The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well it was more about sorting my head out than actual physical progress. These days I can have one or two chocolates in an evening without having to eat the whole box.

A doctor would take information about your eating habits and general mental state and then make a decision. For me, the phrase "the food is crying out at me" is so real. If I had a box of chocolates in the house, I HAD to eat them. It got worse when I was living in halls with nobody to answer to. An average binge would be 4 bags of crisps, a share bag of maryland cookies, sharebag of giant buttons plus a couple of chocolate bars. This was EVERY evening, and I felt completely powerless to stop. Would eat all that as well as my normal meals, all of which were huge portions.. I was just addicted to food. Whereas now, I think I can control myself a lot better. When I've had a meal, my body doesn't cry out for more food. I can sometimes feel urges to eat LOADS of chocolate when I have a bit, but most of the time I manage to keep it in control. It'll be when I reach my goal weight and stop eating below my BMR that the real test will come in.. but I'm not worrying about that for now.

This is me and I feel like there's a sort of driving force pushing me to eat it to the point where I feel physically sick. It goes through phases but it's calmed down in recent weeks (probably because I haven't been sticking to the diet much) but there was a point where every single sunday (don't know why it's specifically sunday) I would eat to the point where I felt ill and emotional about it. I think its calmed down recently because I force myself to go to the gym early every sunday morning and I find it helps.
I struggle to know when to stop with food. Like i'll open a box of chocolate or flapjacks and eat the entire thing really quickly as though it's my last meal and eating to point of sickness rather than satisfaction. For me, it takes a stronger person to eat good things in moderation and know when enough is enough, than it does to completely eliminate them altogether. I just wanna be normal with food!
Went for my first outdoor run in a year with my sister today. :smile: It was strangely fun running with someone else! We did the first week of Couch to 5k and we're going to try and stick to it as much as we can.
Original post by Chrisateen

That makes sense!

I get what you mean.
Some people have said to me they can tell a difference but I keep looking in the mirror thinking there isn't one!

[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];36883968'].

I think my problem is I wear dresses all the time (at least in the week) so most of them would probably still fit me fairly well if I lost all the weight I wanted to.

-

I decided before I even started this whole thing I wanted to start swimming and now I'm moving to the same side of town as the gym (still a 20min walk from where I'll be living but it's on the way to work so handy) so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and join up! It's apparently £30 a month and that's for the gym, swimming and all their classes. Or it's £3.80 every time you swim so I'm thinking if I swam at least ten times a month then it's cheaper to get a membership. Plus it might encourage me to join a class or two (or even...eek...go in the gym).

So mission buy a swimming costume is going to commence on payday and then I might just go up there and sign up before I've had the chance to talk myself out of it!
Original post by lolololol

Sorry didn't see your post before I quoted everyone else who'd replied. A couple of people have noticed my loss but they're all people who know I'm on a diet. But then again my mom isn't the kind to give out compliments if not true!

Ah well I guess the only thing that matters is that hopefully by the time I go on holiday I will have got to my target pre-holiday weight and will feel a bit better in myself!
Morning all :smile:

Run time. Going to attempt my longer route again - I'm feeling more alive that I was on Sunday, and it's earlier (so hopefully cooler), so I'm hoping it won't be as horrible as last time.
Reply 1585
Eating porridge with a few chocolate peanuts in for breakfast. Nom.

Frozen satsumas are also my new snack food :coma:
Reply 1586
Original post by lolololol
I've only lost about 20lb and I haven't noticed a massive difference. My friends and family don't know I'm "on a diet" (hate to call it that because it isn't what they associate with diets...) and haven't noticed a difference really except for my mum but she noticed when I put on weight at uni and told me so :rolleyes:

I was telling my friend about how I couldn't be vegetarian because I would never get enough protein (not my only reason lol I like meat too much too) and they didn't know why we need to eat protein and I said I like to have enough whilst on a calorie deficit so I don't lose too much muscle and they looked confused and asked how I knew about nutrition and I said I'd lost over a stone and she looked sceptical...

I guess I dressed well when I was bigger, lol. I guess I carry a bit of weight better than I think. The only difference I've noticed is that anything I have in a 12 is too big now and size 8 dresses fit properly now. I'll know when I'm done because I'll fit into my 26 inch jeans (although they are a big 26) comfortably rather than having flab when I wear them now :tongue:

I think you have to lose a lot for people who see you every day to notice, as it is a gradual process. I've lost then gained a stone and nobody noticed and I still fit in the same clothes. I thought it would have been more obvious because the weight fluctuation has been in the 10 - 11 stone range, so it's not as if I could lose a huge amount anyway, I could probably be 9 stone minimum :s-smilie:
Posting about BED last night made me want to test myself. As Goldsequin said, it really does take a stronger person to do things in moderation than it does to cut things out completely. So, I decided that I'd test myself a little bit. Mum had a box of chocolates out that I got her for Mother's Day, and I accepted a few. Four, to be exact. Now, this isn't anywhere near the same as them being MY chocolates, because it would have been rude to eat the whole box, and they weren't my favourites either (I'm not feeling strong enough to try moderating Galaxy Counters just yet..) but even so, in the past I would have eaten at least double that number, or carried on sharing them with my family until the box was finished. I stopped at my 4 and let the rest of my family carry on. Therefore, I'm proud of myself. I've come a long way. I'm not saying I'm cured or anything, because I don't believe that ANY ED truly leaves us completely, but I am certainly "in recovery".

I think I didn't tell anyone I had an ED because everyone expects people to be dangerously thin, not the opposite. When anyone says ED, you automatically think AN or BN, not BED. But now I think if I can help other people to understand themselves by posting information about myself, then I certainly am going to post about it from now on. Now that I am a normal weight, now that I know I can succeed.
Reply 1588
Posting about BED last night made me want to test myself. As Goldsequin said, it really does take a stronger person to do things in moderation than it does to cut things out completely. So, I decided that I'd test myself a little bit. Mum had a box of chocolates out that I got her for Mother's Day, and I accepted a few. Four, to be exact. Now, this isn't anywhere near the same as them being MY chocolates, because it would have been rude to eat the whole box, and they weren't my favourites either (I'm not feeling strong enough to try moderating Galaxy Counters just yet..) but even so, in the past I would have eaten at least double that number, or carried on sharing them with my family until the box was finished. I stopped at my 4 and let the rest of my family carry on. Therefore, I'm proud of myself. I've come a long way. I'm not saying I'm cured or anything, because I don't believe that ANY ED truly leaves us completely, but I am certainly "in recovery".

I think I didn't tell anyone I had an ED because everyone expects people to be dangerously thin, not the opposite. When anyone says ED, you automatically think AN or BN, not BED. But now I think if I can help other people to understand themselves by posting information about myself, then I certainly am going to post about it from now on. Now that I am a normal weight, now that I know I can succeed.

As stupid as it might sound to some people, I understand how difficult situations like that can be. Cutting chocolate out of your diet completely would be a lot easier than learning to have it in moderation, but by doing so you'd still be letting food rule your life. There's no such thing as an unhealthy snack if you have a balanced diet and eat in appropriate moderation.

Good luck with your recovery, you've managed to conquer your BED to such an extent so far that you've got down to a healthy BMI and weight :smile: It would be stupid to say that you're over it entirely because, as you say, EDs may never leave people completely, but I honestly think one of the hardest parts is over for you. You've admitted that you have a problem, you've succeeded to thus far address it by altering your attitude towards eating, and you've been helping countless other people with their problems along the way, whether they want to gain 5lbs or lose 50.

I've lurked in this thread forever, and occasionally I'll choose a random page from near the beginning to see how far some of you have come. It's inspiring stuff.

:hugs: that must have been a really tough step to take, to test yourself like that. Hopefully it's a sign of even better things to come :smile:

----

Back from my run. I felt a lot better than last time, although slightly disappointed that I only managed to cut 30 seconds off my time (I'd really hoped to do it in under 40 minutes, which would have been 2 minutes faster than last time).

I guess running is just something I really need to peservere at - I'm not a natural runner, so it's going to take a lot of time/effort to get my speed/stamina up :s-smilie:
Original post by Kate.
All the time! No matter what I eat for breakfast I'm starving by around 10.30-11am (usually have an apple around this time). I often have something around 3-5pm, like a couple of pieces of dark chocolate/a biscuit/sugar free jelly/crackers & hoummus, etc. Then I have my actual dinner about 6.30-7.30pm...and I'm reaching for snacks again at 9pm, haha. I don't buy much junk food though so most of the stuff I have isn't too bad. Defrosting my dinner now but I'll probably have natural yoghurt and berries later on.

yay makes me feel much better! i don't really eat after dinner/8pm but generally have 2 snacks between lunch and dinner haha
Reply 1591
Original post by Liam_G
As stupid as it might sound to some people, I understand how difficult situations like that can be. Cutting chocolate out of your diet completely would be a lot easier than learning to have it in moderation, but by doing so you'd still be letting food rule your life. There's no such thing as an unhealthy snack if you have a balanced diet and eat in appropriate moderation.

Good luck with your recovery, you've managed to conquer your BED to such an extent so far that you've got down to a healthy BMI and weight :smile: It would be stupid to say that you're over it entirely because, as you say, EDs may never leave people completely, but I honestly think one of the hardest parts is over for you. You've admitted that you have a problem, you've succeeded to thus far address it by altering your attitude towards eating, and you've been helping countless other people with their problems along the way, whether they want to gain 5lbs or lose 50.

I've lurked in this thread forever, and occasionally I'll choose a random page from near the beginning to see how far some of you have come. It's inspiring stuff.

PRSOM. We're all rooting for you, Angel! :hugs:
As for me, just had second discharge-the therapist came to the conclusion I don't have an eating disorder as much as extreme anxiety around food, weight and shape still. It has virtually the same effect but it's a product of GAD more than anything. Anyway, I think they've helped me to figure out what's going on and move forward from here. Seems to be working so far, the anxiety's reducing a little. I hope it's not just because of downtime for Easter, but I'm enjoying the respite all the same.
Yesterday was my own little test. Despite a pretty damn bad day food wise , practically no guilt or worry about anything. I had a Zizzi Classico when eating out with a friend (amongst other bits and bobs through the day!) and actually, it was great, second pizza this year and the first I've enjoyed in two. Catching up with my friend before they head back home for the holidays was lovely and far more important than the food anyway, and later I had a brilliant game of badminton with Dad which I'm really getting into. The important thing was the indulgence wasn't a punishment, it wasn't for self-piteous comfort and I was completely in charge of the decision; it was just what I fancied, and that in moderation can do a world of good. I'm learning half the battle is faith in the strength of your own judgment. :smile:
I love this sunny weather, it really feels like brighter days ahead ^ ^
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Liam_G

[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];36896383']:hugs: that must have been a really tough step to take, to test yourself like that. Hopefully it's a sign of even better things to come :smile:

Original post by Riku
PRSOM. We're all rooting for you, Angel! :hugs:
As for me, just had second discharge-the therapist came to the conclusion I don't have an eating disorder as much as extreme anxiety around food, weight and shape still. It has virtually the same effect but it's a product of GAD more than anything. Anyway, I think they've helped me to figure out what's going on and move forward from here. Seems to be working so far, the anxiety's reducing a little. I hope it's not just because of downtime for Easter, but I'm enjoying the respite all the same.
Yesterday was my own little test. Despite a pretty damn bad day food wise , practically no guilt or worry about anything. I had a Zizzi Classico when eating out with a friend (amongst other bits and bobs through the day!) and actually, it was great, second pizza this year and the first I've enjoyed in two. Catching up with my friend before they head back home for the holidays was lovely and far more important than the food anyway, and later I had a brilliant game of badminton with Dad which I'm really getting into. The important thing was the indulgence wasn't a punishment, it wasn't for self-piteous comfort and I was completely in charge of the decision; it was just what I fancied, and that in moderation can do a world of good. I'm learning half the battle is faith in the strength of your own judgment. :smile:
I love this sunny weather, it really feels like brighter days ahead ^ ^

Thanks for the messages of support everyone. It seems strange to be getting messages like "good luck in your recovery" NOW, because this is something I've been "recovering" from for three years, so in a way it feels like I'm "recovered".. if that makes sense. Also it scared me a bit. I lurked in the eating disorders thread for a while, and all the recovery talk was scary, because I never thought it'd be me.. I never felt as though I had an ED, I just kind of assumed I was greedy. Which tbf I am sometimes lol but it's more than that at other times.

I can honestly say I wouldn't be in this position today if it weren't for you guys. You've all been so supportive and I can never thank you enough for that. As much as I still have reservations about my body, the love for my new "look" and healthy weight is enough motivation to keep my recovery nice and strong. Just hope when I reach my goal weight I can manage to stay good.. but we shall see.
After months of not coming on this thread, and not properly logging on MFP and falling 'off the wagon' - I'm baaaack! :biggrin:

Hoping to start the C25K programme, just need to gear myself up to it lol.
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
This is me and I feel like there's a sort of driving force pushing me to eat it to the point where I feel physically sick. It goes through phases but it's calmed down in recent weeks (probably because I haven't been sticking to the diet much) but there was a point where every single sunday (don't know why it's specifically sunday) I would eat to the point where I felt ill and emotional about it. I think its calmed down recently because I force myself to go to the gym early every sunday morning and I find it helps.
I struggle to know when to stop with food. Like i'll open a box of chocolate or flapjacks and eat the entire thing really quickly as though it's my last meal and eating to point of sickness rather than satisfaction. For me, it takes a stronger person to eat good things in moderation and know when enough is enough, than it does to completely eliminate them altogether. I just wanna be normal with food!

I haven't been diagnosed with anything but this is exactly how I feel, shoving food at your face at 60mph and not even really noticing what it tastes like or when you're full. Just eating until you feel sick. It is horrible, it's far easier to just avoid things that set off something like that but then that's not a healthy relationship with food either.
hello! I started slimming world last week and I need to lose 2 stone before I go on holiday in June. hope it's ok to post here, some of the progress is outstanding!
Original post by infairverona
hello! I started slimming world last week and I need to lose 2 stone before I go on holiday in June. hope it's ok to post here, some of the progress is outstanding!

Hey, of course it's alright to post, everyone's welcome on here :-). Well done on joining Slimming World. To be honest I think I could have done with that kind of motivating group years ago but I never got around to it. Never mind.

I wish you the best of luck, and don't forget to keep us all updated with your progress!
Went shopping for healthy food with my sister today :smile:
Feeling very good :biggrin: the weather is great and I have no excuse for not exercising and eating good since I`m back home for a while.
Tried to do some skipping though and hit myself on the arm >_< really hurt...
C25K W5D3 tomorrow ^^
Hey, of course it's alright to post, everyone's welcome on here :-). Well done on joining Slimming World. To be honest I think I could have done with that kind of motivating group years ago but I never got around to it. Never mind.

I wish you the best of luck, and don't forget to keep us all updated with your progress!

Thanks! Looks like you've done amazingly on your own though, I just needed a kick up the bum really. Lost 7.5lbs in the first week strangely, probably just water and such but nice motivation all the same!
Original post by infairverona
Thanks! Looks like you've done amazingly on your own though, I just needed a kick up the bum really. Lost 7.5lbs in the first week strangely, probably just water and such but nice motivation all the same!

Well I'm not on my own really, my family and friends have been amazing, plus everyone on here has helped a lot as well :biggrin:. We always lose more in the first week, yeah it's mostly water, but there will be at least a couple of pounds of fat in there :biggrin:. Well done!

Latest