The Student Room Group

How to make the best medicine uni choices

Hi,

I would like some advice on the best way of choosing my 4 medicine universities. I will be reapplying for 2013 entry, as I have ended up with 4 rejections this year. I feel like that when I had my choices the first time round, I had based it on if I liked the university on the open day, and if I enjoyed talking to the students that studied there, and basically did some research on those unis. I had originally applied for: Cambridge, UCL, King's College, Barts and the London.

I would like to be more tactful and think through my choices more carefully when choosing universities for next year's entry. I have 4 A's at AS, and an A*A*A prediction for A2 (Bio, Chem, Maths). I was thinking of looking up League Tables and applying to the lowest ranked universities for Medicine, but league tables are really unreliable, so are there any better methods?
Original post by EternalDoom
Hi,

I would like some advice on the best way of choosing my 4 medicine universities. I will be reapplying for 2013 entry, as I have ended up with 4 rejections this year. I feel like that when I had my choices the first time round, I had based it on if I liked the university on the open day, and if I enjoyed talking to the students that studied there, and basically did some research on those unis. I had originally applied for: Cambridge, UCL, King's College, Barts and the London.

I would like to be more tactful and think through my choices more carefully when choosing universities for next year's entry. I have 4 A's at AS, and an A*A*A prediction for A2 (Bio, Chem, Maths). I was thinking of looking up League Tables and applying to the lowest ranked universities for Medicine, but league tables are really unreliable, so are there any better methods?

Wait to see what your grades are and what you score in the UKCAT next year. When you have these you can think about applying to ones that do/don't place emphasis on GCSEs or A-levels etc, those that place emphasis on the interview, UKCAT, etc. All depends on your circumstances.

For me I tried to apply tactically based on the universities that don't use the "once at interview stage everyone has a clean slate" as I'm not great at interview. HYMS state on their website they consider everything, St Andrews place only 20% emphasis on the interview but a whooping 50% on grades (which goes in my favour), Cambridge well I wanted a shot at it, and Barts I heard they like reapplicants.

Don't base it on league tables as quite often lower ones are still very popular. There's not a correlation between league table ranking (which apparently means nothing) and competition.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kingbradley6
Wait to see what your grades are what what you score in the UKCAT next year. When you have these you can think about applying to ones that do/don't place emphasis on GCSEs or A-levels etc, those that place emphasis on the interview, UKCAT, etc. All depends on your circumstances.

For me I tried to apply tactically based on the universities that don't use the "once at interview stage everyone has a clean slate" as I'm not great at interview. HYMS state on their website they consider everything, St Andrews place only 20% emphasis on the interview but a whooping 50% on grades (which goes in my favour), Cambridge well I wanted a shot at it, and Barts I heard they like reapplicants.

Don't base it on league tables as quite often lower ones are still very popular. There's not a correlation between league table ranking (which apparently means nothing) and competition.

looking at your sig, good luck with that interview at barts today mate.
Hey didnt you put a back up???

So far Im on two rejections... (Kings and Barts...)

But kinda confused since your grades are better than mine...

What was your ukcat/bmat this year???

Also you should have considered applying to St Georges... (They interviewed me on monday...)
Original post by Pride
looking at your sig, good luck with that interview at barts today mate.

Thanks :smile: I had it - was at 9. I was surprisingly nervous and don't think it went well, but we shall see.
Reply 5
Original post by Kingbradley6
Thanks :smile: I had it - was at 9. I was surprisingly nervous and don't think it went well, but we shall see.

ahh in the morning. OK well you can never tell can you. Good luck. Would you go there if you got an offer, or do you like St Andrews more? or Hull?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi,

League tables are pointless for medicine. I was told that I applied to places that were too highly ranked last year, but I know thats not true. It wasn't to do with how well respected they were, its to do with the fact I didn't display the qualities that they were looking for.

basically, find your weak points, and find your strengths (after you have your grades and UKCAT) and see where you will be best placed. I had it in my head, that if I had an interview, I'd be okay. My problem was getting things down on paper well enough to impress. So I applied ot lots of places which put emphasis on grades and UKCAT to guarantee an interview. I knew before I applied that I was almost guaranteed interviews at all of the places I applied to. The only one which was a risk was Sheffield, but I knew from feedback that they liked my PS last year, so it would stand to reason they'd like it again this year.

To cut a long story short, wait, concentrate on your A levels, and ask us again later. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hi,

NEVER EVER underestimate a med schools league table position... sometimes its makes them MORE competitive.

I would say only 1 bmat uni (if any) and also apply to places according to your strengths. Are you more academic or extra-curricular/sporty.
Also, actually look up the admissions process, not just the general requirements. This will help you see how far you will get in the process. Some places have a cut-off, others don't. Some rank and select the top 25%, others have a fixed figure.
Really quizz the unis, and dont be afraid to ring them/contact them to ask their opinion about you :smile:
Reply 8
Your strength is your stellar GCSE results! Your UKCAT score is above average, and personal statement of course I don't know how good it was. "Strategic application" would mean applying to those which emphasises academic ability, like St. Andrews and Birmingham. If you felt that you personal statement was good, applying to Southampton and Aberdeen would be suitable too.

For me, I shortlisted universities that I feel I would have a high chance of receiving interviews by looking at their selection process, and then further refining the list by finding out on their course.

League tables are meaningless for medical applications.
Reply 9
Original post by H.J.P
NEVER EVER underestimate a med schools league table position... sometimes its makes them MORE competitive.

I would say only 1 bmat uni (if any) and also apply to places according to your strengths. Are you more academic or extra-curricular/sporty.
Also, actually look up the admissions process, not just the general requirements. This will help you see how far you will get in the process. Some places have a cut-off, others don't. Some rank and select the top 25%, others have a fixed figure.
Really quizz the unis, and dont be afraid to ring them/contact them to ask their opinion about you :smile:

Surely thats the point though - you can't tell anything about teh admissions of a medical school from its league table position?

Apart from anything else, they completely change between different tables and different years. I remember one (I think it was Brighton) that I was looking at. In one league table, it was 10th, and in another, it was right at the bottom. Means nothing.
Reply 10
Original post by twelve
Surely thats the point though - you can't tell anything about teh admissions of a medical school from its league table position?

Apart from anything else, they completely change between different tables and different years. I remember one (I think it was Brighton) that I was looking at. In one league table, it was 10th, and in another, it was right at the bottom. Means nothing.

I think what can be inferred from the person's post that you quoted is that the lower ranked places have the potential to be more competitive, because not everyone will come on tsr and find out that league tables are redundant, and there will always be applicants who are somewhat insecure, who think they can give themselves the best chance by applying to a 'lower ranked' university. When in actual fact what they do not realise that many people will think the same way.
The league tables are very subjective so don't assume a low ranking uni is an easier uni to get into. A lot of the league tables take into account student satisfaction. Some universities don't have a lot of people contributing to the survey so it is easier to sway the satisfaction marks. If you look at the league tables over the last few years, you can hardly call it consistent. Schools are jumping up leagues tables and some randomly drop down quite a bit, and then pick up again the year after because of the student satisfaction surveys. Very subjective stuff.

I think the best way to choose your uni is to pick 2 unis where you would love to go to. And maybe the other 2 being back up unis where you meet the entrance requirements and stand out more. The unis that you had selected are all very popular universities, hence, the competitiveness.
Original post by H.J.P

I'd just like to add on the BMAT note.... Obviously, don't pick more than 2 BMATS, thats too much risk.

But, saying that, a good BMAT (over the cutoff) will get you an interview at Imperial, and then the odds are in your favour, about 70% chance of an offer.

UCL is similar interms of the odds after invitation to interview, but being invited for interview also requires good academics all round, but a good BMAT (seems) to be valued highly.

So BMAT is a risk, but if you end up on the right side, the risk is well worth it, if you don't, you lose two choices.

Something you gotta think about :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending