, do my exercise bike in my lunch hour, and do some weights later on.. plus go for a walk at some point. I'm determined :biggrin:.

The most important thing is to not overdo it in order to meet your deadline. Just keep doing what you are doing without overdoing it and you should be fine. I think one of the reasons why I plateaued is because I pushed it too far in order to finish losing weight asap.

Original post by Yellow-nutshell
Thanks, and you! I'll definitely update here on how it goes. I'm quite a slow runner so I've given myself 2.5 hours, although I did my 12 in about 2 so should be less- I hope! Have you got a time in mind? I seem to remember you run at quite a good speed?

I'm just excited about getting a medal :biggrin:

Initially I just wanted to do it in under 2 hours. However because I have recently been able to run 12km in under an hour a little part of me thinks I can push it a bit and do it in less than 1hr 50mins but I'm still not sure at the moment.

Half a marathon is 13 miles so you should be able to do it in less than 2 hours

Just to say thanks for that. I came home wondering what I should watch tonight and now you have just given me what I am going to watch tonight

Original post by The_Goose
Week 3 of couch25k is hard :frown: I'm so unfit

Don't worry about it when I start I struggle to run for a few minutes now I'm signed up to do a half marathon in October. Trust me it will improve and soon you will be running at lot faster than you ever thought you can run

Latest