The Student Room Group

Do girls do stuff for Valentines?

Been in a relationship for a bit over a year... anyway, last year was when we had our first kiss (day before valentine's day) and the next day he left me a handmade card in locker at work... I wasn't expecting anything, and didn't do anything myself.

So, this year I'm not really planning anything either... But wondering if I should? Do girls usually do anything?

Also, this is me: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1917886
(At the moment I'm the one who does all the nice stuff, planning stuff to do, getting us gig tickets, wearing hot underwear, going for meals etc. so I've been trying to tone it down a little...)
Just another way of spending MORE money.
Reply 2
I just made a card, he made me brownies :smile: i do nice stuff all year, cba with valentines really!
I don't, I don't believe in it. I make that known though so he doesn't do anything for me either. :tongue:
Reply 4
Didn't we establish before that you need to withdraw and see if he notices? :tongue:

At least this time, you have an excuse because you didn't do anything last year. You wanna see if he does something for you.

The other thing is, you're asking other people whether you should or not. If everything was right with him, you wouldn't need to ask others' opinions, you'd do what you felt was right.
Reply 5
Well i posted him a jokey 'entitled for one smooch' handmade voucher thing... But nothing from him :frown: :frown: :frown:
Maybe he just doesn't dig the overtly romantic gestures? I've not done anything for M and he's not done anything for me. It's a little disappointing when one person does something and the other doesn't (see xkcd.com/1016/) but that could be alleviated by talking to each other ahead of time.

Personally, I'll do something if I get a flash of inspiration or if the other person is doing something for me. Otherwise, they can have a cuddle and a blow job.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Schmokie Dragon
Maybe he just doesn't dig the overtly romantic gestures? I've not done anything for M and he's not done anything for me. It's a little disappointing when one person does something and the other doesn't (see xkcd.com/1016/) but that could be alleviated by talking to each other ahead of time.

Personally, I'll do something if I get a flash of inspiration or if the other person is doing something for me. Otherwise, they can have a cuddle and a blow job.

I thought that... but last year he made me a really cute card and hid it in my locker at work... Which was really cute (it was the day after our first kiss) This year, nothing. :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I thought that... but last year he made me a really cute card and hid it in my locker at work... Which was really cute (it was the day after our first kiss) This year, nothing. :frown:

Don't be sads.

You're a year in. Honeymoon period has probably worn off and it's now if you find out if he's romantic or if he tends to make a special effort at the start of a relationship. And if he isn't romantic? I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to adore him so focus on those and not his card buying habits. And next time talk about your plans (even if it's just 'so are we doing V Day?') and don't be disappointed because you made the wrong assumption.

how can you say this year nothing?? the day isn't over yet
Reply 10
Original post by Dragon_Keeper
how can you say this year nothing?? the day isn't over yet

Because he isn't at work today, he'll be at home rehearsing with his band. And I'm not seeing him. And he doesn't do spontaneous surprises... I've turned into a moody **** :ahee:
Reply 11
Original post by Schmokie Dragon
Don't be sads.

You're a year in. Honeymoon period has probably worn off and it's now if you find out if he's romantic or if he tends to make a special effort at the start of a relationship. And if he isn't romantic? I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to adore him so focus on those and not his card buying habits. And next time talk about your plans (even if it's just 'so are we doing V Day?') and don't be disappointed because you made the wrong assumption.

Yeaaaah you're right, I'm just having a wee bit of trouble adjusting to the wearing off of this honeymoon period... Seems I'm still in it, and he's not. It's weird because I was always like V day is such commercial crap blah blah, and now I'm in a relationship I'm upset he's not done anything. Why did I have to be one of those girls :facepalm:
there is absolutely nothing wrong with girls doing something for their guys on valentine's day, ffs.
The Japanese do it.
Reply 13
I posted him a little voucher I made him, saying Good for 1 X with lots of little inside jokes...

I got to work and saw he's left me an orange with a heart drawn on and a folded A4 paper with a quick valentines scrawl... I couldn't help but be upset on the train home watching girls with their flowers and underwear bags and all sorts of other gift bags... I actually cried loads when I got home, feeling like complete **** because I realised after going out for a year and a half, yes I would like to be noticed a little by my own boyfriend. I don't ask him to buy me things, I buy lots of things for us to go out together. He could do little free things to show he cared. But he doesn't. A quick few texts at night which he always cuts short. And now I don't have the balls to call him on V day to tell him. I know I'm not overreacting, my friend who's been going out with her bf for a lot less than a year got loooads from her bf... Ugh. And there are men out there who give me so much more attention than he does but all I want is for him to treat me like I see other guys treat their girls. He called me needy the other day. But it isn't ****ing needy to want some attention from the guy you love. Feel crap. Going to sleep.
Reply 14
Original post by strawberry
there is absolutely nothing wrong with girls doing something for their guys on valentine's day, ffs.
The Japanese do it.

pls be honest, i wrote the guy i fancy a poem 8 messages long about how he was cute and stuff, quite funny and not at all mushy and texted it to him. is this ok? we are just friends
Reply 15
Been in a relationship for a bit over a year... anyway, last year was when we had our first kiss (day before valentine's day) and the next day he left me a handmade card in locker at work... I wasn't expecting anything, and didn't do anything myself.

So, this year I'm not really planning anything either... But wondering if I should? Do girls usually do anything?

Also, this is me: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1917886
(At the moment I'm the one who does all the nice stuff, planning stuff to do, getting us gig tickets, wearing hot underwear, going for meals etc. so I've been trying to tone it down a little...)

So last year he gave you a card and you gave him nothing.

This year you're planning on giving him nothing.

You, are a catch.
Original post by shinytoy
pls be honest, i wrote the guy i fancy a poem 8 messages long about how he was cute and stuff, quite funny and not at all mushy and texted it to him. is this ok? we are just friends

I don't see a problem.
Reply 17
Original post by Zamolxes
So last year he gave you a card and you gave him nothing.

This year you're planning on giving him nothing.

You, are a catch.

I take him out regularly... Pay for meals, pay for gigs, dress in pretty underwear for him... I thought I'd leave this one up to him to see what he does. And as I thought, he did something completely ****. Gave me a flimsy paper card and an orange. I **** you not.
I like to do stuff. One year I made heart shaped biscuits with pink icing. I iced my boyfriends initial on a couple and gave them to him, my mum did the same for my dad. I always get a card for my boyfriend, but spend more money on anniversaries.
I take him out regularly... Pay for meals, pay for gigs, dress in pretty underwear for him... I thought I'd leave this one up to him to see what he does. And as I thought, he did something completely ****. Gave me a flimsy paper card and an orange. I **** you not.

At least you got a card and a present. I got a text and that is the best thing he has done for Valentines in six years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending