The Student Room Group

Help me channel my enthusiasm!

So having just been given an unconditional offer to med school, I am super super enthusiastic about medicine and am desperate to start now!

I am on a gap year working as an HCA and I mostly take blood blood pressure etc.

I was wondering if any medics had any recommendations as to what I could do/learn before I start in september that will make my life easier in the first couple of years of the course.

Are there any areas which are easy to understand but just take ages to learn, or is there anything that you just wish you knew before starting the course?
Reply 1
some will say chill out and take it easy, you could do that. Or you could read stuff..

I cant recommend anything in particular, maybe revise A-level biology stuff because thats what you'll be building on at first or perhaps look at some anatomy. neither will put you super duper ahead but it's somewhere to start.
Original post by Steerforth
So having just been given an unconditional offer to med school, I am super super enthusiastic about medicine and am desperate to start now!

I am on a gap year working as an HCA and I mostly take blood blood pressure etc.

I was wondering if any medics had any recommendations as to what I could do/learn before I start in september that will make my life easier in the first couple of years of the course.

Are there any areas which are easy to understand but just take ages to learn, or is there anything that you just wish you knew before starting the course?

This is exactly the position that i am in at the moment. I too can't wait to start medical school and I'm working as a HCA.
Hurry up September..please:rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by groovyangel2008
This is exactly the position that i am in at the moment. I too can't wait to start medical school and I'm working as a HCA.
Hurry up September..please:rolleyes:

Awesome, what kinda stuff do you do as an HCA?

And which uni are you going to?
Yeah, probably go over your A Level biology if you really want something to do. I would usually advice against doing any work over the summer holidays to school leavers asking for suggestions for things to read up on over the summer holidays, but you have ages to wait, already have your place confirmed and probably want something to do to keep the brain awake over the next few months.

But don't feel the need to go over board with this. Go on holiday with the money you would have saved up working as a HCA!
Awesome, what kinda stuff do you do as an HCA?

And which uni are you going to?

Birmingham 4 year medicine course (Graduate entry programme)

And as a HCA Im involved in taking blood pressures, pulse, temp etc (filling early warning charts) cleaning patients..just ensuring patients are comfortable..same as your role I expect!

Which uni are you off to?
Reply 6
Original post by groovyangel2008
Birmingham 4 year medicine course (Graduate entry programme)

And as a HCA Im involved in taking blood pressures, pulse, temp etc (filling early warning charts) cleaning patients..just ensuring patients are comfortable..same as your role I expect!

Which uni are you off to?

Cool, I got an offer from manchester, but still waiting on Newcastle and Glasgow, so I'm not entirely sure where I am off to yet!

I'm work in a GP surgery, so I mostly take blood. I also see people with chronic conditions such as high blood pressure or coronary heart disease for their checkups on a regular basis.

I have really enjoyed working there for the past 7 months and will be sad to leave as the team here is awesome.

I'd love to have some experience in a hospital though, must be a very different environment to what I work in.
Cool, I got an offer from manchester, but still waiting on Newcastle and Glasgow, so I'm not entirely sure where I am off to yet!

I'm work in a GP surgery, so I mostly take blood. I also see people with chronic conditions such as high blood pressure or coronary heart disease for their checkups on a regular basis.

I have really enjoyed working there for the past 7 months and will be sad to leave as the team here is awesome.

I'd love to have some experience in a hospital though, must be a very different environment to what I work in.

Trying to get a head start on the curriculum won't help you much. The teaching is all structured around an assumed base level of knowledge, anything more than that might mean that you are a bit more familiar with certain concepts but you won't be 'left behind' if you did no reading at all.
Reply 8
As a non-science person entering a graduate-entry medicine course, I wish I'd learned more basic science before I started - especially biology-type stuff. But if you're from a science background do what the others said and chill out and go on holiday.
Reply 9
Cram in the over-time whilst you're still earning so you have a financial cushion to fall back on once you start (especially if they muck up your loan app). And go on holiday. Enjoy your freedom while you've got it!
Reply 10
Just go chill and have fun and relax. You have 5 years of intense study ahead...why start earlier than needed? Congrats on your offer.
Original post by DexterM
As a non-science person entering a graduate-entry medicine course, I wish I'd learned more basic science before I started - especially biology-type stuff. But if you're from a science background do what the others said and chill out and go on holiday.

This. It's really easy to say "oh, don't worry about reading anything in advance", but if you're not up to speed on your basic Biology, it'd be worth sorting that out, just so you hit the ground running when you start. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending